Ominous Josh Allen Comparison

Howler

Yikes!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/this-statistical-comparison-should-have-bills-worried-about-josh-allen

Despite the positivity surrounding Allen, there’s an ugly statistical truth: former Bills quarterback E.J. Manuel was a better passer by this point in his career. And he got benched for it. Allen is now four games into his second season. That’s when the Bills benched Manuel, who passing statistics were better than Allen’s have been. Their running abilities tell a different story, with Allen being far superior.

Edited by Howler

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'll ask this question again because it went unanswered last time: What exactly is the difference between Allen and someone like Logan Thomas, who had ostensibly the same skill set coming into the NFL but actually faced better competition at the college level?

Josh has at least shown some competence. He wasn’t supposed to start last year. He was a raw prospect who everyone knew his only shot at succeeding would take a while. Is what it is at this point i guess. Sucks because i really like him as a person

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The upside is certainly capped here. But if you can get prime Colin Kaepernick out of him (not a guarantee, but I think it's the best you can hope for), it still may be good enough to get some big time play off wins. 

The major problem I see with him is the lack of touch on his long ball accuracy. When you have a top 3 arm like Allen does, you have to perfect that part of your game. Allen has the arm talent to bust up cover 2 routinely. He should just be working on his mechanics all year, until they are flawless. He's never going to be Drew Brees, but at least he can refine his strengths. 

Edited by Howler

6 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

How about getting him a target that wouldn't be a number three option on most teams in the NFL?

Their group (Brown, Beasley, Jones)  isn't bad, but they don't exactly have generous catch radiuses. But Josh keeps missing open guys downfield. Most of the time, he's overthrowing them. 

Edited by Howler

30 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Josh has at least shown some competence. He wasn’t supposed to start last year. He was a raw prospect who everyone knew his only shot at succeeding would take a while. 

Again, how does that differentiate him from someone like Logan Thomas? 

It just baffles me that this dude was the #7 overall pick when literally the only positive attributes he had as a prospect were arm strength and athleticism. 

Edited by Starless

EJ Manuel had Robert Woods. Sammy Watkins and Marquise Goodwin to throw to.

He also only had to beat out Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassell and couldn't do it. 

I am not Josh Allen's biggest supporter but I do stand up for him when people say things that are blatantly wrong or out of context.

He has made strides this year in accuracy, taking what the D gives him and not taking off running any chance he has. Yesterday was his worst game as a pro and the aforementioned didn't hold true.

I put more stock into how he played the first 3 weeks over how he played against BB and that Pats defense that has made everyone look bad.