Los Angeles Rams @ Seattle Seahawks - Week 5

showtime

Huge game for both teams.  The 49ers are 3-0 and both the Rams and Seahawks are 3-1.  Big game to keep pace in a very competitive division.  I don't think the Rams or Seahawks defenses are playing very well right now.  Jared Goff has looked shaky to start this season.  I'm expecting him to get better at some point and for the Rams to use Todd Gurley more.  Goff was a big reason why the Rams were in such a big hole vs Tampa Bay last week.  I'm expecting to see more Gurley to slow the pace down.  Seattle's secondary is exploitable, so that's worrisome with Woods, Kupp and the other receiving threats the Rams have.  I'm hoping for a close game, but this might end up being a shootout.

Two most important matchups - Seattles D-Line vs LA's O-Line & Seattes Secondary vs LA's WR. Both kinda go hand in hand. 

If Seattles front 7 cant generate consistent pressure, LA's WR are going to be running wild through the secondary. If Seattle can win up front, the secondary has to keep everything in front of them. Big ifs though.

• Like 1

To me this is 100% a D-Line matchup.

The Rams OLINE is not what it was (and Gurley doesn't appear to be his early 2018 self either). Whitworth is showing age and they were down 2 starters before the season. Goff is a TERRIBLE QB under pressure, BUT he does make all the throws/reads when given time. If Seattle can't get pressure the Rams will be able to move the ball easily through the air given Seattle's secondary is terrible.

As for the Seahawks, I don't expect Carson/Penny to have a big game because the Rams do have a decent stop unit up front. However, like Seattle their secondary is old/terrible and they can't stop the pass either. If Wilson has time he'll be able to abuse the safeties over the top with Lockett/Metcalf and find Dissly underneath. 

I see this going either two ways. It'll be a low scoring affair if both teams create pressure on the QBs, because I don't see Carson/Penny or Gurley having a big game. Clowney + Woods and Donald + Brockers is not going to spell a lot of success in the run game. If there's NOT pressure on the QBs, I expect Goff to be moving the sticks with Kupp/Woods/Cooks routinely which will force Wilson to throw who should also move the sticks at will. 

IMO either going to be a low scoring affair or a shootout. I know that seems like I'm covering all bases, but I don't think it's going to be one of those 20-17 type games. It's going to be like 13-10 or 34-31 or something.

• Like 1

I actually thought Gurley looks pretty good on a few of the touches he got in the game vs the Bucs.  The problem is, they were always down by so much that they could not really hand the ball off.  I'm expecting them to run the ball really early.  That should help take some pressure off of Golf.

On the flipside, the Rams defense looked all-time bad last week.  They made Winston and Godwin look like Montana and Rice out there.  There will probably be opportunities to make big plays vs the Rams secondary as long as they can block for Wilson, which seems to be quite the task vs the Rams.

Well it came down to the DL... both looked pretty bad, lol. Wilson generally had all day on some playactions, and once Goff got time he was just making it rain. I said 34-31, add the two missed field goals and it's 33-32, so there ya go. Started out looking like a low scoring affair, but the DLs either petered out quick or couldn't adjust, and then it morphed into the shootout I was referring to. We REALLY need Reed back because at this point Jefferson/Clowney are the only ones getting to the QB. I guess I can pardon Ansah a bit since he's been out of football for a while, but yikes. 

I like our next week matchup against Cleveland. Cleveland's run D is... not good, and our strength is the run and Penny/Carson/Prosise should provide a pretty good 1-2 and 3rd down punch. On the flip side, Cleveland's big strength at the moment is Chubb. Fortunately our run defense has been stellar with Big Al Woods, Clowney, and Wagner... and hopefully Collier suits up next week since his strength in college was rush defense. Shut down Chubb and I think we're good. OBJ is obviously a problem but I think we can safely double team on a # of occasions. 

It was troubling to see Seattle staying in a base 4-3 most of the Rams game when they had 4-5 receivers on the field but I get our secondary is pretty banged up - sometimes you gotta play pure talent... it would've been nice to see more nickel this game though. Now NEXT week I'd be all for leaving the 4-3 on the field. Keep Chubb locked down at all cost. If OBJ and Landry are all we have to worry about and Mayfield is throwing (not Goff) I'm not as worried. Goff is nearly flawless/perfect in his pass/reads when he has time. Mayfield not so much. Mayfield has a tendency to stare down.

Edited by NFL_Announcer
  • Like 1

Obviously this was a huge win for the Seahawks.  Awesome game.  Prime time games in Seattle are the best and both teams put on a show tonight.  Wilson played an amazing game, the running game was consistent and the defense played better than I thought they would.  They gave up some big plays, but the Rams offense has a lot of weapons.  Huge win.

• Like 1

Hey folks - Brooksie from the Dawg Pound stopping by for a visit.

I want to express my gratitude for you folks giving this old man the pleasure of watching two of the most incredible pass catching plays I have seen in a long long time.

The catch that Dissly made down the seam in the second quarter reminded me an awful lot of how Terry Bradshaw used to torment us. High release point, ball high in the air for what seems like an eternity - and at exactly the right time, the bombardiers doors open, and out drops the football gently into the intended receivers arms with pinpoint accuracy. I still have nightmares about those.

The Rams defender could not have covered that play much better. It was just better execution by Wilson and Dissly. I can see why you folks love Will.

But the other play really is a candidate for play of the year. I am talking about the Wilson laser to the corner of the end zone to Tyler Lockett. Just like Troy Aikman in the booth, when I saw it live - I thought there is no way that was a catch, no way he held on to it and kept his feet in bounds...............

And then we checked the tape.

First of all, how did Russ even remotely think that pass had a chance? Or did he just throw it to a spot and hope for the best? Probably.

But Tyler Lockett! What incredible focus he has. I am sure all he was thinking about was "Ball, Feet". In that order. That ball was placed in a position where no other player could get it, and Lockett had to exert herculean effort to snag it.

I hope I am not getting ahead of myself - but that pass was worthy of Canton, Ohio.

And now, the Hawks get a mini bye before facing...... my Cleveland Browns.  Oh boy.

Two incredible plays. Well done.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

Iupati needs to be benched. He is worse than Ifedi. I thought Jones did a solid job coming in for Fluker. 

A lineup of Brown - Jones - Britt - Fluker - Ifedi would be an improvement.

Slight over reaction, before this game, Iupati was probably Seattle best performing lineman. 

BUT its nice to know Jones can play inside outside. Was really scared when I saw him lineup at LG, but he didn't seem to make any big mistakes. Fant, Jones and Pocic (who needs to get his ish together) over a ton of flexibility along the line. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Slight over reaction, before this game, Iupati was probably Seattle best performing lineman. 

BUT its nice to know Jones can play inside outside. Was really scared when I saw him lineup at LG, but he didn't seem to make any big mistakes. Fant, Jones and Pocic (who needs to get his ish together) over a ton of flexibility along the line. 

You think so? I've seen him and Ifedi whiff or just not block somebody multiple times a game this season watching the game live. I dont have the access to rewatch games so i cant go back and see. Brown has been the best in my opinion. Especially in pass protection 

On 10/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

You think so? I've seen him and Ifedi whiff or just not block somebody multiple times a game this season watching the game live. I dont have the access to rewatch games so i cant go back and see. Brown has been the best in my opinion. Especially in pass protection 

Iupati had a bad game against the Rams but yeah Ifedi has been our worst offensive linemen this season.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:04 AM, brooks1957 said:

Hey folks - Brooksie from the Dawg Pound stopping by for a visit.

I want to express my gratitude for you folks giving this old man the pleasure of watching two of the most incredible pass catching plays I have seen in a long long time.

The catch that Dissly made down the seam in the second quarter reminded me an awful lot of how Terry Bradshaw used to torment us. High release point, ball high in the air for what seems like an eternity - and at exactly the right time, the bombardiers doors open, and out drops the football gently into the intended receivers arms with pinpoint accuracy. I still have nightmares about those.

The Rams defender could not have covered that play much better. It was just better execution by Wilson and Dissly. I can see why you folks love Will.

But the other play really is a candidate for play of the year. I am talking about the Wilson laser to the corner of the end zone to Tyler Lockett. Just like Troy Aikman in the booth, when I saw it live - I thought there is no way that was a catch, no way he held on to it and kept his feet in bounds...............

And then we checked the tape.

First of all, how did Russ even remotely think that pass had a chance? Or did he just throw it to a spot and hope for the best? Probably.

But Tyler Lockett! What incredible focus he has. I am sure all he was thinking about was "Ball, Feet". In that order. That ball was placed in a position where no other player could get it, and Lockett had to exert herculean effort to snag it.

I hope I am not getting ahead of myself - but that pass was worthy of Canton, Ohio.

And now, the Hawks get a mini bye before facing...... my Cleveland Browns.  Oh boy.

Two incredible plays. Well done.

Russell Wilson is amazing.  He's probably one of the best ever when a play breaks down and he has to make something out of nothing.  The connection between Wilson and Lockett is unreal.  Great plays all-around.

Looking forward to the game next week.  Should be a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Russell Wilson is amazing.  He's probably one of the best ever when a play breaks down and he has to make something out of nothing.  The connection between Wilson and Lockett is unreal.  Great plays all-around.

Looking forward to the game next week.  Should be a lot of fun.

I have not seen anyone who comes remotely close. You are correct, my good sir.

• Like 1