2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

Ha, looks like Minnesota found some defensive tackles that played pretty good when they had the chance - #97 and #99. 😀

So will they be looking for defensive ends in the draft instead of DT’s?

This is the first game this year that it seemed like Zimmer was really coaching instead of going through the motions.

10 hours ago, since72 said:

Ha, looks like Minnesota found some defensive tackles that played pretty good when they had the chance - #97 and #99. 😀

So will they be looking for defensive ends in the draft instead of DT’s?

This is the first game this year that it seemed like Zimmer was really coaching instead of going through the motions.

This is the first time that Danielle has really extensively played at DT, but I know earlier in his career, Everson did it quite a bit himself, especially when he was backing up Jared.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I was certainly surprised by the lack of time Kearse saw. Figured he'd be a key COG in a Vikings victory.

Which is another sign that "he gone" after the season.  I'm sure he's frustrated about it...and we may not see much of him this weekend either, considering the 49ers don't have any big receivers with Jalen Hurd on IR.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which is another sign that "he gone" after the season.  I'm sure he's frustrated about it...and we may not see much of him this weekend either, considering the 49ers don't have any big receivers with Jalen Hurd on IR.  

I don’t understand.  Why would they get rid of him?  Kearse has played well when given the chance... or am I wrong?  Seems to be solid on ST too.

1 minute ago, since72 said:

I don’t understand.  Why would they get rid of him?  Kearse has played well when given the chance... or am I wrong?  Seems to be solid on ST too.

For one, they can’t afford him. Secondly, why would Kearse want to come back, I’d assume he wants to start somewhere or have a more prominent role. He just won’t get that in MN having Harris and Smith at safety and Alexander as the primary nickel Cb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

For one, they can’t afford him. Secondly, why would Kearse want to come back, I’d assume he wants to start somewhere or have a more prominent role. He just won’t get that in MN having Harris and Smith at safety and Alexander as the primary nickel Cb.

Agreed.  He wants to be more involved in a defense, and he ain't gonna get that here, especially now that Harris is due for an extension.  Who knows, maybe they'll be able to get Marcus Epps back.  :D

1 hour ago, since72 said:

I'm sure they'd love to re-sign him but not at the price he'll likely get on the open market.

• Like 1

What kind of contract do you guys think Harris would be demanding? I am curios to see how we are gonna pay Harris (if we decide to) considering there isn't much cap space left. Rhodes being cut seems to be a popular option unless he performs really well in rest of the post season. I also expect Griffen to continue.

41 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

What kind of contract do you guys think Harris would be demanding? I am curios to see how we are gonna pay Harris (if we decide to) considering there isn't much cap space left. Rhodes being cut seems to be a popular option unless he performs really well in rest of the post season. I also expect Griffen to continue.

Kenny Vaccaro got 4 yrs, $24M with about $12M guaranteed last year from Tennessee...he's about the same age, so start there, but go up because he's better overall than Vaccaro.  

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kenny Vaccaro got 4 yrs, $24M with about $12M guaranteed last year from Tennessee...he's about the same age, so start there, but go up because he's better overall than Vaccaro.  

Somewhere between Eddie Jackson and Vaccaro would be my guess.