Callahan Practices

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bill-callahan-redskins-presser-we’re-getting-back-to-fundamental-football/ar-AAIxaEo

Conditioning

Drive Starters

Referees at practices

Penalties

Fundamental football

Running game

Sounds good to me. Now Callahan may not be our next coach but at least his priorities are quite different than JG.  Some feel the problem was not JG but Allen. To me JG had his faults also.

• Like 1

I’m not putting a ton of faith in Callahan’s analytical skills — more run attempts lead to wins? or, you know, maybe it’s the other way around — but I like most of the changes he appears to be implementing. It’s important to stop treating these guys like they’ve earned something, because all most of them have earned to this point is a pink slip. You’re a well-paid professional and you don’t want to work on basics and fundamentals and conditioning in practice? Win some ballgames. Prove you don’t need it. 

I actually hope he’s as much of an asskicker as possible. I’m talking Bobby Knight status. That would allow the next coach to come in, be a total stickler for details and preparation, and still be perceived as something of a player’s coach. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not putting a ton of faith in Callahan’s analytical skills — more run attempts lead to wins? or, you know, maybe it’s the other way around — but I like most of the changes he appears to be implementing. It’s important to stop treating these guys like they’ve earned something, because all most of them have earned to this point is a pink slip. You’re a well-paid professional and you don’t want to work on basics and fundamentals and conditioning in practice? Win some ballgames. Prove you don’t need it. 

I actually hope he’s as much of an asskicker as possible. I’m talking Bobby Knight status. That would allow the next coach to come in, be a total stickler for details and preparation, and still be perceived as something of a player’s coach. 

<Bolded> Beat me to it E. 

I love a good run game but I'm not sold that he can transform us into a run first team and it lead to tons of wins. But yeah, the bolded? Spot on. We've lost with them by doing it the easy way. They have gotten so spoiled that they whine about practices with pads on.

You get something like 13 or 14 practices in pads during the season. If I were Callahan (and I know that Jay hasn't done ANY practices in pads), I'd have one every week. In fact, I'd have 2 practices a week for the next 3 weeks and then taper it down to one once they start winning or improving. Make them earn pads-less practices again.

And the new coach next year should do the same thing. Win? And no pads in practice the next week. Lose? And one day you're in full gear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

<Bolded> Beat me to it E. 

I love a good run game but I'm not sold that he can transform us into a run first team and it lead to tons of wins. But yeah, the bolded? Spot on. We've lost with them by doing it the easy way. They have gotten so spoiled that they whine about practices with pads on.

You get something like 13 or 14 practices in pads during the season. If I were Callahan (and I know that Jay hasn't done ANY practices in pads), I'd have one every week. In fact, I'd have 2 practices a week for the next 3 weeks and then taper it down to one once they start winning or improving. Make them earn pads-less practices again.

And the new coach next year should do the same thing. Win? And no pads in practice the next week. Lose? And one day you're in full gear.

I earn 15 million a year. And I do it with little effort and a locked contract. Then you think you can roll in and demand me and my million dollar buddies to up and work our tails off when were paid the same either way and the season is over?

Thats the culture problem we have now. 20 years of it. Like SVP said, weve tried a couple coaching legends, college legends and all else. Its not just something where you say, "Im gonna whip these guys into shape." Cause it would have been done by now. Look at Kyle Shan with the 49ers, after leaving us he was in the Super Bowl with the Falcons. Look around the league and see what sprouted from the Redskins. Weve had great position and head coaching worthy talents. We need a ground up restoration, not just a coat of shiny paint to fix all the issues we have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

I’m a big fan of ALL of it. This team has needed a kick in the rear like this forever. Im sure Callahan will also hold these guys accountable in the meeting room too, which is just as important

I’m not so sure about accountability. I wish it were true, but Callahan has never been a disciplinarian. And the ultimate discipline is 1. Large fines, 2. Followed by being traded or released. He doesn’t have the power to do either with Brice here. He’s a soft spoken nice guy. Smart at OT techie but I don’t want my coach to be a hugger- I want him cold blooded gangster like Bill B, Bill W, Joe G, Tom L and our former OC in LA. McVay won’t hug you, he’d put his boot in your backside. Callahan is not  my pick for HC, but he’s better that tard gruden 

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I earn 15 million a year. And I do it with little effort and a locked contract. Then you think you can roll in and demand me and my million dollar buddies to up and work our tails off when were paid the same either way and the season is over?

Thats the culture problem we have now. 20 years of it. Like SVP said, weve tried a couple coaching legends, college legends and all else. Its not just something where you say, "Im gonna whip these guys into shape." Cause it would have been done by now. Look at Kyle Shan with the 49ers, after leaving us he was in the Super Bowl with the Falcons. Look around the league and see what sprouted from the Redskins. Weve had great position and head coaching worthy talents. We need a ground up restoration, not just a coat of shiny paint to fix all the issues we have.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all here. My point is that it has to start...somewhere... in the organization. The quickest route is in the coaching staff. But yeah, the front office needs to change as well so they back up what the coaches are doing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

It's why I said everyone in the front office needs to go.  The anonymous leaks need to stop.  Everyone needs to be on the same page working for the franchise to sustain winning.  The only reason to keep anyone at this point (i.e. Kyle Smith) would be because you put him in charge and believe he can run the whole show.  If not, gone with the rest of them.  The Orioles are doing this, and it's time the Redskins follow suit.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's why I said everyone in the front office needs to go.  The anonymous leaks need to stop.  Everyone needs to be on the same page working for the franchise to sustain winning.  The only reason to keep anyone at this point (i.e. Kyle Smith) would be because you put him in charge and believe he can run the whole show.  If not, gone with the rest of them.  The Orioles are doing this, and it's time the Redskins follow suit.  

I forget where I heard this, but someone on the radio was saying that Callahan was the leaker bc he had some kind of connections or would be the only one to know certain things that were reported.

Damn, I'm sorry I can't remember more about it and where I heard it. I think it was Galdi and Doc, but it didn't make me feel good about Callahan.

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

I forget where I heard this, but someone on the radio was saying that Callahan was the leaker bc he had some kind of connections or would be the only one to know certain things that were reported.

Damn, I'm sorry I can't remember more about it and where I heard it. I think it was Galdi and Doc, but it didn't make me feel good about Callahan.

These things have been going on for years.  It goes deeper than an Assistant Head Coach, but I'm sure the possibility exists he joined in on it at some point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

These things have been going on for years.  It goes deeper than an Assistant Head Coach, but I'm sure the possibility exists he joined in on it at some point. 

I believe a lot of it comes from Bruce himself when it suites his interests.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Burgundyblog narrowed it down to three people who had connections to Mike Lombardi. Callahan was one of them