Arthur Smith

titans0021

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. To sum up the thread, Tannehill played great, CD and AJ could be special, line was better, Henry popped on film. All of that in order to score 23 points on 2.5 points per possession against a 2-5 team. That seems less than ideal.

Yep. Nothing goes together. 
It's a whole lot of, let's see if this works.  lol

I think that Tanny and the WRs might make this look better than it is and save Arthur's job. 

A lot of things had to go well. Combination of the Chargers missing players in the secondary and defensive line and uncertainty how to defend Tanny in this offense. 

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yep. Nothing goes together. 
It's a whole lot of, let's see if this works.  lol

I think that Tanny and the WRs might make this look better than it is and save Arthur's job. 

A lot of things had to go well. Combination of the Chargers missing players in the secondary and defensive line and uncertainty how to defend Tanny in this offense. 

It’s the disaster scenario. I cannot imagine a worse situation than bringing a rookie QB into this system.

I don't think Tannehill continues to play at that level. The OL wasn't that much better, their DL just wasn't good and Tannehill wasn't holding on to it as long as Mariota. OL still wasn't great at run blocking and a large percentage of Henry's yardage came after contact again.

Without the OL improving I think Tannehill will eventually regress in this offense. We need some shot plays, nothing was attempted much more than 20 yards.

Honestly I don't think Smith can save his job. If we keep him I think he makes it more likely that Vrabel is fired with him next season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. To sum up the thread, Tannehill played great, CD and AJ could be special, line was better, Henry popped on film. All of that in order to score 23 points on 2.5 points per possession against a 2-5 team. That seems less than ideal.

I know they are 2-5, but the Chargers are still a top 10 scoring defense, and they are definitely a team that's better than their record suggests. Obviously not the playoff contenders they were made to be, but definitely not exactly an easy W either way.

Tanny was great, but above all, I think it showed that even Smith's system can work at least decently with a decent enough QB that can make it work. Throwing with anticipation, on time and with accuracy, outside the numbers, all those things were missing before. 

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

Tanny was great, but above all, I think it showed that even Smith's system can work at least decently with a decent enough QB that can make it work.

I mean, if you give me great QB and receiver play, a competent line and a good running back and put me up against a defense missing three linemen and two of its three best players, I’m pretty sure my Madden offense can look somewhat competent.

12 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this guy seems to be much more bullish on smith than i can imagine anyone is but the "we don't scheme people open" crowd really needs to give this a watch. it's 2019, every NFL team schemes receivers open https://vimeo.com/368175121

I’m 30 seconds in and already struggling lol. The pick was a terrible throw. Obviously I understand what they’re saying, but the all 22 showed that thing was destined to be intercepted even before RT got hit.

I’m now eight minutes and two plays in and both were tight window throws to covered receivers. I’m hoping it gets better lol.

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m 30 seconds in and already struggling lol. The pick was a terrible throw. Obviously I understand what they’re saying, but the all 22 showed that thing was destined to be intercepted even before RT got hit.

I’m now eight minutes and two plays in and both were tight window throws to covered receivers. I’m hoping it gets better lol.

yeah, it's really just a rebuttal to this insane idea that 31 other teams run route combinations designed to free up a receiver and we somehow missed the boat on that. doesn't mean arthur is doing a bang up job of it or whatever lol

Edited by -Hope-

Through the first half, six plays in. Five of them might as well come from Madden honestly. Deep cross into an impossible window, two hitches and two seam routes, basic middle hitch between two defenders. The only play that can be argued was schemed open was a 5-yard throw to AJ.

• Like 1

Watched almost all of it and think I just fundamentally disagree with him. It feels like he’s doing the thing that I try to avoid, which is equating a successful play with a good play call. 

There’s certainly some good plays in there. I think Art was at his best on the last two plays of the final TD drive. But mostly, even the positive plays were a result of basic route concepts and great throws and catches. I’m just not impressed by the basic TE shift to see if it’s zone or man. Running two outside hitches and two seams isn’t a clever play call. Going max protect with two deep crossers seems to be his best effort to negate a pass rush.

I watch the video and what I come away with is that it takes every part of the offense to be great in order for a play to be successful. There’s nothing original. There’s nothing creative. It feels like he’s taken 30 plays from Robiskie, 20 plays from LaFleur and sprinkled in a little Whiz and that’s the playbook.

12 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Watched almost all of it and think I just fundamentally disagree with him. It feels like he’s doing the thing that I try to avoid, which is equating a successful play with a good play call. 

There’s certainly some good plays in there. I think Art was at his best on the last two plays of the final TD drive. But mostly, even the positive plays were a result of basic route concepts and great throws and catches. I’m just not impressed by the basic TE shift to see if it’s zone or man. Running two outside hitches and two seams isn’t a clever play call. Going max protect with two deep crossers seems to be his best effort to negate a pass rush.

I watch the video and what I come away with is that it takes every part of the offense to be great in order for a play to be successful. There’s nothing original. There’s nothing creative. It feels like he’s taken 30 plays from Robiskie, 20 plays from LaFleur and sprinkled in a little Whiz and that’s the playbook.

i agree that there’s little that’s terribly creative or innovative about this offense, but i don’t agree that it takes every part of the offense to be great in order for a play to be successful. that’s just not true at all of the 3rd down play to humphries in the red zone, a couple of throws to brown, etc etc. those were pitch and catch, as easy as it gets and they were due to play design/route combinations and decisive QB play. what i’d like to see (and what i’m not terribly confident smith is capable of) is more of that and concepts that build on each other/take advantage of mismatches. but to act as though it’s not there at all is just plain wrong. like, people were claiming we never run rub routes and we ran a perfect one to pick up a crucial 3rd down that got AJ wide open. people claim we never split dion lewis our wide and send him on routes and there were like 3 or 4 examples of that in this video alone. idk what else to say.

49 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i agree that there’s little that’s terribly creative or innovative about this offense, but i don’t agree that it takes every part of the offense to be great in order for a play to be successful. that’s just not true at all of the 3rd down play to humphries in the red zone, a couple of throws to brown, etc etc. those were pitch and catch, as easy as it gets and they were due to play design/route combinations and decisive QB play. what i’d like to see (and what i’m not terribly confident smith is capable of) is more of that and concepts that build on each other/take advantage of mismatches. but to act as though it’s not there at all is just plain wrong. like, people were claiming we never run rub routes and we ran a perfect one to pick up a crucial 3rd down that got AJ wide open. people claim we never split dion lewis our wide and send him on routes and there were like 3 or 4 examples of that in this video alone. idk what else to say.

I think the difference for me is that these aren’t special things. Him using proper spacing to give a slot receiver room to operate shouldn’t be a noteworthy event (especially when we paid big money to bring in said slot receiver). Using a skinny post to open up an underneath slant route for five yards requires no thought. 

That is what I’m saying, not that we never do these things, but these things are what our offense should be based around. It shouldn’t take a 40 minute video to  show three plays where we won at the line due to coaching in a game where our quarterback dropped back to pass 35 times (29 pass attempts, two sacks, four non-sneak runs). 

If anything, it just made me think he’s even more of a liability. If you’re running through the best passing plays in a full game, and more of them were poor spacing plays that were converted due to great throws and difficult catches than there were competent route combinations and open receivers, I shudder to imagine what the other 25 passing plays we didn’t see looked like.

• Like 1