Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

I just wanna say, there's a legit chance we could be 7-0 going into Ohio State. Sure, it would mean we beat Michigan, NW and Michigan State but that's not too far a stretch, I don't think. We get them all at home, Sparty has terrible QB play, NW is breaking in a new QB and Michigan may be overhyped as hell.

Pre-season, this schedule looks filthy. I think we'll look back and see it was more like the 2016 schedule.

I simply cannot wrap my head around the fact that we have so much trouble finding a QB who can make consistent throws. It's been an issue ever since Wilson left. If we had consistent QB play, we'd be a juggernaut. Instead, we get stuck with game manager after game manager. 

Like, I don't understand how Illinois gets Brandon Peters as a transfer but we stick with Jack Coan.

Edited by beekay414

Buy: True freshmen QBs

Years from now, it'll seem crazy we ever thought starting a true freshman quarterback was a bad thing. From Trevor Lawrence to Jake Fromm, there's history now that suggests you can not only win with a freshman, you can win big, and on Saturday, there were plenty of fireworks from the new kids. Boise State's Hank Bachmeier waltzed into Tallahassee and utterly demolished Florida State's defense, throwing 51 times for 407 yards and a touchdown. Meanwhile, Sam Howell (once a Florida State commit) led a huge second-half comeback for North Carolina, finishing with 245 pass yards and two touchdowns, and Arizona State's Jayden Daniels threw for 284 yards and accounted for three touchdowns in a win over Kent State.

And then there's Bo Nix, who struggled early, but ended the game with the biggest TD pass in the last five years for Auburn, a lob into the hands of Seth Williams with nine seconds to play. The lone loss by a true freshman belongs to Brett Gabbert at Miami (OH), who actually looked pretty good against Iowa, throwing for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Sell: Dan Mullen as the best old guy dancer in college football

Mullen's moves during a Week 1 win last year gave hope to middle-aged guys everywhere, but they pale in comparison to Mack Brown's ability to get jiggy with it. Ever wonder what your grandfather would look like at a Bruno Mars concert? Wonder no more. (Also, did Mack throw a little Macarena in there? Nice.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal190831/bo-nix-heroics-mack-return-fields-5-td-debut-top-wild-week-1

And we won't play Mertz

19 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I simply cannot wrap my head around the fact that we have so much trouble finding a QB who can make consistent throws. It's been an issue ever since Wilson left. If we had consistent QB play, we'd be a juggernaut. Instead, we get stuck with game manager after game manager. 

Like, I don't understand how Illinois gets Brandon Peters as a transfer but we stick with Jack Coan.

We're the LSU of the Big 10. Can't understand for the life of me how that program can't get a QB either. Great OL and backs, strong defense and usually in title contention without a QB. No one's touching Bama/Clemson over the last few years but I feel like we'd be in the same realm as the OSU/Georgia/Oklahoma's of the world if we had good QB play.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, beekay414 said:

To be fair, it was an issue before Wilson showed up. 

Badgers QB history over the past 30 yrs is "....just a guy just a guy just a guy RUSSEL WILSON just a guy just a guy just a guy...."

11 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Wonder what the spread will be for the game next week. 

I was at CMU's game last week, defense looked absolutely terrible, specifically the pass d. 

The offense definitely looked improved. If i had to guess the spread I'd say around -17ish Wisconsin.   

Well I was off by double that. 

19 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Outside of the few misfires. I didn't think Coan looked that terrible. He didn't look great, but I don't think he's gonna be a liability out there.

Not a liability, correct, but he needs to hit those deep balls consistently or this offense is going to stagnate vs legit defenses. Reason why some of us want Mertz is because the deep ball is something he does really well. Think he could take the top off this offense and make it the juggernaut it should be with the weapons we have at WR/TE and RB.

Scott Nelson, Logan Bruss and Izayah Green-May are all out vs CMU with various injuries. Probably just being cautious as we have the bye week and then Michigan afterwards. Eric Burrell, David Moorman and Noah Burks are expected to start in their places. Chris Orr is also in a small ankle brace but he's probably going to play.

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not a liability, correct, but he needs to hit those deep balls consistently or this offense is going to stagnate vs legit defenses. Reason why some of us want Mertz is because the deep ball is something he does really well. Think he could take the top off this offense and make it the juggernaut it should be with the weapons we have at WR/TE and RB.

He didn't look like a liability, but I saw nothing to close out last year or the other night to suggest he is any better than Hornibrook. That's why I want to see Mertz ASAP, he actually could take us to that next level. Coan almost certainly will not.