Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Do we know what year of eligibility Cephus is going to be? Is he just going to be a senior and then apply for a waiver (if he needs to come back another year) after the season?

Also, Jack Coan is our #1. He's the only QB that was made available to the press by PC so that's gotta mean something. Figure, with all we heard about Mertz and Wolf being good in camp (The B1G Show guys praised the entire group FWIW), Coan's leash isn't going to be crazy long. Also, really hope PC is done treating him with kid gloves and gives him the entire playbook to work with. I think the kid has talent. He's better than what last year showed.

Edited by beekay414

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Do we know what year of eligibility Cephus is going to be? Is he just going to be a senior and then apply for a waiver (if he needs to come back another year) after the season?

Also, Jack Coan is our #1. He's the only QB that was made available to the press by PC so that's gotta mean something. Figure, with all we heard about Mertz and Wolf being good in camp (The B1G Show guys praised the entire group FWIW), Coan's leash isn't going to be crazy long. Also, really hope PC is done treating him with kid gloves and gives him the entire playbook to work with. I think the kid has talent. He's better than what last year showed.

He's going to be a senior. I don't know if he would meet redshirt requirements, but I also don't think it matters since he could get a waiver anyway if he stayed. And speaking of that, he's probably not going to. That law firm can't advertise while he plays NCAA football, so I'm imagining that he declares for the draft unless something crazy happens.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's going to be a senior. I don't know if he would meet redshirt requirements, but I also don't think it matters since he could get a waiver anyway if he stayed. And speaking of that, he's probably not going to. That law firm can't advertise while he plays NCAA football, so I'm imagining that he declares for the draft unless something crazy happens.

I'm assuming you mean after the season? Or are they already advertising with him?

On 8/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I saw Evan Flood refer to him as a junior a few times and UW site has him listed as a junior. Wonder if the waiver was part of the NCAA appeal.

Official Depth Chart for South Florida

Offense
QB: Jack Coan | Graham Mertz or Chase Wolf
RB: Jonathan Taylor | Garrett Groshek
FB: John Chenal | Mason Stokke
WR: AJ Taylor | Danny Davis
WR: Kendric Pryor | Quintez Cephus
TE: Jake Ferguson | Jack Eschenbach
LT: Cole Van Lanen | Tyler Beach
LG: Jason Erdmann or Kayden Lyles
C: Tyler Biadasz | Jason Erdmann
RG: Josh Seltzner or Kayden Lyles
RT: Logan Bruss | David Moorman

Defense
DE: Isaiahh Loudermilk | Matt Henningsen
NT: Bryson Williams | Keeanu Benton
DT: Garrett Rand | David Pfaff
OLB: Zack Baun | Tyler Johnson

ILB: Chris Orr | Mike Maskalunas
ILB: Jack Sanborn | Leo Chenal
OLB: Izayah Green-May | Noah Burks
CB: Faion Hicks | Caesar Williams
SS: Reggie Pearson | Collin Wilder
FS: Scott Nelson | Eric Burrell
CB: Deron Harrell | Rachad Wildgoose

Special Teams
K: Collin Larsh | Zach Hintzke
P: Anthony Lotti | Connor Allen
KR: Aron Cruickshank | Faion Hicks
PR: Jack Dunn | Danny Davis

• Like 1

If we can get consistent QB play, there's zero reason we shouldn't legitimately compete for the B1G West. That's, on paper, one of the most talented Wisconsin teams I've ever seen and that doesn't include some big name prospects like Logan Brown, Nakia Watson, etc. If Coan simply doesn't have it, I hope PC doesn't **** around and give him an unreal leash like he did with Hornibrook. Not when we have Mertz and even Wolf in the wings.

This team is chock full of talent. There's no reason we shouldn't get back to how we were before. 2018 was an outlier and I think this group will prove that. We have a difficult schedule, no question, but a lot of those key games are at home (Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue). We go to Ohio State, Nebraska and Minnesota. Gonna be either a really fun season or another growing pains type year. Coan doesn't have a lot of "prove it" time before the **** hits the fan lol.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever had less expectations than I do for this season. Maybe it's just that my spirit was absolutely crushed beyond repair last year? Highest preseason ranking ever ----> worst season in a decade + loss to Minnesota. It's also just the fact that we lost a lot of talent on the OL and on D, in all likelihood will still have frustrating QB play, and have our toughest schedule yet with Michigan and OSU from the East, and a fast improving West. I still expect us to compete for the divsion, but it will be close and I think 6-3 conference record will be enough for the crown. I think we have as low a floor as we've had since I can remember. 

Best case scenario, the returning starters are back for blood after last season's disaster and the new talent are simply upgrades over the overrated talent of last year. Staff is coaching with more urgency, we win the games we should and maybe eek out 1 or 2 that we won't be favored in. Coan ends up being a little bit better than Hornibrook.

9-3, win West. Lose the expected 2 games, and then lose 1 against Minny, Nebraska or Iowa

• at USF W
  • CMU W
  • Michigan L
  • Kent St W
  • Michigan St W
  • at Illinois W
  • at OSU L
  • Iowa W
  • at Nebraska W
  • Purdue W
  • at Minnesota L

Worst case scenario, the loss of talent is apparent and we are simply a worse or unimproved team in 2019. We get deja vu from last year, just this time we are going up against a tougher schedule. Coan sucks, maybe we throw Mertz to the wolves at some point. Either way we become a 1 dimensional team that simply can't beat the teams capable of stopping the run.

6-6, another slow start. We get a little stronger towards end of year by defending home turf against Iowa and Purdue but still end up as a fringe bowl team.

• at USF L
  • CMU W
  • Michigan L
  • Kent St W
  • Michigan St L
  • at Illinois W
  • at OSU L
  • Iowa W
  • at Nebraska L
  • Purdue W
  • at Minnesota L

I wouldn't rule out winning more than 9 or less than 6, but let's just say I'd be surprised if we don't win between 6 and 9 games.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

Also what's the consensus on Cephus's case? I know there wasn't enough evidence, but does it pass the smell test?... I really haven't looked into much since last Summer, where my takeaway was that Cephus was playing with fire with what he 100% did, and then may or may not have actually committed a crime, and I assumed he'd never be a Badger again for being dumb enough to get in the situation he was in.

You know I'd hate for the ONE thing that makes me feel a tiny bit better about being 2nd fiddle (or worse, at this rate), that thing being that we run a cleaner and quite frankly more ethical program than anyone us on our level or above, to be taken from me...