Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this 7 game "sample" is something that was done to see where Leonhard stands. If he doesn't want it after those 7 games, he's gonna stay on as DC IMO. I don't think there's another place he wants to coach, considering he's apparently turned down bigger opportunities and HC jobs, whether that be formal offers or interviewing.

LIS on Sunday night, my pipedream is Leipold taking over as HC and Leonhard staying on as DC. The rest of the staff can be filled however Leipold would want it. 

agree on this. 

Leonhard is going to coach these games and if the stress and spotlight of being the face of the University athletic department is too much, he might inform McIntosh that he is not interested in the HC spot.  how that happens via interview for the HC spot in the upcoming offseason is TBD. 

This feels like a potential turning point for UW football program.  It has been 15+ years since Alvarez stepped down as HC and this will be the 4th HC since with  some ups and more downs in the last 8-10 years.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I'll just say this...

If we lose to Nebraska, that should be the death knell for giving Leonhard the job without going hard after Leipold and other candidates. Even in that interview above, Flood kinda hinted at Jim not wanting that extra attention that comes with being HC so he may very well not truly want it full time. 

That may be him being overwhelmed at being promoted during the middle of the season out of nowhere as much as anything else.

• Like 1

Also, in that interview above with Flood, he says that Billy Schrauth was committed but the staff did bare minimum with him after and he ended up flipping to Notre Dame. 

So we completely tuned out two different 4* players that ended up going to Notre Dame and Michigan. Flood said that Wisconsin was Jimmy Rolder's dream school and we lost him because we showed no urgency after that debacle when he visited. Said the last visit was a "courtesy" visit since he felt spurned.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That may be him being overwhelmed at being promoted during the middle of the season out of nowhere as much as anything else.

He said that weeks prior to PC getting fired AFAIK. At least that's the way Flood presented it.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's what I get for not listening to the interview.

So you may be right. Flood gets into it at the 16 minute mark and even ponders that Leonhard may not want it but the quote that I was thinking was actually about him not liking mid-season firings. So, yeah, it was a blend of Flood bringing up that Leonhard may not want that added attention and not liking mid-season firings.

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Also, in that interview above with Flood, he says that Billy Schrauth was committed but the staff did bare minimum with him after and he ended up flipping to Notre Dame. 

So we completely tuned out two different 4* players that ended up going to Notre Dame and Michigan. Flood said that Wisconsin was Jimmy Rolder's dream school and we lost him because we showed no urgency after that debacle when he visited. Said the last visit was a "courtesy" visit since he felt spurned.

That’s crazy that a guy can get flipped from his dream school by the staff ignoring him and then not even doing anything to make up for it. I always thought no matter how good of a prospect I was at any sport I’d go to Wisconsin (not that I was good enough for anything, just a thought experiment), but if that happened to me I might feel spurned enough too.

This mid season firing might be ideal if Leonhard just finds out he doesn’t like being a head coach and realizes he just wants to be our DC for years and we can get Leipold. Seems like a good tandem without knowing anything about Leipold other than being from the state, dominating in a 2 team division III league and turning a couple lower D1 programs around.

• Like 1

Just now, packerstk7 said:

How much can we realistically expect to change from the offense after firing Chryst? 

It looks more fluid today than it did at any point this year. Giving Engram full control should improve it enough to be watchable. They look good today outside of that dumb wildcat play and the missed FG.

• Like 2