Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

It makes perfect sense, just thought the athletic department would settle for Chryst and refuse to cut the check.

It’d be really hard for me to not giving Leipold a call barring anything short of a miraculous turnaround. I like Leonhard, but Leipold just wins. Everywhere and always.

Yep. I love Jim and his loyalty but Leipold adapts to the talent around him and wins more ways than one. Plus, he's highly innovative and works well with his OC, Andy Kotelnicki, who has been with him since UW-Whitewater.

I think Leonhard keeps the Wisconsin tradition alive but Leipold would be the coach to take us to higher places.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think Leonhard will do well as a coach.

Serious question here, but how well can we expect any coach to be with the academic admission standards UW keeps for their student athletes that other schools do not? Is our ceiling 8-9 wins a year and a decent bowl game? Chryst definitely had them trending downward like an anchor the past couple years. Really need a coach that can bring players in and develop. 

very surprised that UW made this move mid season.  Didn't think the athletic department would have the desire to shell out buyout money.  Wonder if there were boosters that had seen enough and put some pressure on McIntosh to make the move.  

I would prefer Leipold over Leonhard at this time.  Would rather have the guy who has HC experience and a really good track record of winning as the HC at multiple stops.  What he is doing at Kansas is amazing.

29 minutes ago, Down to Earth said:

Serious question here, but how well can we expect any coach to be with the academic admission standards UW keeps for their student athletes that other schools do not? Is our ceiling 8-9 wins a year and a decent bowl game? Chryst definitely had them trending downward like an anchor the past couple years. Really need a coach that can bring players in and develop. 

Probably 8-10 wins with the occasional 1 loss season if things break right (Russell Wilson year).

Just now, squire12 said:

very surprised that UW made this move mid season.  Didn't think the athletic department would have the desire to shell out buyout money.  Wonder if there were boosters that had seen enough and put some pressure on McIntosh to make the move.  

I would prefer Leipold over Leonhard at this time.  Would rather have the guy who has HC experience and a really good track record of winning as the HC at multiple stops.  What he is doing at Kansas is amazing.

Leonhard at least deserves the shot to impress this year. If he turns this around who knows?

2 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Leonhard at least deserves the shot to impress this year. If he turns this around who knows?

The schedule is set up for a turnaround. 

@ NW  1-4
@ Mich St   2-3
Purdue   3-2 
Maryland   4-1
@Iowa   3-2
@nebraska   2-3 
Minnesota  4-1

I am just not sure that Leonhard is ready to be a HC

5-2 is the bare minimum record that Leonhard needs to have in order for me to not pursue Leipold. Saturday, for me, is huge. Northwestern is TERRIBLE. If they lose that game, I'm all-in on Lance and you approach Leonhard as the fallback. If he's spurned by that? Well, good luck. Love Jim but we can't just hand him the job.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

5-2 is the bare minimum record that Leonhard needs to have in order for me to not pursue Leipold. Saturday, for me, is huge. Northwestern is TERRIBLE. If they lose that game, I'm all-in on Lance and you approach Leonhard as the fallback. If he's spurned by that? Well, good luck. Love Jim but we can't just hand him the job.

yeah, that record sounds about right as a somewhat minimum.  certainly need to see some energy and life in the play on the field.  

not sure how much can be altered in terms of offense system, but let Engram run a more diverse and creative and certainly less predictable offense that plays to the strengths of the personnel. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

yeah, that record sounds about right as a somewhat minimum.  certainly need to see some energy and life in the play on the field.  

not sure how much can be altered in terms of offense system, but let Engram run a more diverse and creative and certainly less predictable offense that plays to the strengths of the personnel. 

The rest of the season will at least be worth watching now.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Yeah 5-2 has to be the cutoff. That schedule is about as light as you could ever expect in the B1G. 

I'm not sure what to expect either but I'd guess there won't be much different this soon. I'd hope we'd scheme more in the pass game and not run every damn 1st down. Northwestern's offense is terrible so this is the game to experiment since the defense won't be as stressed to cover the offense as usual.

I do hope we make changes on the OL. Nelson isn't a tackle, Tyler Beach sucks and Michael Furtney has absolutely no sand in his pants in the run game. With the risk of kids transferring, play your most talented kids, not this upperclassmen only Iowa type bull****.