Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah 5-2 has to be the cutoff. That schedule is about as light as you could ever expect in the B1G. 

I'm not sure what to expect either but I'd guess there won't be much different this soon. I'd hope we'd scheme more in the pass game and not run every damn 1st down. Northwestern's offense is terrible so this is the game to experiment since the defense won't be as stressed to cover the offense as usual.

I do hope we make changes on the OL. Nelson isn't a tackle, Tyler Beach sucks and Michael Furtney has absolutely no sand in his pants in the run game. With the risk of kids transferring, play your most talented kids, not this upperclassmen only Iowa type bull****. 

maybe that is the biggest opportunity will be the starting spots being open to be earned all over again.  

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah 5-2 has to be the cutoff. That schedule is about as light as you could ever expect in the B1G. 

I'm not sure what to expect either but I'd guess there won't be much different this soon. I'd hope we'd scheme more in the pass game and not run every damn 1st down. Northwestern's offense is terrible so this is the game to experiment since the defense won't be as stressed to cover the offense as usual.

I do hope we make changes on the OL. Nelson isn't a tackle, Tyler Beach sucks and Michael Furtney has absolutely no sand in his pants in the run game. With the risk of kids transferring, play your most talented kids, not this upperclassmen only Iowa type bull****. 

I have a feeling this is a Greg Gard type situation. Unless he finishes with a losing record (in his games) he will get the job because he’s already been eyed up as the replacement. Idk what to think. 

5 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

I have a feeling this is a Greg Gard type situation. Unless he finishes with a losing record (in his games) he will get the job because he’s already been eyed up as the replacement. Idk what to think. 

It definitely is. He’ll have to look actively bad as interim to not get the full time job I think. Perfect world you retain him at DC and bring in somebody proven, but I’m ok with handing him the reigns. Anything but what we’ve been doing (Chryst).

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It definitely is. He’ll have to look actively bad as interim to not get the full time job I think. Perfect world you retain him at DC and bring in somebody proven, but I’m ok with handing him the reigns. Anything but what we’ve been doing (Chryst).

Maybe he goes 2-5, realizes he isn’t ready to be a head coach, we hire Leipold and he stays on as DC for several more years and profit.

I think it'll also compound with how Leipold finishes the season at Kansas. 

If the job is just going to transition to Leonhard and the staff remains the same, well then I don't expect much actual change. Leonhard is a good coach but he's not a miracle worker. 

Leipold is also 58 years old. Who knows how long he's gonna coach for going forward. Its a longshot due to 1) Leipold won't wanna have to look over his shoulder every waking moment and 2) Leonhard won't want to be the second fiddle again, but I'd try to go for Leipold and retain Leonhard as DC. Unlikely to happen, I know. 

We need to approach this as a trial run and make a sound decision in the off-season. 

39 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Gard was Alvarez being lazy and saving money. I don't think McIntosh is going to just hand the job to Leonhard. If he earns it, by all means, remove the interim tag. 

14 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It makes perfect sense, just thought the athletic department would settle for Chryst and refuse to cut the check.

It’d be really hard for me to not giving Leipold a call barring anything short of a miraculous turnaround. I like Leonhard, but Leipold just wins. Everywhere and always.

In defense of Chryst, the guy was always authentic. I'll miss him as HC. He didn't win enough big games to be remembered long term, but he won a ton of football games, and his former players have been very positive about the guy as well. He deserves to take a year off to figure out if he still wants to coach, and if he does, he deserves a big job somewhere else.

Because of all that, I never thought we'd fire him. Glad we recognized that he had checked out and did it. Less glad that the timing puts pressure on the staff to make Leonard the long term HC, when the problem is and has been on the offensive side of the ball for a while now. I'd much rather gamble that we can bring in a DC to keep the 3-4 system going than trust Leonard to bring in an OC who fixes our OL, helps us develop QBs, etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In defense of Chryst, the guy was always authentic. I'll miss him as HC. He didn't win enough big games to be remembered long term, but he won a ton of football games, and his former players have been very positive about the guy as well. He deserves to take a year off to figure out if he still wants to coach, and if he does, he deserves a big job somewhere else.

Because of all that, I never thought we'd fire him. Glad we recognized that he had checked out and did it. Less glad that the timing puts pressure on the staff to make Leonard the long term HC, when the problem is and has been on the offensive side of the ball for a while now. I'd much rather gamble that we can bring in a DC to keep the 3-4 system going than trust Leonard to bring in an OC who fixes our OL, helps us develop QBs, etc.

Yeah the offense is broken. If we don’t happen to have a line that can get push to average 5-7 YPC we have no other option to score.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Outta the 8 years, how many times y'all win?

Believe we were 3-5, we won one by like 17 and they beat us once by 17 and then the rest were decided by 3 points or less, some really great games.

He's just a "kiss the rings" recruiter, or at least he was. Used the BS "you'll start here" and "don't go there, you don't fit their scheme" tactics a lot too. 

Mad respect for turning around some D1 schools though, no easy feat. I'll just always think of him as the enemy lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Believe we were 3-5, we won one by like 17 and they beat us once by 17 and then the rest were decided by 3 points or less, some really great games.

He's just a "kiss the rings" recruiter, or at least he was. Used the BS "you'll start here" and "don't go there, you don't fit their scheme" tactics a lot too. 

Mad respect for turning around some D1 schools though, no easy feat. I'll just always think of him as the enemy lol.

Oshkosh right?