Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

41 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

In Leipold's 8 years as UWW HC, he went 7-1 vs Oshkosh.

W by 12
W by 31
W by 33
W by 27
W by 3
L by 15
W by 3
W by 17

So I'd assume you were there his last 4 years.

Yeah we went up again Bullis a few times. The loss by 27 was my first year as recruiting coordinator. 

• Like 1

I like Chryst the person, but it was way over due on his time to go. He was a heck of a OC, but I always felt like being a HC was just one level too high for him. He didn't seem to like the work that went with it (booster events, spring game, etc.) and clearly was loosing his passion/fire/drive. I good nothing but the best for him going forward. 

I like Jim Leonhard, but I'm really on the fence if he has "it" to be the HC at this time in his career. He brings stability as the "in house guy" and has a good track record as a DC. BUT he has a limited coaching experience over limited time. Maybe he makes the jump, but I would have loved for him to get his feet wet as a HC at a smaller program prior to being thrown into the fire. 

If not Leonhard, then I'm rooting for Aranda. He has history at WI, has shown an ability to be a HC at an high level, and brings a constantly evolving coaching/recruiting style with him. 

1 minute ago, BluePacker said:

I like Chryst the person, but it was way over due on his time to go. He was a heck of a OC, but I always felt like being a HC was just one level too high for him. He didn't seem to like the work that went with it (booster events, spring game, etc.) and clearly was loosing his passion/fire/drive. I good nothing but the best for him going forward. 

I like Jim Leonhard, but I'm really on the fence if he has "it" to be the HC at this time in his career. He brings stability as the "in house guy" and has a good track record as a DC. BUT he has a limited coaching experience over limited time. Maybe he makes the jump, but I would have loved for him to get his feet wet as a HC at a smaller program prior to being thrown into the fire. 

If not Leonhard, then I'm rooting for Aranda. He has history at WI, has shown an ability to be a HC at an high level, and brings a constantly evolving coaching/recruiting style with him. 

Aranda is a guy that would bolt at the first sight of a bigger school though as we’ve already seen. Leonhard or Leipold would have some desire to stay you’d assume.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Aranda is a guy that would bolt at the first sight of a bigger school though as we’ve already seen. Leonhard or Leipold would have some desire to stay you’d assume.

Ok, I'm fine with that.  Especially if Aranda kicks UW into a higher gear, taps underused recruiting, and wins some big games to raise UW to a higher level nationally. By that time Leonhard will have HC experience and can come in. Win-Win.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

I'd be surprised if Aranda left Baylor for UW.

Pretty lateral move and less ideal recruiting base.

Eh, I don't agree that it would be like a lateral. Program wise I'd put Baylor a tier down, Wisconsin would definitely be a step up. No disrespect to Baylor, I actually like them

In terms of on field product in relevant history and more importantly, conference situation, Wisconsin is definitely a tier above Baylor. However, I’m sure it’s still easier to recruit there and probably less pressure. Aranda has no real ties to this program or area, so I doubt he’d leave.

Are we sure we’d even get Leipold if we wanted? Of course he’d leave KU for Wisconsin, but doubt we’d be only ones after him.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

In terms of on field product in relevant history and more importantly, conference situation, Wisconsin is definitely a tier above Baylor. However, I’m sure it’s still easier to recruit there and probably less pressure. Aranda has no real ties to this program or area, so I doubt he’d leave.

Are we sure we’d even get Leipold if we wanted? Of course he’d leave KU for Wisconsin, but doubt we’d be only ones after him.

Who knows? I guess it was assumed we’d get him ahead of other teams based on his local ties, but I’m not aware of anything concrete to substantiate that.

Leipold and Leonhard are the super short list I'd consider. If Leipold doesn't want the job, it's Leonhard's to lose.

High Priority: Lance Leipold, Jim Leonhard

Next in Line: Dave Aranda, Matt Campbell, Dave Clawson

Last Resort: Jake Dickert, Dave Doeren

Intriguing G6/Lower Level Options: Jason Candle, Curt Cignetti, Shawn Clark, Matt Entz, Sean Lewis, Jeff Traylor

In reality, it's gonna be either Leipold or Leonhard so the rest doesn't really matter.

• Like 1