Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Got a PWO from us. Nothing really special about the kid but played a lot out of the gun in HS. His COD skills are kind of comical (not in a good way) but hopefully he never really has to see the field too often for us. His ceiling is probably a Garrett Groshek.

This class is shaping up to be about on par with Paul Chryst when he actually had a dedicated staff. Losing the top 4 kids in state is unheard of and a pretty big black eye for Fickell.

Hopefully the transfer portal keeps delivering for us, think 3* U is here to stay. Least we seem to be after more raw, athletic 3* guys and Brady Collins has a long resume of turning these guys into pro talents. 

On 5/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, Packerraymond said:

Losing the top 4 kids in state is unheard of and a pretty big black eye for Fickell.

Meh. It's the first full go round for the staff and they're finding their fits. Not a black eye whatsoever considering they're still recruiting at top 20ish class. 3 of the top kids are OL too so that's really not all that big of a deal considering how we develop there and who we still have on the roster. 

On 5/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, Packerraymond said:

This class is shaping up to be about on par with Paul Chryst when he actually had a dedicated staff. Losing the top 4 kids in state is unheard of and a pretty big black eye for Fickell.

Hopefully the transfer portal keeps delivering for us, think 3* U is here to stay. Least we seem to be after more raw, athletic 3* guys and Brady Collins has a long resume of turning these guys into pro talents. 

I think Fickell has put himself in a position where immediate success is going to be critical. If the new offense comes out and looks strong, especially if we are still running the ball effectively and showing OL that they will develop here, I'm not concerned about a few in state OL leaving the state during the transition period. But if we look flat, I think that starts to become a much tougher sell.

That's the risk of trying something different.

Unless it comes out that this is because we're neglecting the Wisconsin HS coaches again like we did with GA, in which case that's indefensibly stupid just like it was last time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think Fickell has put himself in a position where immediate success is going to be critical. If the new offense comes out and looks strong, especially if we are still running the ball effectively and showing OL that they will develop here, I'm not concerned about a few in state OL leaving the state during the transition period. But if we look flat, I think that starts to become a much tougher sell.

That's the risk of trying something different.

Unless it comes out that this is because we're neglecting the Wisconsin HS coaches again like we did with GA, in which case that's indefensibly stupid just like it was last time.

I highly doubt they're ignoring the coaches. They went on major recruiting pushes throughout the area almost immediately upon arrival. Sometimes guys just aren't fits. 

On 5/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, beekay414 said:

I highly doubt they're ignoring the coaches. They went on major recruiting pushes throughout the area almost immediately upon arrival. Sometimes guys just aren't fits. 

I agree the staff has gone out of their way to advertise - sometimes literally - that they care about recruiting. Just trying to make it clear that my reasoning is that this is an acceptable short term risk, compared to what GA did which was a much bigger concern.

It's not whether we miss or hit, it's why.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

35 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

IF you want a more mobile OL than Harbour, I get it, think he's going to be a big 6'4 330 gap scheme guard by the time it's said and done. Smith and Sexton, don't get it at all. That's gun and run offensive talent to a T. To pick Dupree in IL over Smith is baffling to me when I watch their Hudl film. IMO you take anyone from CMH, Arrowhead and Kimberly that are 3* above and interested, fit or not. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

IF you want a more mobile OL than Harbour, I get it, think he's going to be a big 6'4 330 gap scheme guard by the time it's said and done. Smith and Sexton, don't get it at all. That's gun and run offensive talent to a T. To pick Dupree in IL over Smith is baffling to me when I watch their Hudl film. IMO you take anyone from CMH, Arrowhead and Kimberly that are 3* above and interested, fit or not. 

You can't make them come here. By the sounds of it, Smith wasn't super interested in Wisconsin.