BDL 2019 Week 7 - New Orleans Jazz @ Hawaii Nightmarchers

Whicker

New Orleans Jazz @ Hawaii Nightmarchers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Hawaii Nightmarchers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/24/2019 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2019 Week 7

Match:  New Orleans Jazz @ Hawaii Nightmarchers

Away Owner: @WFLukic

Home Owner: @Pickle Rick

Vote for who you think will win this game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

QB: Josh Allen
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
WR1: Michael Thomas
WR2: Tyler Lockett
WR3: D.J. Moore
TE: Zach Ertz
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joel Bitonio
C: Travis Frederick
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Riley Reiff

RB2: LeSean McCoy
RB3: Duke Johnson
WR4: Deebo Samuel *INACTIVE*
WR5: Zay Jones *INACTIVE*
TE2: Tyler Kroft
TE3: Nick Vannett
OL7: Bobby Massie
OL8: Connor McGovern

Defense:

DE: Nick Bosa
DT: Geno Atkins
DT: Calais Campbell
DE: Cameron Jordan
LEO: Josh Allen
LB: Danny Trevathan
CB: Stephon Gilmore
CB: Kyle Fuller
Slot CB: Chris Harris Jr.
SS: Micah Hyde
FS: Haha Clinton-Dix

DE3: Olivier Vernon
DE4: Chase Winovich
DT3: Johnathan Hankins
DT4: David Onyemata
DT5: Jeffery Simmons
LB3: Alexander Johnson
S3: Tedric Thompson
CB4: JC Jackson

Hawaii Nightmarchers

Offensive Starters:

QB - Russell Wilson

RB - Saquon Barkley

WR1 - Stefon Diggs

WR2 - Auden Tate 

WR3 - Diontae Johnson

TE - Vance McDonald

LT - Cam Robinson

LG - Marshall Yanda 

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Brandon Scherff 

RT - Bryan Bulaga 

Offensive Bench:

T - Taylor Decker

C - J.C. Tretter

G - Pat Elflein

RB -Tarik Cohen 

RB - Alexander Mattison

WR1 off bench - Tre'quan Smith *INACTIVE*

WR2 off bench - Christian Kirk *INACTIVE*

Defensive Starters:

DE - Jadaveon Clowney

DT - DeForest Buckner

DT - Sheldon Rankins

DE - Frank Clark

SOLB - Myles Jack

MLB - Roquon Smith 

WOLB - Demario Davis

CB1 - Marshon Lattimore

CB2 - Mike Huges 

S - Anthony Harris

S - Eric Weddle 

Defensive Bench:

Slot CB - Bobby McCain

DE - Kyler Fackrell

DT - BJ Hill

DT - Chris Wormley

4-4 LB - Harold Landry

CB - Charvarious Ward

CB - Kendall Sheffield

S - Karl Joseph 

Edited by Whicker

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

We aren’t going to mess with a winning formula, so Josh Allen will remain in at QB while we welcome McCoy and Moore to the offense. The gameplan will be to maintain possession, wind the clock down and limit Wilson and Barkley’s opportunities for explosive plays on the other side of the ball while our rhythm playmakers in Elliott and Thomas are given the chance to get hot and keep the chains moving.

As has been so throughout the Allen era, running the ball will be our focus and we plan to have as many as 40 carries. Elliott will get in the 25 range, while McCoy and Johnson, both working as change of pace backs should get about 10 between them and Allen around 5 on designed runs or scrambles. Elliott’s runs will be varied, while we plan to take full advantage of McCoy and Johnson’s footwork and burst with tosses to the outside, draws and misdirection to get them into one on one situations and able to make plays in the open field.

To support the run game, we’ve named 3 tight ends for the first time this season with the intention of running different sets featuring multiple tight-ends, in particular loading up on Clowney’s side given his ability against the run. On top of this, our jumbo package from last week will return with Massie sliding in as a 6th OL to go with the tight ends.

We do acknowledge that the weak point of the Hawaii D is their cornerback group. Therefore it may seem counterintuitive for us to focus on the run so heavily. However, the plan is to use this to work in the play action passing game. This will have the safeties cheat forward, and leave the cornerbacks on islands against our WRs. Ertz will generally roll out into the flats on these plays and will be Allen’s checkdown read, while Lockett will go deep and hopefully manage to evade double coverage while Thomas and Moore will work across the middle.

Defense:

Barkley’s back and we know he’s a difference maker for this offense and that’s why we’re planning to go heavier in the box. We’ve named 5 interior defensive linemen and 5 players capable of playing at defensive end with the intention of rotating heavily and keeping everyone fresh to hound Wilson but also not be worn down by the running game with Barkley. While the starters named will have the majority of snaps, i.e. between 60-70%, we plan on being creative with our use of reserve DL including defensive fronts of 4 interior dl or lighter ones for when Hawaii is in more obvious passing positions or where Cohen comes in for Barkley. 

Assuming Hawaii comes out with a 3 WR 1 TE base, our listed base defense will be used to counter this. We don’t expect a great deal of scheme versatility from Hawaii given the lack of personnel and as a result we haven’t practiced for a great variety of packages, but instead of have focused on the current one.

In terms of scheme, we’ll continue with our cover 1 scheme with the following assignments:

Stephon Gilmore – Auden Tate
Chris Harris Jr. – Stefon Diggs
Kyle Fuller – Diontae Johnson
Danny Trevathan – Vance McDonald
Micah Hyde – Saquon Barkley/Tarik Cohen

While Clinton-Dix will be the deep safety.

While we plan on rushing 5 a fair few times, Allen will also act as a QB spy of sorts with the idea of tracking where Wilson is plan to escape to/has been flushed to and attacking that point or otherwise hanging back near the LOS to ensure that Wilson doesn’t burn us on the ground.

Hawaii Nightmarchers

Gameplan 

Motivation:  we had a much better showing in our matchup last week.  We look to get that monkey off our backs and get that first win for  @Pickle Rick and @The Orca.  The return of Saquon Barkely (SB) should light things on fire ok the offensive side of the ball. 

Offensive Base Formation: Shotgun pistol formation, 2 WR split to the weak side.  TE and the other WR on the strongside. 

Pistolformation1a.png

Tempo: We are changing things up, this week going back to a normal tempo.  We will be looking to control the line of scrimmage and dominate the time of possession, all behind our king back Saquon Barkley.

Playcalling Distribution:

50% run

20% pass

20% playaction pass

10% RPO

Personnel Changes: We are moving Barkey back into the starting lineup.  He is healthy and ready to rumble. 

Running: Its time to ride the thoroughbred that our team is built around.  With Barkley back we expect to be in our base formation 50% of the time.  We will run variants with McDonald as a motion man or bring in Lattimore to be the motion man and help to be a lead blocker for SB. Being in the pistol our runs will be spread out to both side of the ball, keeping the NO defense off balance.  We expect BO to be in some form of a 4-3 defense so we will be working the edges mostly with SB.  Our favorite play this week will be 45 Whicker.  This play is a simple run that should provide big time yardage.  Man on man blocking with the TE doubling up on the DE to reach the second level and seal off the LB's to the inside, leaving a wide hole for Saquon to run through as we expect not much help between the edge created by the TE and the lone receiver on that side.  Whether NO is in zone or man this formation and set should provide huge plays.  On inside plays we plan on motioning our TE (80% of the time) or Lattimoredown inside and allow him to become a defacto fullback and clean up anyone left in the holes allowing SB to burst through with vengeance on his mind.  We have large and angry men up front ready to open the holes for our horse to stroll on through to the endzone.  

Passing: Our run game this week will be dominating our playbook, but we won't forget about the passing game.  Having one of the best QB's in the game to throw open our emerging WR's is always a bonus.  We will use a bunch of crossing routes and slants early on the game which we will shift to double moves on the outside later on and look to catch NO DB's cheating.  We have to great receivers, Diggs and Tate.  Both had huge games last week and with Barkely back we hope they continue their hot streak.  With LB's on the field trying to co train Barkely we will shift gradually to our passing game to get big chunck plays and then go right back to Barkely.  We also won't forget about Barkely here, getting him in screens and check downs will be the key to keeping the chains moving and controlling the clock. 

Playation and RPO's: we will be using these to catch NO crowding the box and cheating up to help stop Barkley.  Diggs had some long touchdowns last week after bicthing about the play calling so we will continue to keep him happy with some deep shot early on play action and use our slot receiver to sprinkle in the RPO's as the linebackers start to cheat more and more to help try and stop Barkley. 

Defense Base Formation: 4-3 defense, switching to Nickel in passing downs and dependent upon ingame situations.  The 4-3 D will be boosted this week by our new addition LB Myles Jack. 

Formation usage: 

4-3: 75%

4-4: 25%

pict-american-football-positions-diagram

Defensive Base coverages:

Cover 3 - 25 %

Cover 2 Man Under - 25%

Cover 1 Man - 25%

Quarters - 15%

Tampa 2 - 15%

Playstyle: we expect NO to come our with run heavy this week and even potentially play out of more 2 TE sets than they did last week. We will be combatting this with our beefed up LB core.  As Myles Jack is a solid defender in coverage we will be playing much more man this week, allowing our LB's to blitz more freely and often.  Regardless of the formation being shown by NO we will stay in either a 4-3 or 4-4 D.  If they run more  WR or pass heavy sets we will shift to increasing our zone coverage.  If they stay in 3 WR set or less Jack will take the WR/TE.  We are loading up to stop Zeke and it will be clearly evident by our 7 and 8 man boxes.  Our newly promoted CB will get help over the top and smart times a double team to decrease the shots that NO take at him.  Once they realize they can't run on us, our star Wdge guys will be let lose to force their QB into some bad throws.  

Tl;dr: Barkley is back and we are riding him all day and night.  Edge runs like 45 Whicker where it's man on man blocking with the TE doubling up to seal of the LB's creating big holes for Barkley.  Once they are in shock from Barkley we hit em with the playaction bombs to Diggs and screens and check downs to Barkley.  He will be big 2 games in a row.  Defense will be predominately 4-3 man D, to combat the 2 TE formation and run heavy attack from NO.  If they go 4WR we will stay in 4-3 and 4-4, moving Jack to the outside.  We will be doubling the receiver our newly promoted CB is on.  Barkley all day and night baby!!!

I will first say I think both teams have strengths and weaknesses. I feel like Hawaii has a LB Corps that can get after the QB but a CB that'll give up a big play or two.

Offensively I like both OLs, both TEs, I think NO has a slight edge at WR but I like what Hawaii brings to the table as well.

I could see this being a defensive game except there is one major difference for me. It would be my prediction this game comes down to the 2:00 point and if it does then its on the QB to make something happen and there is a guy I trust and a guy i dont in this game.

For me, Hawaii pulls out the upset with Russell Wilson here. Josh Allen just isnt that good.

Another factor here is, I think NO's Defense is on the field more because I believe the Hawaii Defense makes Allen force the ball and make poor decisions resulting in multiple turn overs.

Edited by wwhickok

In three wide, Hawaii is trying to cover dj Moore with myles jack 50 percent of the time.  Don't get me wrong Jack is super athletic lb but he's not gonna be able to make that work consistently.  Luckily new Orleans wants to to go jumbo at points for some  reason so damage is minimal but a couple of big plays there makes it the difference in a defensive struggle   New Orleans 16-10

I like what Hawaii has done for the most part. I think the Jazz execute their gameplan better in this one though. Josh Allen with these weapons I have to think would be a much better player than in Buffalo also. I would love to watch this Hawaii offensive line vs New Orleans defensive line matchup irl. Victories on both sides for sure. Hawaii should be heating up now thought with Barkley back. I look for a stretch of wins coming soon. 

Crossing patterns and slants will work well against NO middle of the field, especially with 5 DL. Even though who I don't understand who is thaat Lattimore mentionned in Hawaii plan, I think they can score in the 20s here. However, not a fan of Jack covering DJ Moore, and I think NO can run well against Hawaii front tbh.

The Jizz in a tighter one than expected

I like that the Nightmarchers identified 105% of what their coverage scheme will be in this one, really going above and beyond. 

I love how both teams plans are to play keep away from each other in this one, should set us up for some real fireworks!! 
giphy.gif

Hawaii has the right idea trying to beef up to stop Elliott and Co, but the rigidity of leaving Jack on the field to cover a playmaker like DJ Moore is a colossal mistake to me as others have pointed out. And in a game where both teams are just trying to grind clock, the team who can break a big play or two in the air has the advantage, and newly acquired DJ Moore is going to have a big day.