BDL 2017 Week 1: Compton Black Panthers @ Camden Hood Rats

Whicker

Compton Black Panthers @ Camden Hood Rats  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Compton Black Panthers
    • Camden Hood Rats

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2017 at 04:00 AM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions

Compton Black Panthers

QB: Sam Bradford

RB: Marshawn Lynch

WR: Antonio Brown

WR: Pierre Garcon

WR: Stefon Diggs

TE: Martellus Bennett

LT: Andrew Whitworth

LG: Brandon Scherff

C: Isaac Seumalo

RG: Marshal Yanda

RT: Cam Robinson

RB: Tarik Cohen

RB: CJ Prosise

WR: Josh Doctson

TE: Coby Fleener

LT: Shon Coleman

OG: Larry Warford

WR: Tajae Sharpe

DE: DeForest Buckner

DE: Sheldon Rankins

OLB: Jadeveon Clowney

OLB: Frank Clark

ILB: KJ Wright

ILB: Will Compton

DC: Jason Verrett

DC: Marshon Lattimore

NC: Casey Hayward

FS: Devin McCourty

SS: Karl Joseph

EDGE: Pernell McPhee

EDGE: Chris Long

NT: Jordan Phillips

DC: Terrence Newman

INT: Arik Armstead

S: DJ Swearinger

LB: Duke Riley

Camden Hood Rats

QB- Drew Brees

RB- Devonta Freeman

WR-Odell Beckham Jr

WR- Mike Evans

WR- Cole Beasley

TE-Evan Engram

LT- Tyron Smith

LG- Ronald Leary

C- Wesley Johnson

RG- Trey Hopkins

RT- La'El Collins

Bench

WR- Paul Richardson

WR- Braxton Miller

TE- David Njoku

TE- Virgril Green

RB- Eddie Lacy

RB- Duke Johnson, Jr

OL- Xavier Su'a-Filo

OL- Cedric Ogbuehi

DE- Chandler Jones

DT- Sheldon Richardson

DT- Akiem Hicks

DE- Michael Bennett

LB-Anthony Barr

LB- Jake Ryan

CB- Aqib Talib

CB- Kevin Johnson

CB- Vernon Hargreaves

FS- Kevin Byard

SS- Jamal Adams

Bench

DE- Yannick Ngakoue

DE/DT- Solomon Thomas

DE- Preston Smith

DT- Grady Jarrett

CB- Marcus Cooper

CB- Kayvon Webster

CB- Chidobe Awuzie

S- George Iloka

Compton Black Panthers

Shotgun-heavy tempo, but balanced offense. Offense will heavily utilize their RB rotation on IZ, OZ with some power and counter mixed in. Bradford will also have easy RPOs off of the run plays. Diggs will be in the slot with Brown and Garcon on the outside, and with Bradford's arm talent, they will attack every level of the defense. Cohen will be the primary change of pace back and will have a few packages with Procise, where one of them splits out wide to get a 1 on 1 vs a LB.

Defense will be relatively simple today against Brees and will play everything straight up. DCs will be aggressive with press in both man and zone with McCourty patrolling the deep part of the field. The DCs will play the sides, and the defense will only blitz occasionally with some double A gap looks to bring pressure up the middle. Will Compton is starting at ILB, but Duke Riley will get plenty of snaps ad a coverage LB in his place, especially when Duke Johnson is in the game.

Camden Hood Rats

OFFENSE

We kick off the season against Compton, a team whose owner surely hates us so emotions will be flying. Compton brings some strong pieces on defense, so we're going to highlight just a couple of areas we think we can win and how we'll take advantage of those.

Compton's secondary vs Mike Evans- Compton has some very good pieces in the secondary, but none are particularly tall enough or bulky enough to deal with Evans all game long. Like last season, Evans will be an early target in our passing game no matter who they put on him. We're going to force them to put multiple players on him to open up the offense for our other pieces. Heavy targets for Evans today.

Compton's LB's/S's vs our 'big slot' set up- Throughout the game, we'll be flexing Evan Engram and David Njoku out into the slot. Both guys are big and fast, creating a speed mismatch against LB's and a size mismatch against CB's and safeties. So this will force Compton to again attempt to use multiple people to contain these guys or suffer the consequences of risking giving up a big play down the seam. 

If we can use these key matchups in particular, it should really open up the field for our running game and other options. If Beckham plays, he should see a healthy amount of single coverage with Mike Evans getting a lot of attention early in the game. Devonta Freeman will be our bell cow, but we'll make sure to rotate in Lacy and Duke Johnson to keep everyone fresh, and to mix up our looks as much as possible. If our highlighted matchups work for us, the middle of the defense should be really softened up for the run game. Compton can bring some heat, and all 3 backs will be charged with helping in blitz pick up and pass pro if they aren't involved in the pass play.

DEFENSE

Compton has some new pieces to work with this year, so we'll summarize each of their strengths and how we plan to try to negate them.

Compton's run game- With Marshawn Lynch in the fold and two very good guards Compton can try to run the ball inside early and often with Lynch. It's a smart plan, but one we think we have the right personnel for. Michael Bennett gets the start today over Yannick Ngakoue because he's a bigger body who combined with the other 3 members our of base D line gives us a very good run stopping unit. It should be a battle all day with this group. Safeties like Jamal Adams and Kevin Byard are known to be strong run players as well, so that should help contain any monster runs from Lynch. 

Compton's WR's- Compton only has 4 healthy WR's, but they're a good group and should present some challenges. We aren't going to play any games today. Aqib Talib is going to cover Antonio Brown as often as he possibly can today. Brown is faster, but with our pass rush being as good as it is, we don't think Sammy Sleeves will have much time to let routes develop consistently, so Talib's physical style at the LOS should be a big factor in limiting Brown here. Beat Brown up, make him fight for everything. Most likely Johnson will get Garcon and Hargreaves will get Diggs for the majority of the other matchups. Our safeties will play a lot of halves, to try to combat any daggers if one of Compton's WR's slip past a CB. 

Compton's TE's- Bennett and Fleener are both big athletic targets, so we'll work on a rotation of a nickel LB (Barr or Iloka) or a big CB like Marcus Cooper to work into the game. I don't think Compton is going to feature their TE's all that much with their other weapons, but if they do we'll rotate big bodies on them to limit what they do. If needed we'll task Jamal Adams with covering them, he excels against TE's.

Throughout the game, we plan to attack Sleeves with a variety of pass rushers. Michael Bennett and Yannick Ngakoue are going to rotate attacking a sub par RT, whoever they decide to play. And often in obvious passing situations, we'll kick Bennett and/or Solomon Thomas inside to give us extra pass rush juice. So a typical line in a pass rush situation could easily be Chandler Jones, Sheldon Richardson, Bennett/Thomas and Yannick Ngakoue all lined up next to each other. We think we can get home a few times and put some big hits on Bradford to really affect the game plan of Compton.

Camden putrid interior OL means trouble for Brees and Freeman. Also relying too much on unproven rookies is risky at best and with ODB out too much is asked of those young tight ends. On the other hand, Compton has finally found a running game and they get a dream matchup with Diggs vs Hargreaves. Camden DL makes it a game but Compton runs away in the 2nd half with a huge road W, 25-13

I have no idea who the hell Compton's C is. But with the simplistic gameplan and the fact they won't be able to pass protect well or open holes against a pretty good front seven. Though Brees will be facing a ton of interior pressure and he'll struggle to move the ball for the most part without ODB. I'll give the nod to Camden at home 13-17 camden in an ugly game in which both QBs struggle to get anything going. 

Notes to Rolf, Fix the sizing/bolding of your lineup for future matchups and you can use 8 players on the bench.

5 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I have no idea who the hell Compton's C is. But with the simplistic gameplan and the fact they won't be able to pass protect well or open holes against a pretty good front seven. Though Brees will be facing a ton of interior pressure and he'll struggle to move the ball for the most part without ODB. I'll give the nod to Camden at home 13-17 camden in an ugly game in which both QBs struggle to get anything going. 

Notes to Rolf, Fix the sizing/bolding of your lineup for future matchups and you can use 8 players on the bench.

He's the Eagles starting LG, and he got abused Sunday.

6 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Camden putrid interior OL means trouble for Brees and Freeman. Also relying too much on unproven rookies is risky at best and with ODB out too much is asked of those young tight ends. On the other hand, Compton has finally found a running game and they get a dream matchup with Diggs vs Hargreaves. Camden DL makes it a game but Compton runs away in the 2nd half with a huge road W, 25-13

Did you see how my game plan sort of accounts for that, though? I purposely made Mike Evans the focal point of the passing attack today.

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

Love Mike Evans but he can't do everything by himself. See AJ Green vs Ravens.

Alright. He's not all by himself though. He's got a top 5 RB garnering attention, and one of the better slot WR's in the league right now as a safety valve. 

Camden is really gonna have some issues on their interior as Johnson is average at best and Hopkins was having perhaps the worst game of any guard I've seen this year before he got hurt.  On the other side, Robinson didn't look like a complete fool at RT but Compton needs to find a legit center(yes I know isaac played there before)

I really like Compton running the ball herre though as it should be effective here.  Jake Ryan, to my recollection maybe only played a handful of snaps while Barr is just OK against the run.  The Compton offense also looked really solid overall this week.

On the flip side, as good as the Compton offensive skill positions looked, the defense looked equally as awful.  The dlineman created almost zero pressure while the secondary got lit up

For Camden, they are almost the polar opposite of Compton, their offense really sputtered.   Brees looked solid and Freeman did OK, but none of the weapons really stood out and the usually dependable tackle tandem was not as awesome as it normally is

However, defensively Camden got a huge game from Akiem Hicks, who almost single handedly kept Chicago alive and Talib also had an excellent night.  Both their safeties played well too.

In the end, I think Compton's plan to run here and keep it close pays off in the end.  The two tight ends Camden have do contain potential but there isn't much for them for us to believe in yet.  Compton holds on in a squeeker

17-14

I'm going to vote Compton here too, but as others have said it's close. If Beckham had played, this obviously would have been way different, but I think Brees struggles just enough in this one. Compton's receivers find their space against the Camden secondary and do just enough to win. 

Compton should be able to limit Brees without ODB to keep them from doubling evans every play. Camden's line is gonna give up a ton of pressure on the inside. Sam Bradford had the game of his life and Lynch was servicable, I think they pull it off here.

Compton takes this as Camden loses a big weapon right before game time. This leaves Evans in hot water as he takes on a solid secondary. Got to work on the simplistic defensive writing though Compton. 

4 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Camden is really gonna have some issues on their interior as Johnson is average at best and Hopkins was having perhaps the worst game of any guard I've seen this year before he got hurt.  On the other side, Robinson didn't look like a complete fool at RT but Compton needs to find a legit center(yes I know isaac played there before)

I really like Compton running the ball herre though as it should be effective here.  Jake Ryan, to my recollection maybe only played a handful of snaps while Barr is just OK against the run.  The Compton offense also looked really solid overall this week.

On the flip side, as good as the Compton offensive skill positions looked, the defense looked equally as awful.  The dlineman created almost zero pressure while the secondary got lit up

For Camden, they are almost the polar opposite of Compton, their offense really sputtered.   Brees looked solid and Freeman did OK, but none of the weapons really stood out and the usually dependable tackle tandem was not as awesome as it normally is

However, defensively Camden got a huge game from Akiem Hicks, who almost single handedly kept Chicago alive and Talib also had an excellent night.  Both their safeties played well too.

In the end, I think Compton's plan to run here and keep it close pays off in the end.  The two tight ends Camden have do contain potential but there isn't much for them for us to believe in yet.  Compton holds on in a squeeker

17-14

Really? I didn't watch the whole game but I've read otherwise.

Since then, Hopkins has been impressing the staff at seemingly every stop, so much that he won the starting right guard job with relative ease coming into the regular season. He looked good early on against the Baltimore Ravens, helping spring open a 12-yard run by Jeremy Hill.

edit: On the defensive line front, Hicks isn't my only player who had a good game. Jones and Bennett both had sacks, Yannick Ngakoue had two sacks, a forced fumble a fumble recovery

I feel like people see what Bradford did last night against an atrocious defense and just assign him the W.

Archived