BDL 2017 Week 1: Oklahoma City Rogues @ Berlin Blitzkrieg

DingoLadd

BDL 2017 Week 1: Compton Black Panthers @ Camden Hood Rats  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Oklahoma City Rogues
    • Berlin Blitzkrieg

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2017 at 04:00 AM

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions

Oklahoma City Rogues

QB: Cam Newton

RB: Jonathan Stewart

WR: Jeremy Maclin

WR: Mike Wallace

TE: Jordan Reed

TE: Jared Cook

LT: David Bakhtiari

LG: Richie Incognito

C: Weston Richburg

RG: TJ Lang

RT: Jack Conklin

RB: Joe Mixon

RB: Latavius Murray

RB: Terrance West

WR: Adam Thielen

WR: Allen Hurns

WR: Taywan Taylor

TE: Clive Walford

T: Morgan Moses

ROLB: Ryan Kerrigan

DT: Cameron Heyward

DT: Eddie Goldman

LOLB: Von Miller

ILB: Eric Kendricks

ILB: Darron Lee

CB: Patrick Peterson

CB: Eli Apple

CB: Brent Grimes

FS: Malik Hooker

SS: Adrian Amos

NT: Star Lotulelei

DL: Carl Davis

OLB: Connor Barwin

ILB: Brian Cushing

CB: Morris Claiborne

CB: Shaq Griffin

FS: Maurice Alexander

SS: Andre Hal

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Offense
QB - Jameis Winston
RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Tyreek Hill
WR - DeSean Jackson
TE - Kyle Rudolph
TE - Hunter Henry
LT - Trent Williams
LG - Justin Pugh
C - Corey Linsley
RG - Gabe Jackson
RT - Ja’wuan James

OL - Mike Pouncey
OL - Taylor Moton
RB - Mike Gillislee
RB - D’Onta Foreman
WR - Taylor Gabriel
WR - Jordan Matthews
WR - Kenny Golladay
FB - Jalston Fowler

Base Defense
RE - Nick Perry
DT - Mike Daniels
NT - Brandon Williams
LE - Justin Houston
SLB - Eli Harold
MLB - Alec Ogletree
WLB - Kiko Alonso
CB - Ronald Darby
CB - AJ Bouye
S - Eric Berry
S - Haha Clinton-Dix

Edge - Demarcus Lawrence
Edge - Deatrich Wise
DI - Davon Godchaux
DI - Rakeem Nunez-Roches
LB - Vince Williams
CB - Eric Rowe
CB - Quinten Rollins
S - Tashaun Gipson

Oklahoma City Rogues Writeup:

We open the season with a nice little road trip to Berlin. The Blitzkrieg were a non-playoff team last year, and they still retain many of their weaknesses from last season. They have a very limited offense with just one real threat, and outside of their safeties, their defense does not stand out as overly impressive. We believe that we are simply the better team in this matchup and we will be able to win with a straight-forward gameplan that tries to limit Tyreek Hill's impact on the game.

Offense:

Berlin has two excellent safeties and our offensive game plan will mainly revolve around trying to attack around them. We expect Eric Berry to line up man to man against Jordan Reed in this game. If he does, then Berlin will only have Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as a single high safety. We will then utilize Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin, and Jared Cook in the deep passing game to abuse the space vacated by Berry. If Berry instead lines up as a deep safety, then we will attack the middle with Jordan Reed and Adam Thielen out of the slot.

Jonathan Stewart gets the start in this game and will get some early down and goalline work, but Joe Mixon will rotate in frequently and will likely get more touches. Mixon showed his feature-back talent during the preseason, and he should especially excel behind our strong offensive line. Both backs will be expected to run routes and pass block as needed. As usual for us, we will have a couple of designed running plays for Cam Newton.

Our offensive line was one of the best in the league last year, and we made absolutely no changes heading into this one. Outside of Berlin's one elite threat in Justin Houston, their defensive line shouldn't get the better of us. On some plays, we will provide help on Houston with a running back or a tight end chip. On others, we will roll Newton away from Houston and let Newton's mobility protect him. We also have high confidence in our tackles, as David Bakhtiari has quietly turned into a top 5 left tackle and Jack Conklin is coming off a sensational rookie season. We simply do not believe that Justin Houston or the Berlin pass rush will have a chance to beat us in this game.

Defense:

Last year, we boasted a very strong defense that helped carry a struggling Cam Newton to the BDL playoffs. The biggest criticism against last year's defense was our poor secondary. However, we come into this year with major improvements in that area. Eli Apple has ascended to the number one corner on a team that has Janoris Jenkins and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Brent Grimes and Morris Claiborne both had very good years last year, and Malik Hooker has the look of a super star at free safety. With these major improvements in our secondary, we believe we come into this season with the best defense in BDL.

Tyreek Hill is the one name that stands out among Berlin's offense, and he will be our number one focus. He will be double-teamed on nearly every play by Eli Apple and Adrian Amos. Hill had a very big game on Thursday, but the Patriots' defensive gameplan was more focused on Travis Kelce. Berlin does not have a similar threat to draw coverage, and therefore we do not think Hill will have anywhere close to the same impact here. Patrick Peterson will line up against DeSean Jackson, and we believe that this will take Jackson mostly out of the game. Brent Grimes will cover Berlin's third receiver, and Eric Kendricks will be responsible for Kyle Rudolph. Malik Hooker will be a center-fielding Cover-1 safety.

Berlin comes into this game with a strong offensive line, but they are unfortunate as they must face a better defensive line. Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan make up the very best edge duo in this league, and Cameron Heyward is one of the better interior defenders at rushing the passer. Our pass rush will get to Jameis Winston in this game. Berlin's weakest link along their line is their RT, and they will absolutely have to provide Ju'Wuan James with help against Miller, making our secondary's job much easier.

Berlin also only packs one threat in the running game with Lamar Miller. Despite Mike Gillisee's big fantasy night, he still remains an ineffective runner, and we do not fear him at all. We have a strong interior line with a very good run defender in Eddie Goldman. Despite Berlin's strong offensive line, we will win our fair share of battles in the trenches. Darron Lee didn't have the best rookie season in coverage, but he showed prowess defending the run. Simply put, Berlin's running game will not be strong enough to win this game.

Berlin BlitzKrieg Writeup:

Offense 
Our main plan this week is to attack the off-ball linebackers and safeties with our two TE set.  We think that we can exploit them in both the pass and run game.  OKC has some very good players in Heyward, Kerrigan, and Miller up front; however, we think our offensive line can more than handle them.  We will be helping Ja’wuan against Miller most plays; either with a TE double team in the run game, or by being chipped by a TE before the TE goes out on his route.   Jameis has free reign to throw to anyone his heart desires.  We expect them to have to put 8 in the box.

Run Game
We plan on running plenty this game, look for us to use stretches, traps, and counters to make their linebackers have to make reads or get to the perimeter.  While Kendricks is a good player, whoever else OKC uses at linebacker can be exploited either due to physical limitations or just not being very good.  In the run game, we will trust Trent to handle Kerrigan or Miller, but Ja’wuan will get help from a TE to set the edge against the other.  We think our interior OL will be just fine one-on-one, even against Heyward.  That said, we will use some double teams inside with Linsley who will then scrape off to a backer, just to open things up that much more.

Pass Game
We are going to use our TEs frequently in the pass game as well.  Rudolph and Henry have the speed to get open against OKC’s LBs and the size to dominate their safeties.  We will use them in every conceivable route from short routes to move the chains to shots down the seams.  We don’t think they can afford to double team either of our TEs and Jameis will go at them any time they’re one-on-one.

PP is one hell of a cornerback, but we still think that DeSean or Tyreek will be able to use their speed and quickness to get open on him.  So we will not shy away, especially if he follows Tyreek as we will have Tyreek using crossing routes to get open as well.  We will take more than a couple shots to DeSean.  We don’t respect Malik Hooker yet as he spent most of the preseason sitting, so if he gets caught in solo coverage, we will attack him.

Golladay will come in for DeSean sometimes when we are in the red zone to use his size to catch TDs.

3-4 WR Sets
We will use some 3 and 4 WR sets to spread out their defense and get some more speed on the field.  Gabriel will be in the slot in 3 WR sets to add even more explosion to our offense.  We want to stress their secondary and let Jameis push the ball down the field.

TL;DR - Give Ja’wuan some help but let our OL win otherwise - attack their LBs and Safeties in the run and pass game with our TEs - Use our WRs elite speed to take shots down the field and on crossing routes

Defense
We will use our normal man coverage this game.  Bouye gets Hurns and Darby gets Maclin.  Berry takes Jordan Reed one-on-one and we think he can shut Reed down especially as Reed is playing with a fractured toe.  Ogletree and Harold will share covering the RB and spying Cam with Harold occasionally coming on a delayed blitz to force Cam to hurry his throw.  Kiko will cover Cook.  Haha will play the deep middle and move around so Cam never knows quite where he will be, but he will help Darby or Rowe most often.

If they go with a 3 WR set, Harold will come out.  Kiko and Ogletree will watch the RB and spy Cam.  Bouye slides into the slot, where he has played very well in the past.  Rowe will come in and play against Hurns.  

OKC has a really good offensive line.  However, we think that our front four can hold the point of attack and shut down their run game.  They have no RBs that truly scare us as they have either middling or unproven talents.  With a linebacker spying Cam at all times, we want to keep him in the pocket and force him to beat us with his arm.  His arm that has been very limited since his shoulder surgery.  

TL;DR - Man coverage to force their WRs to beat us - let our front four fight their OL - shut down the run game - keep Cam in the pocket and make him beat us there

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Man OKC really overlooking some of our improvements.

Lol are you saying that just because of my opening paragraph?

Here are the changes from your starting lineup last year to this year's:

Desean Jackson from Will Fuller - This isn't a huge upgrade to start with but even so I covered this by putting Patrick Peterson, one of the best corners in the NFL, on him. If the voters decide that isn't enough, then lol but okay.

Major offensive line improvements - I routinely gave you credit for your O-line improvement, but I'm sorry to say that I still think my defensive line is better.

Brandon Williams and Nick Perry from Dominique Easley and Demarcus Lawrence - both are these are upgrades for sure, but similar to your O-line improvements, they are running against one of the strengths of my team. Perry is fine but he's going up against a top 5 left tackle in Bakhtiari. Williams kept me from going more run heavy so I don't think that counts as overlooking.

AJ Bouye from Eric Rowe/other corners - Bouye had a very good year last year but he was covering #2 and #3 WRs routinely. This year he will continue that trend by playing on the same team as Jalen Ramsey. He's a good player, but let's not act like you have a Richard Sherman or Josh Norman here. With Eric Berry covering Reed man to man, I expect to win in the passing game by abusing the deep space that is being covered by a single safety, not by attacking any specific corner. You even said in your writeup that Clinton-Dix would be shaded towards Darby and Rowe, so all it would take would be one time for Wallace to get behind Bouye for a big play.

Compared to how Fuller played last year, I think DeSean is a big upgrade for this year.

Healthy C and Gabe Jackson at RG is much better than last year.  

Yup, we agree on the upgrades here.  And Kerrigan is going against a top 3 LT in Trent Williams.  

Bouye covered #1s all of last year?  And I believe he and Ramsey played sides.  And I don't think your WRs are good enough to beat my corners with Haha.  Even if Wallace got deep, he'd probably just drop it.  

I do think our battle in the trenches will be awesome.  But I think we are a bit better. 

I'm not going to say I'm 100%, because I don't watch game tape or anything, but AJ Bouye did not cover #1's for all of last year. He only started 11 games as a boundary corner and was listed as the right cornerback for most of those starts. Jonathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson both played ahead of him at certain points in the year. This year, even if he and Ramsey do play sides, Bouye plays on the right side which means he is more likely to end up lining against a #2.

One place we (Berlin) really get the better of you (OKC) is Nick Perry vs David Bakhtiari. You are underrating Perry's ability, and when Cam Newton rolls away from Houston, he's going to be rolling right into the arms of Perry. Bakhtiari's weakness is strength, and Perry's strength is strength. It's a bad match-up for Bakhtiari.

There will also be a lot of opportunity for the long-ball IMO. Hooker is rangey, but he's a young guy that guesses a lot, and he'll guess wrong quite a bit in his first game.

Both teams have pretty major weaknesses against Elite Pass rushers (Von Miller vs. Ja'Wuan James, Bahktiari vs. Justin Houston) I think Cam not being 100% affects him enough to the point where OKC is in a hole going into halftime. Neither team is going to be able to run the ball very well and I'd imagine Cam will take a lot of hits in this game. Eric Berry should be able to take care of Reed for the most part but Cam's WRs will have an easy time getting open against a pretty bad group of CBs. OKC wins on a late 4th Q TD pass, 24-21.

Adrian Amos didn't play a single defensive snap for Chicago on Sunday. Looks like Andre Hal will have to do the heavy lifting for you guys.

I'm not sure the OKC offense can keep up in this one. I love their defense, but I think they're going to really struggle moving the ball.

Newton doesn't look 100% and Reed is playing with a messed up toe, so when you're rolling with an injured QB and his best weapon is hurt, it's not a good situation. Berlin's team honestly looks a lot better than I expected it would considering last year and Rags definitely deserves credit. I still think a WR that can work the middle of the field would be a worthwhile addition, but with a strong OL, a presumably improving Winston bolstered by a decent support cast and a decent D should be enough to hold Cam and OKC off. 21-17 Berlin. 

Oklahoma City 3 - 38 Berlin

66F, Light Wind

Scoring Summary;

1st Quarter

BER 8:35 FG FG 35 yds. 0-3

OKC 3:22 FG FG 27 yds. 3-3

2nd Quarter

BER 3:31 TD Mike Gillislee 2 yd. run (XP kick) 3-10

3rd Quarter

BER 8:34 TD Tyreek Hill 3 yd. pass from Winston (XP kick) 3-17

BER 6:12 TD 39 yd interception return (XP kick) 3-24

BER 1:27 TD Mike Gillislee 26 yd. run (XP kick) 3-31