Donte Whitner Rips Redskins Coaching Staff

MKnight82

In Summary if you can't watch:

- Jay Gruden is two faced and didn't care about the players.

- The Redskins coaching staff doesn't know how to teach young players how to play football.  

- Greg Manusky doesn't know how to scheme a defense.

- Greg Manusky's playcalls are so easy to recognize that it tips what the defense is doing presnap. 

- He had praise for McLaurin and Dunbar.  

• Like 2

Unrelated (largely) to the accuracy of his comments, Whitner came off like a complete ***** in that interview. 

He played here for basically two months. They signed him off the scrap heap, a former draft bust looking for a last contract, and he played like 10 games as a fill-in. He knew the team so well that he didn’t even know what position Manusky coached. But sure, he knows the *real* Jay Gruden, as a person, better than guys like Thompson or Moses, who played their whole career with him and love the guy. 

He goes in on Perry Fewell, says he knows more about secondary play. Says the guy who continues to be hired by coach after coach around the league is only getting jobs because “people hire their friends.” This of course is a guy who literally coordinated a defense that confused and confounded Tom Brady — Whitner’s own measure for DC quality — in the Super F. Bowl. 

It’s sour grapes and bad takes throughout. Josh Norman unfairly blamed him for a TD they gave up to Ted Ginn? Here’s the video. You’ll probably notice Jon Gruden on commentary saying “you see Donte Whitner just lost in the middle of the field — I have no idea what he’s seeing there.” There was no one within about 25 yards of Whitner when he chose to just sit down and let Ginn fly right by him. Terry McLaurin is good because THE Ohio State University prepares you so well that the NFL is easy? Guess that’s why Michael Thomas was the only OSU receiver in the last decade with more than 15 catches as a rookie before Scary Terry came along. And then he goes after Tony Romo as an announcer? Come on man. 

He’s right about certain things, obviously. Gruden isn’t much of a leader and should just be a coordinator. Manusky can’t disguise defenses and opposing QBs know exactly what’s coming. They don’t hold certain “high profile” guys accountable enough. All true. But we already knew all that. The only thing I really learned from the interview is that Donte Whitner is whiny and spends a lot of time in his hurt feelings. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, e16bball said:

Unrelated (largely) to the accuracy of his comments, Whitner came off like a complete ***** in that interview. 

He played here for basically two months. They signed him off the scrap heap, a former draft bust looking for a last contract, and he played like 10 games as a fill-in. He knew the team so well that he didn’t even know what position Manusky coached. But sure, he knows the *real* Jay Gruden, as a person, better than guys like Thompson or Moses, who played their whole career with him and love the guy. 

He goes in on Perry Fewell, says he knows more about secondary play. Says the guy who continues to be hired by coach after coach around the league is only getting jobs because “people hire their friends.” This of course is a guy who literally coordinated a defense that confused and confounded Tom Brady — Whitner’s own measure for DC quality — in the Super F. Bowl. 

It’s sour grapes and bad takes throughout. Josh Norman unfairly blamed him for a TD they gave up to Ted Ginn? Here’s the video. You’ll probably notice Jon Gruden on commentary saying “you see Donte Whitner just lost in the middle of the field — I have no idea what he’s seeing there.” There was no one within about 25 yards of Whitner when he chose to just sit down and let Ginn fly right by him. Terry McLaurin is good because THE Ohio State University prepares you so well that the NFL is easy? Guess that’s why Michael Thomas was the only OSU receiver in the last decade with more than 15 catches as a rookie before Scary Terry came along. And then he goes after Tony Romo as an announcer? Come on man. 

He’s right about certain things, obviously. Gruden isn’t much of a leader and should just be a coordinator. Manusky can’t disguise defenses and opposing QBs know exactly what’s coming. They don’t hold certain “high profile” guys accountable enough. All true. But we already knew all that. The only thing I really learned from the interview is that Donte Whitner is whiny and spends a lot of time in his hurt feelings. 

Essentially I agree with most of this.  Whitner comes off as extreme sour grapes for the time he spent here.  However, he's played for Perry Fewell before, and I can definitely see him having more insight into him than most.  However, he's almost a nobody as far as coaches go at this point, and he may not see a DC job ever again

• Like 1

I really want Jay to write a book about the issues at Redskins park and Bruce Allen. That would do SOOOOOOOOOO well in this area as well as among the NFL. The issue would be if Jay signed an NDA in which he can't publicly do those kinds of things. 

But the things in which Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan do out in San Fran certainly show there is a lot of disfunction and corruption at the top of this organization. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:09 PM, taylor made said:

I mean he was no LaRon Landry, but this seems a little extreme for a guy who played in the NFL for 10 years

Probably a little harsh. But if we took a safety #8 overall, and all he ever became was a really poor man’s Landon Collins, we’d at least be really disappointed. Especially if his best seasons didn’t come until after he’d left us for a mid-level FA deal, with a team that surrounded him with a large enough quantity of world class talent to cover up his deficiencies. 

Interestingly, when I was trying to find out what kind of contract he got from the Niners to leave the Bills, I stumbled upon this blog post, written by a Buffalo blogger for Niners fans trying to learn more about their new signing, which describes Whitner as follows:

”In my experience, this is one of the thinnest-skinned athletes I've ever encountered. He's a "read your own press clippings" type, and a bit of a drama queen. He got into arguments with Bills fans on Twitter a lot, and alienated some of his teammates by bolting Buffalo before locker clean-out day this past January. A very large number of Bills fans won't miss Whitner the person, and high percentage of them won't miss Whitner the player, either.”

That’s not really in response to you, just adding it as more justification for the addition of Donte Whitner to my “famous people I can’t stand” list 😂

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Essentially I agree with most of this.  Whitner comes off as extreme sour grapes for the time he spent here.  However, he's played for Perry Fewell before, and I can definitely see him having more insight into him than most.  However, he's almost a nobody as far as coaches go at this point, and he may not see a DC job ever again

Yeah, I’m no huge fan of Perry Fewell or anything. Just thought it was silly to suggest that he only got the job here (or elsewhere) because coaches hire their friends. He’s coached DBs for 6 different NFL head coaches, and he’s been defensive coordinator for 2 others. Unless he’s the “friendliest” guy in history, at least some of these head coaches are hiring because they believe he’s capable of the job, not just because he’s their good buddy. 

Whitner may certainly have some meaningful insight, but I think he probably just doesn’t like Fewell. Or feels betrayed because Fewell didn’t want him back in Buffalo (or Washington). Or whatever. Don’t think we draw many conclusions from that. Pretty sure that if you sneeze or your phone starts ringing during a casual conversation with Donte Whitner, Donte Whitner hates your guts forever with the fire of a thousand suns. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mike23md said:

I really want Jay to write a book about the issues at Redskins park and Bruce Allen. That would do SOOOOOOOOOO well in this area as well as among the NFL. The issue would be if Jay signed an NDA in which he can't publicly do those kinds of things. 

But the things in which Kyle Shanahan and Mike Shanahan do out in San Fran certainly show there is a lot of disfunction and corruption at the top of this organization. 

Agreed!

Alot of the same problems will continue as well because of "Fans" You have a guy telling it like it is, but y'all are blasting him! What sense does that make! Once again he said nothing that hasn't been said by most if not all players who leave here and give their honest view on things in the organization. So what he wasn't a Pro Bowl guy, he still played here and knows the type of environment here compared to other organizations. Some of y'all really need to take the emotion toward the player out and focus on #Facts wrong in the organization. 

Also had Sean tragedy never happen I think Landry would've had a better career here. He was cleary picked to go along side Sean at the SS position while Sean played FS. Sean was already leading the league in InTs while the combo also had teams/players knowing they would be hit hard by ethier guy if they caught the ball. 

Edited by Skins212689

Hey hey hey, easy on the Whitner bashing!!!! He's certainly not going to bite his tongue and has strong opinions. He completely ripped Ahkello Witherspoon last season but after he did that, Witherspoon's play really picked up and he started playing with more urgency. Whitner was not a bust, but to say a bit disappointing is fair. Though he had good enough seasons and made a few pro bowls where you really can't complain THAT much about his career either. We all want top level all pro type of players with top 10 picks, but it usually doesn't end up happening that way. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:45 PM, e16bball said:

He also failed to mention that while the Ohio State may have prepared Terry McLaurin that it failed to prepare Donte Whitner to be anything more than an average NFL safety.

Also, while he's ripping Gruden does it occur to him that Gruden is the one who recognized McLaurin’s potential greatness and Gruden thought so much of McLaurin that he cut the Redskins 2016 first-round draft pick at WR so that Scarry Terry could start!