How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Were we watching the same game? Mitch didn't come around. He missed multiple throws again like he's made a habit of doing and turned the ball over twice, one which directly led to the Chargers go ahead TD. He had a few nice throws I'll give him that but more bad than good still. I really want to support the guy but he's not helping himself.

I'm not saying, "Now, LOOK, he's a franchise QB!!!" :)

So, we're splitting hairs. 

The more I think about it, the more I could see Pace going for the best available free agent QB, and trying to get someone that can be a long term player for the Bears more than a bridge guy.

1. The defense is set up to win right now

2. They are coming off a disappointing season and need to bounce back

3. They are light on draft capital and do not want to force a QB pick or a massive trade up

4. A rookie is not likely to be a ton of help in 2020, do Pace and Nagy survive back to back bad seasons.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The more I think about it, the more I could see Pace going for the best available free agent QB, and trying to get someone that can be a long term player for the Bears more than a bridge guy.

1. The defense is set up to win right now

2. They are coming off a disappointing season and need to bounce back

3. They are light on draft capital and do not want to force a QB pick or a massive trade up

4. A rookie is not likely to be a ton of help in 2020, do Pace and Nagy survive back to back bad seasons.

Will George and Ted sign off on that idea knowing that if things don't improve in 2021 even with a big signing at QB, that both Pace & Nagy may be fired?   I don't think they'll want to have a new regime stuck with a bad QB contract.

The more I think about it the more I believe it will go something like this for next year:

QB1a: Mitch (~$9M)

QB1b: Mariota (~$9-10M)

QB3: Draft pick 

Nagy was hired to get the most out of the QB position.  Let him have a legit QB competition and his hand picked draft QB and see what he can do.  If things fail in 2020 with these guys then there is no further commitment dollar wise to the QB position going forward and a new regime can start with a clean slate.

Edited by topwop1

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Will George and Ted sign off on that idea knowing that if things don't improve in 2021 even with a big signing at QB, that both Pace & Nagy may be fired?   I don't think they'll want to have a new regime stuck with a bad QB contract.

The more I think about the more I believe it will go something like this for next year:

QB1a: Mitch (~$9M)

QB1b: Mariota (~$9-10M)

QB3: Draft pick 

Nagy was hired to get the most out of the QB position.  Let him have a legit QB competition and his hand picked draft QB and see what he can do.  

I think that exposes them too much.

1. Sucks

2. Sucks

3. Who knows

If Pace is as secure as people think then I do not think a long term QB deal is crazy.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think that exposes them too much.

1. Sucks

2. Sucks

3. Who knows

If Pace is as secure as people think then I do not think a long term QB deal is crazy.

Maybe but his options will e limited.  Aside from Teddy B who would that be?...only Foles comes to mind right now.

A lot can change between now and the off season but not a lot of inspiring realistic options.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Fast forward to about 1:20

Glazer is right in saying that Bears cannot bail on him now because they made their bed with him and they need to see it through for at least the rest of this year. But next year you give him some competition and if that still doesn't bring out the best in him in his 3rd year in Nagy's system then at least you know you've exhausted all options to try and turn this guy into a good starting NFL QB.  They cannot expect that it will happen though.  You need to have a great backup plan.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Fast forward to about 1:20

They cannot go into next season with Trubisky as the best, non-rookie, option at QB.

That could get everyone fired.

Do you think Pace wants more of his draft miss being showcased as they miss the playoffs in 2020?

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You have to assume that the Trubisky miss will put Pace into job preservation mode.

Absolutely but unless he can find a trading partner for Mitch in the off season then it's unrealistic to expect that he will completely shut the door on Mitch by signing or taking on a new QB contract in excess of $20M salary per year.

I'm telling you guys, unless Mitch completely craps the bed for the rest of the season then expect a Mariota, Smith or that type of QB signing to push him for the starting job in 2020, along with a draft pick.

Pace will be limited in resources to take on a big QB contract next year.