How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 hour ago, RJ_11 said:

In terms of vets, Dalton is my number one option right now, him plus a 2nd round pick is what I want added to the QB room next season. Dalton's a solid QB who can give you league average play if given the chance, he's still only 32 and will be cheaper than Foles. My quick two cents on some of the options:

- Foles I'm not even sure is going anywhere, he's likely starting again for the Jags after their bye, and he's making $22m next season anyway. If Foles does well the rest of the season, he could well just stay in Jax.

- Bridgewater is going nowhere

- Mariota is garbage, and Helfrich might be gone anyway so there goes that connection

- Winston has talent but he's broken, no coach is coaching those horrific turnovers out of him

- Minshew I'd like but the Jags aren't dumb enough to trade away a young talent like that (you'd think)

- Alex Smith intrigues me a lot but his injury also scares me alot. If he is 100% healthy I'd be all for signing Smith to be honest

- Philip Rivers would also interest me, but I think if he's not back for the Chargers next season then he might retire

- Cam Newton's injuries seem to have ruined him, and honestly I just can't stand the guy, I don't want him as the face of this franchise

Dalton's picture is next to below average at best QB definition.

-Bridgewater probably wants to stay in NO.

-Mariota is a long shot to turn his career around at this point and is crazy inconsistent.

-Winston has never been that good and he has played on some stacked offenses.  

-Minshew isn't going anywhere in 2020 unless he crashes and burns rest of season.

-Alex Smith is broken in body and mind.

-Philip Rivers .... maybe.  

- Cam Newton has not been accurate in air since his MVP season and also can't run anymore or doesn't want to.  He has been reason that team has struggled in recent years.

Best option is finding lucky gold in a young unproven player like a Minshew, I posited Kyle Laulletta as a possibility.   It would be a real long shot, but long shots can hit and he impressed me in preseason.  Maybe let him compete for a job.  

Best veteran option is Foles who knows the system and is good under pressure.  He is concerning in he has that had stretches in 2018 with loaded Philly team where he played like garbage.  

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think Foles is making 16million in 2020, however he's under contract for a couple years in JAX, so it's not just his contract it's the capital to obtain him. 

Would you be comfortable with Pace making another "all-in" move next year?  To get Foles and take advantage of a 1 year window? That's an actual question here,  I honestly don't know. What if we give up picks that could be used on a future QB, or to fix the OL, or the TE, or reinforce the defensive losses that are coming?

Yeah, but I don't think Jacksonville is in a position to ask for moon for Foles and they will want his money off books.

Who would be bidding against the Bears for his contract?   

Just now, dll2000 said:

Yeah, but I don't think Jacksonville is in a position to ask for moon for Foles and they will want his money off books.

Foles makes most sense because he is most likely to help win immediately.  I don't think they have patience for another rebuild.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There was a lot of talk about how he might start for them after the bye now that Minshew mania has slowed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foles+starting+bye+week&rlz=1C1GCEB_enCA851CA852&oq=foles+starting+bye+week&aqs=chrome..69i57.3054j0j7&{google:bookmarkBarPinned}sourceid=chrome&{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:omniboxStartMarginParameter}ie=UTF-8

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

I wasn't considering Foles as even being available. Dalton has one year left on his contract, can Cincinnati cut him?

Yes they can and it wouldn't cost them a dime.  They will probably get a comp pick at the very least by letting him go because I don;t see many Fa's wanting to go to Cincy next year.

13 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Meanswhile...

(also pretty sure they resigned, or is it cut??.., Bradley Sowell again)

Expected.  You cannot have a guy making $20M sitting on the bench if he's healthy enough to play.  

It will be interesting to see how the Jags finish off this season.  If they suck and miss the playoffs which seems like a real possibility right now then they could blow the entire thing up for next year.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

-Philip Rivers .... maybe.  

giphy.gif

If the Bears could get Rivers as a FA, or for next to nothing, that's a total no-brainer. Guy is still special. 

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

It will be interesting to see how the Jags finish off this season.  If they suck and miss the playoffs which seems like a real possibility right now then they could blow the entire thing up for next year.

It they blow it up, that still is unlikely to include Foles. 

They won't be blowing it up, though. Too much promise there. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

giphy.gif

If the Bears could get Rivers as a FA, or for next to nothing, that's a total no-brainer. Guy is still special. 

It they blow it up, that still is unlikely to include Foles. 

They won't be blowing it up, though. Too much promise there. 

Not a chance Rivers leaves. 0%. Quote me on that

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

If you ever doubt that world class athletes are wired differently, take a peek into what's known about river's personal life...  Isn't he commuting from SD to LA?

Yes, he is. He also reportedly threw a fit a few years ago when the rumors came up that SD may trade him to the Titans. He has like 47 kids and wants to spend as much time with them as possible. He isn't moving to Chicago for 6-8 months.

• Like 2