How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

How about Kyle Lauletta?  

A)  Is young.

B). Played really well this preseason for Giants showing great improvement from his rookie year.

C) Plays for Eagle who run the same basic playbook as Nagy.

It's a move that makes a lot of sense but I don't think Pace will see it as doing "enough" to save his job

My vote is

1) Lauletta

2) Foles

That's about it.  I don't like anything else out there that I can think of off top of my head.

Everyone else is on the decline or was never very good or probably will never be any good.

Luck is not realistic .  

Mariota is basically a slightly better Trubisky and will be really expensive.   I guess he would be 3), but I wouldn't be enthused.   

Kaepernick stunk before his protests got him booted.  He was good at one time, but when he left he was not good and he hasn't played in years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My vote is

1) Lauletta

2) Foles

If the goal is to maximize the D's championship window, the only option is Foles – even if it costs a couple of defensive pieces. I'd say that that side of the ball only has 1 year left anyways. 

Kyle Lauletta? Seriously? We're going to go with a guy who lasted 1 year with the team who drafted him despite being a 4th round pick and ended up on a PS elsewhere, all because he did good things against CFL and XFL players in August?

Guys I know the Trubisky regression is bad, but there won't be improvement with Kyle Lauletta. Even Mariota would be an upgrade over him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Kaepernick stunk before his protests got him booted.  He was good at one time, but when he left he was not good and he hasn't played in years.

Once the league ruled the quarterback could get hit on all the RPO stuff Harbaugh was doing in SF, Harbaugh quit and Kaepernick was out of the league. Kaepernick has very little use outside of a QB with a high number of carries per game, which will get him killed. 

If we're going the vet QB plus a 2nd round draft pick next season (which is what I'm hoping), then I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Andy Dalton. Cincy are pretty likely to either trade or cut him in the off-season. I'd have Dalton higher on my vets board than guys like Mariota, Winston, Smith. And he'd be way cheaper than Foles.

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Kyle Lauletta? Seriously? We're going to go with a guy who lasted 1 year with the team who drafted him despite being a 4th round pick and ended up on a PS elsewhere, all because he did good things against CFL and XFL players in August?

Guys I know the Trubisky regression is bad, but there won't be improvement with Kyle Lauletta. Even Mariota would be an upgrade over him.

I'm not saying pay him 25 mil a year.  

I'm looking for young cheap guys with potential outside of first round picks which we don't have.   A guy you give a shot and hope you strike gold until you have early round picks again. 

You get Foles, Bridgewater or whoever it's going to cost you elsewhere and into the future.  

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You think that Pace is going to bet his job on Kyle Lauletta?

See above.  I would do that or something like that.  I haven't studied every conceivable option or player.   I saw that kid play in preseason a few times and liked him.  He has potential, but is likely to fail as are most of the options save Foles who probably has a 50%  chance of succeeding due to track record and familiarity.  

What Pace will do in this situation I have no idea. He probably doesn't either right now.  I bet he has a secret wall of possibilities and scenarios and spends hours each day debating them with whoever he trusts.  It's a bad situation to be in.  

Edited by dll2000