How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My best guess would be Foles who is probably best immediate success option, but who will probably get hurt or disappoint and cost the team valuable assets.

It is what it is.

Jax may be just as happy to get his contract off the books. The price for these QBs isn't gonna be as high as people think since there's so many kinda sorta maybe good QBs. 

Now if we can get Foles and Fournette....

What do you guys think of Jameis Winston or Cam Newton as stop gap solutions for next year?

I'm not as high on Newton because of his injuries and I'm not sure his heart is in the game any more.  The guy has taken a beating throughout his career so I can see him pulling an Andrew Luck if Panthers decide to move on from him. 

As for Winston ..I've never been a huge fan of his just because I think he is a moron and he turns the ball over too much for my liking but he definitely has the arm talent and can move the offense...similar to Jay Cutler when we had him here.  When you think about it he has never really had a good run game or defense throughout his Tampa career.  I think a change of scenery could actually benefit him.

Other than that the veteran options don't look too appealing and Alex Smith looks doubtful to play next season so that option is most likely out.

We need a guy who can start at a competitive level for 1 year while we allow a rookie to develop and shed Mitch's contract.

Andy Dalton will not light anyone on fire, but he can start at a league average level, makes 17 million guaranteed, and does not have the health issues of some other options.

• Like 1

The more I think about Dalton, even though he doesn't set the world on fire, he might be a good option.  He took Cincy to several playoffs, and even though he wet the bed there, his defense and coach didn't do him any favors.  Maybe take Dalton, and draft a guy like Fromm  from Georgia to sit a year and learn or better yet let all three compete for the job

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We need a guy who can start at a competitive level for 1 year while we allow a rookie to develop and shed Mitch's contract.

Andy Dalton will not light anyone on fire, but he can start at a league average level, makes 17 million guaranteed, and does not have the health issues of some other options.

I could see Andy Dalton being a guy Nagy would like as a stopgap but I would be reluctant to give up assets for him and pay him under his current contract terms.  As a FA if he is released sure because I think you can get him for cheaper than that on a 1-year deal and it looks like Cincy has decided to go in another direction so you have to figure he will be released since there is no dead cap for doing so.

In terms of vets, Dalton is my number one option right now, him plus a 2nd round pick is what I want added to the QB room next season. Dalton's a solid QB who can give you league average play if given the chance, he's still only 32 and will be cheaper than Foles. My quick two cents on some of the options:

- Foles I'm not even sure is going anywhere, he's likely starting again for the Jags after their bye, and he's making $22m next season anyway. If Foles does well the rest of the season, he could well just stay in Jax.

- Bridgewater is going nowhere

- Mariota is garbage, and Helfrich might be gone anyway so there goes that connection

- Winston has talent but he's broken, no coach is coaching those horrific turnovers out of him

- Minshew I'd like but the Jags aren't dumb enough to trade away a young talent like that (you'd think)

- Alex Smith intrigues me a lot but his injury also scares me alot. If he is 100% healthy I'd be all for signing Smith to be honest

- Philip Rivers would also interest me, but I think if he's not back for the Chargers next season then he might retire

- Cam Newton's injuries seem to have ruined him, and honestly I just can't stand the guy, I don't want him as the face of this franchise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I could see Andy Dalton being a guy Nagy would like as a stopgap but I would be reluctant to give up assets for him and pay him under his current contract terms.  As a FA if he is released sure because I think you can get him for cheaper than that on a 1-year deal and it looks like Cincy has decided to go in another direction so you have to figure he will be released since there is no dead cap for doing so.

I am fine with 17 million. I am not sure we get a starting calibre QB for less anymore.

Maybe we can reduce it to 13 with incentives per start.

5 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

In terms of vets, Dalton is my number one option right now, him plus a 2nd round pick is what I want added to the QB room next season. Dalton's a solid QB who can give you league average play if given the chance, he's still only 32 and will be cheaper than Foles. My quick two cents on some of the options:

- Foles I'm not even sure is going anywhere, he's likely starting again for the Jags after their bye, and he's making $22m next season anyway. If Foles does well the rest of the season, he could well just stay in Jax.

- Mariota is garbage, and Helfrich might be gone anyway so there goes that connection

- Winston has talent but he's broken, no coach is coaching those horrific turnovers out of him

- Minshew I'd like but the Jags aren't dumb enough to trade away a young talent like that (you'd think)

- Alex Smith intrigues me a lot but his injury also scares me alot. If he is 100% healthy I'd be all for signing Smith to be honest

- Philip Rivers would also interest me, but I think if he's not back for the Chargers next season then he might retire

- Cam Newton's injuries seem to have ruined him, and honestly I just can't stand the guy, I don't want him as the face of this franchise

Ya like I've mentioned before both Teddy B and Foles are long shots.  Not only are they unlikely to leave their current posts, they will command too much money and Bears will need to preserve what they can salary cap wise to re-sign guys like Trevethan and beef up the OL and TE positions.

I'd be fine with Dalton as a temporary starter while they look for their next guy so long as he doesn't come with a high price tag.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya like I've mentioned before both Teddy B and Foles are long shots.  Not only are they unlikely to leave their current posts, they will command too much money and Bears will need to preserve what they can salary cap wise to re-sign guys like Trevethan and beef up the OL and TE positions.

I'd be fine with Dalton as a temporary starter while they look for their next guy so long as he doesn't come with a high price tag.

Yeah agreed, don't want to be paying $22m for Foles.

Dalton is on $17m next season which I could deal with, but I asked the question on the Bengals forum last week and a lot of their fans think they may even cut him in the off-season as they can do it without having any dead cap money. Not too many other teams are gonna be needing a vet QB as badly as we will, so if that happens maybe we can get him for less.

1 minute ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah agreed, don't want to be paying $22m for Foles.

Dalton is on $17m next season which I could deal with, but I asked the question on the Bengals forum last week and a lot of their fans think they may even cut him in the off-season as they can do it without having any dead cap money. Not too many other teams are gonna be needing a vet QB as badly as we will, so if that happens maybe we can get him for less.

This is what I am thinking also.  I think Bengals lost any leverage they had in a potential trade after outright benching him last week.  The writing is on the wall now that they are moving on after this season as it's understandable that the new coach wants his own QB in the rebuild.

Though I can see a team like TB trading a pick for him since they will likely be in the market for a new QB as well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

You're all right, also depressing.  Never in a million years we'd be discussing Dalton as a great option, but he's at least average, not hurt/dead, probably cheaper than even Mike Glennon money, not a weirdo that would drive from San Diego.  I would be furious from a fan standpoint if they brought in Winston. 

Would you guys be OK moving up for a QB (hahaha, what could go wrong?) if we moved into the back of the first to make sure we get the year 5?

• Like 1

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

You're all right, also depressing.  Never in a million years we'd be discussing Dalton as a great option, but he's at least average, not hurt/dead, probably cheaper than even Mike Glennon money, not a weirdo that would drive from San Diego.  I would be furious from a fan standpoint if they brought in Winston. 

Would you guys be OK moving up for a QB (hahaha, what could go wrong?) if we moved into the back of the first to make sure we get the year 5?

I would be ok with it but it all depends on what happens in FA.  I think there will be QBs available for Bears in the 2nd who have potential.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why do we think Foles is too much money?  We were going to have to pay Trubisky if he played well so money has been budgeted and planned for a QB.

I think Foles is making 16million in 2020, however he's under contract for a couple years in JAX, so it's not just his contract it's the capital to obtain him. 

Would you be comfortable with Pace making another "all-in" move next year?  To get Foles and take advantage of a 1 year window? That's an actual question here,  I honestly don't know. What if we give up picks that could be used on a future QB, or to fix the OL, or the TE, or reinforce the defensive losses that are coming?

Edited by RunningVaccs