phillies hired Joe Girardi as manager

flyguy1609

A good hire. If I had any complaint about the guy it was his handling of the bullpen. How "analytics driven" he is....not so sure. Not his style when he was actually managing....and I found his TV comments in support of them interesting, but the games changed and he was looking for a job. 

22 hours ago, mse326 said:

I don't like it. The thing the Phillies need most and the thing that managers effect most is handling of pitching staff. He was terrible at that. I don't have any reason to think that has changed.

The main reason I wanted no part of him for the Cubs.  We had enough of that with Joe.  

On 10/24/2019 at 6:42 AM, mse326 said:

I don't like it. The thing the Phillies need most and the thing that managers effect most is handling of pitching staff. He was terrible at that. I don't have any reason to think that has changed.

Am I missing something? I don't remember Girardi having any issues with his pitching staff since he was with the Marlins.

Girardi is a great hire for them (or anyone).

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Am I missing something? I don't remember Girardi having any issues with his pitching staff since he was with the Marlins.

Girardi is a great hire for them (or anyone).

Ran Betances into the ground multiple times. Generally refused to pitch relievers more than 1 inning. Also had the benefit of great relievers like Betances, Miller, Chapman. No history of him piecing together a bad bullpen to make them serviceable and his general history doesn't suggest the skills to do that.

16 hours ago, mse326 said:

Ran Betances into the ground multiple times. Generally refused to pitch relievers more than 1 inning. Also had the benefit of great relievers like Betances, Miller, Chapman. No history of him piecing together a bad bullpen to make them serviceable and his general history doesn't suggest the skills to do that.

I don’t ever remember Betances being fatigued. In 2017 he lost his control just bc he’s so big and the 2019 injury was a fluke.

I suppose he was married to his 7th and 8th inning guys, but it’s not like most managers use setup men for multiple innings in the regular season. He used Green like that in 2017.

Our bullpens in the late 2000s were actually not that talented btw. Lots of Brian Bruney, Albaladejo, Farnsworth, Veras, Edwar Ramirez, etc. Phil Hughes and Sevy both found success as relievers. But Girardi did a his best job with the 2013/14 squads. I don’t know how those sorry teams had winning records.

Yeah I have nothing against Girardi. His time ran out in New York because of personality clashes in the locker room, not his managerial skills. I liked him a lot when he was here sans that horrible mistake in not challenging that call against the Indians in 2017, even though they came back from 2-0 to win.

• Like 1