The Knucklehead Thread

Uncle Buck

I decided that it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can look for updates or breaking news on players whose knucklehead behavior affects the team.

For our first entry, we have the following:

https://www.fox9.com/sports/msp-vikings-player-facing-dwi-gun-charges-after-driving-onto-closed-portion-of-i-94

Edited by Uncle Buck

Cornerback Mike Hughes was a passenger in the car and the police report said he was throwing up outside the vehicle “due to his level of intoxication.” Zimmer referenced both players in a response that made his displeasure with the incident quite obvious.

“I’m very, very ticked off,” Zimmer said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “Since I’ve been here the last six years, I’ve worked extremely hard to clean up the reputation of this organization, this team off the field. We’ve put in a lot of resources for them to not have these kind of issues, and for them to do that is really idiotic.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/30/mike-zimmer-very-very-ticked-off-about-jayron-kearse-arrest/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Definitely have a hard time believing that Kearse will be back next year. Not good for Hughes either, he’s supposed to be a starter in year 3 given that the Vikes can’t afford Waynes and Rhodes. Disappointing to say the least, and then there is Holton Hill.

I get Zimmer's anger at Kearse and Hughes.  Besides being a terrible choice to go get drunk, then get behind the wheel intoxicated, while having an illegal firearm in the car, it's a violation of the coaches trust in these two players; as well as being a violation of trust of the front office, the owners, and their teammates.  Broken trust doesn't just automatically get fixed when someone says they are sorry.  They have to earn it back, which is twice as hard the second time.  At least this is how I have felt when my trust in someone has been violated by behavior similar to this.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Hughes lost Zimmer’s trust? I didn’t realize prohibition was reinstated. 

Drinking and having a good time is one thing, having to vomit on the side of the road while your driver is also intoxicated shows terrible judgement. Did Hughes not know Kearse was drinking? Why didn’t Hughes step in and call a cab? 

• Like 2