The Knucklehead Thread

Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Why didn’t Hughes step in and call a cab?

Seriously? You’re actually wondering why a guy who’s intoxicated enough to be vomiting on the side of the road wasn’t coherent enough to call a cab? 

22 and 25 year olds get drunk. Sometimes they get stupid drunk, and what Kearse did was stupid. But the idea that trust was lost just makes me roll my eyes. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Seriously? You’re actually wondering why a guy who’s intoxicated enough to be vomiting on the side of the road wasn’t coherent enough to call a cab? 

22 and 25 year olds get drunk. Sometimes they get stupid drunk, and what Kearse did was stupid. But the idea that trust was lost just makes me roll my eyes. 

Yes, 22 and 25 year olds do get drunk.  The thing is, when you are a 22 or 25 year old who is privileged enough to be paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, you are suddenly expected to act more like a mature adult.  Age may be a reason, but it is not a legitimate excuse.

In addition to that, 22 and 25 year olds usually do not drive around with a Glock pistol with an extended magazine that allows it to carry 28 rounds - one of which was in the chamber of the pistol.  It was Kearse's weapon, but it was also reportedly sitting on the floor at Hughes' feet.  

I don't know about most 22-25 year olds, but when I was far younger than that, I knew better than to be driving home drunk from at 3:45 AM from places where it would have been necessary to carry a loaded weapon for protection.  Actually, I've never been drunk in my life, but I don't expect that everyone will be like I was in this regard. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Hmmm...you don't get it?  I'm surprised.  After all, it's well known that Zimmer expects his players to be responsible for themselves off and on the field.  He expects and trusts them to be able to control themselves and not get in trouble.  Kearse and Hughes broke that trust.

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Based on Zimmer’s comments, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he sits both players this week. 

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Based on Zimmer’s comments, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he sits both players this week. 

Kearse has had limited defensive snaps the last few weeks, I fully don't expect him to take any of them this game...but he'll likely still get his ST snaps.  Hughes will probably just sit out the first drive and be back in after.  He's far too valuable a backup at this point.  

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Kearse, sure. But Hughes, who was the subject of my previous posts, didn’t do anything wrong.

He showed terrible judgement in getting in a car with someone who was intoxicated and illegally carrying a pistol. Legally, sure he didn’t do anything wrong, but Zimmer specifically called his actions as idiotic. 

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

he showed very poor judgment, allowing an intoxicated friend to drive a vehicle at highway speeds. yeah, that's wrong.

You sound as if you’re expecting Hughes to be making these judgements like someone who’s sober. That clearly wasn’t the case.

• Like 1

How visibly intoxicated could Kearse have been? Seems like Hughes has quite a bit more to drink and I doubt Hughes was counting Kearse's drinks. If he said he's fine and Hughes couldn't notice any difference in a less than sober state it's hard to blame Hughes for getting in the car.

Maybe Hughes is just a light weight and can't hold his liquor

The poor judgment occurred prior to the drinking, not after when Hughes decided to get into the car.  If they planned on drinking, they should have made alternate plans on how they were getting home.  That's the idiotic part that Zimmer was referrring to.  It's called being an adult.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You sound as if you’re expecting Hughes to be making these judgements like someone who’s sober. That clearly wasn’t the case.

err... when you're a highly paid athlete representing a team and are regularly mentored on how to call for a limo prior to an evening out when you think you'll be too intoxicated to drive yourself and then fail to make that arrangement, when you're sober, then yes you're being an irresponsible idiot.

• Like 1