Week 9: VIKINGS (6-2) at Chiefs (5-3)

swede700

When Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Bobby Bell was getting ready to face the Vikings in Super Bowl IV, he had some extra incentive.

Bell had starred for the University of Minnesota before the Vikings selected him in the second round of the 1963 draft. He said the Vikings wouldn’t offer a guaranteed contract and seemed lukewarm to him, so he signed a guaranteed deal with the Chiefs of the AFL.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/29/chiefs-bobby-bell-had-plenty-of-incentive-50-years-ago-vs-vikings-in-super-bowl-iv/

On 10/28/2019 at 9:21 AM, swede700 said:

While I'd certainly have liked to see Mahomes at 100% play, I'll take a Vikings win any way it comes, considering I've yet to see them win at Arrowhead (I think this will be my 3rd game there, as I was there in '07 and '11)

It will be my first Arrowhead regular season game. Should be a good time. Going to be a cold one.

Vikings receiver Adam Thielen didn’t practice at all last week, in advance of a Thursday night game against Washington. On Wednesday, four days before a critical game at Kansas City, Thielen practiced on a limited basis.

The Vikings listed only three players on Wednesday’s official report: Thielen and defensive tackles Linval Joseph and Shamar Stephen. Both fully participated with knee injuries.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/30/adam-thielen-returns-to-practice-on-limited-basis/

The Vikings, if they hope to turn 6-2 into a special season, need to win in Kansas City on Sunday. To do that, they need to control the clock. But dominating the time-of-possession battle won’t be easy, given the Chiefs in recent weeks have decided to force the issue with a defense that has pivoted to attack mode.

Zimmer:  “I mean they’ve had some games where the time of possession has been overwhelmingly against them, but we’re always trying to do that. We’re always trying to win the time of possession, we’re always trying to be good on third downs, control the ball. They’ve blitzed the last three weeks a lot more, like I’ve said before. It’s a loud environment, so we’re going to have to be on our P’s and Q’s. Every week is a new week, but when you start getting 16, 17, 18 blitzes in a row, it could be their identity now."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/30/mike-zimmer-anticipates-plenty-of-blitzes-from-the-chiefs/

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings, if they hope to turn 6-2 into a special season, need to win in Kansas City on Sunday. To do that, they need to control the clock. But dominating the time-of-possession battle won’t be easy, given the Chiefs in recent weeks have decided to force the issue with a defense that has pivoted to attack mode.

And they've paid for it.

23 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I like running right at the pressure.

And that's exactly what I expect them to do, whether or not Frank Clark plays.  He has been really bad against the run, so whoever replaces him probably isn't any better...and Chris Jones is still limited, so he may not play either.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings should split Cook out wide early in the game to test whether the Chiefs have made adjustments since last week. Aaron Jones ate them up when the Chiefs covered him with a LB.

I could actually see Abdullah taking on that role. When they have split a back wide, I seem to recall him taking that role most often. That might also make it less obvious. Either way, I agree with the notion.

• Like 2

Two weeks since Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes suffered a dislocated kneecap, he once again was on the practice field, participating in a limited basis.

It’s still unclear whether he’ll play on Sunday against the Vikings. Last week, the Chiefs ruled him out on Friday. This week, it won’t be a surprise if he’s listed as doubtful or questionable, with a final decision coming on Sunday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/31/patrick-mahomes-is-limited-in-practice-again/