Week 9: VIKINGS (6-2) at Chiefs (5-3)

swede700

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

When will we be able to depend on them to get a stop at a crucial time? 

This isn’t about how many points they gave up through the whole game. It’s about getting a stop when it’s needed most. And this defense has continuously failed to get those crucial stops in the last 2 seasons. 

Even generating turnovers.

I get it....Harris had that ball thrown right to him from Haskins but there's just not a player on this team that I look at and say "OK, make a play. Go get that ball."

Everyone is so fundamentally sound to a fault that there's zero effort in going for the pick or strip.

The last truly clutch turnover we had (as far as I remember) was Waynes picking off Rodgers during the first game at US Bank Stadium

People can try and hold Cousins accountable for something that he’s clearly not, and has never shown to be all they want. But this defense is supposed to be a top tier unit. It’s supposed to be the foundation on which this team is built. So, where are they in the big moment? Where are they when the game is on the line? Where are they when the team needs a big play? 

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

People can try and hold Cousins accountable for something that he’s clearly not, and has never shown to be all they want. But this defense is supposed to be a top tier unit. It’s supposed to be the foundation on which this team is built. So, where are they in the big moment? Where are they when the game is on the line? Where are they when the team needs a big play? 

Not showing up. Zimmer isn't as much a genius when Spielman starts investing high picks on offense instead of defense..... Which has been my point the whole time. 

Why does it have to one or the other and not all of them? There were a couple of key moments on both side of the ball that shifted things for KC. Cousins, Zimmer, the Secondary, Stefanski, Elflein all had bad moments that were too difficult to overcome in the end. This was just a bad team loss. One that they really should have had going away.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Why does it have to one or the other and not all of them? There were a couple of key moments on both side of the ball that shifted things for KC. Cousins, Zimmer, the Secondary, Stefanski, Elflein all had bad moments that were too difficult to overcome in the end. This was just a bad team loss. One that they really should have had going away.

I'm with you, but people all over this board blame Cousins for every loss. 

Cousins overthrew Diggs a couple times but I can’t blame this loss on him. 

I give that credit to the defense and coaching. Really feeling ready to move on from Zimmer. He’s a pretty good coach capable of building a decent team, but not an elite one. The Keenum year was fun but that isn’t happening again. 

Keep defending him until he’s fired. 

23 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm with you, but people all over this board blame Cousins for every loss. 

He is the QB so that will happen. I wouldn't blame him for this loss, but he did have a terrible day and that was a major contributing factor in this loss.  But I agree that it is not an either/or. It is a both/and with regards to OL, QB, defense, and coaching.

Pat Elflein has been so bad for so long that it no longer makes sense to blame him for being terrible. That is a coaching and general manager thing by this point. It seems likely that the coaches keep trotting him out there because the general manager hasn't given them a better alternative.

Cousins had a pretty bad game, but overall he is fine. I am not worried about it.

Anthony Harris also had a bad game, but overall he is fine too. I am not too worried about that either.

The play calling left something to be desired, but I haven't lost faith in the play caller. Stefanski is still in his first year calling plays and has overall done a good job. He had a bad day. It looked like he didn't know how to adjust to some of the limitations based on the things the Chiefs were doing to the offense. He'll look at it and learn.

Lets keep in mind that all the players we are not complaining about had pretty good games. The team overall still looks pretty good even if it has a flaw or two that will likely be fatal to their chances this year.

Late Add:

Full disclosure: I didn't see the last offensive drive of the Chiefs. I didn't watched the entire game up until the throw for negative seven yards. It was third and 17 at that point with just over two minutes to go. I can't comment on how the defense gacked the game away after that but I understand our punter shanked the punt leaving the defense in a tough situation. I can add the punter to the list of people that had a bad day that I am not overall too worried about. The punter was having a good enough day on all the punts that I watched.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add