Week 9: VIKINGS (6-2) at Chiefs (5-3)

swede700

4 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Even generating turnovers.

I get it....Harris had that ball thrown right to him from Haskins but there's just not a player on this team that I look at and say "OK, make a play. Go get that ball."

Everyone is so fundamentally sound to a fault that there's zero effort in going for the pick or strip.

The last truly clutch turnover we had (as far as I remember) was Waynes picking off Rodgers during the first game at US Bank Stadium

Harrison Smith INT at soldier field at the end of the game turning potentially a 2~3 start to 3~2 and we all know the rest

Here are some additional thoughts:

Kansas City's offense is still above average without Mahomes.  Against them, the defensive line, I thought, played very well!  As others have pointed out, the secondary had difficulty with their receiving package...which again...is very good.  If I recall correctly, there were a lot of contested balls when KC was on offense, and their receivers came down with all of them.

When the Vikings were on offense, Cousins should've been able to have more success against a suspect secondary, but our oline didn't do very well in either phase of the game.  Elflein was dreadful, and Bradbury was called for how many penalties in the 4th quarter?  Also, as others have pointed out, Diggs was wide open a lot of the time and Cousins didn't seem to look his way.  That's curious to me.  Johnson, Treadwell, Rudolph and Smith did okay, but none of them are Stefon Diggs!

Let's contextualize this loss a bit before we all get on the "Fire Zimmer" bandwagon. It was game 1 of a 2 game road trip that I think we can agree the Vikings needed to win 1 of. The Dallas game is arguably more important for tie breakers involved in playoff seeding. All of the NFC North lost so nothing is lost in the divisional race.

The advanced metrics also still love the Vikings. They have the third best point differential at this point in the season, are one of the top teams in Expected Points Added per play on offense and defense. They are 4th in the NFL in yards per play and 3rd in the NFL in ANY/A and ANY/A differential (ANY/a offensive + defensive numbers).

All of the Vikings goals are still in front of them and hopefully the team learns from this loss to adapt better mid game (this was a game we should've thrown more and with different concepts than what we used, tbh) and can get a much more important next week @Dallas.

I'm fine contextualizing, but even after looking on the bright side this is a bad loss. A 91 yard TD run that got past Smith and Harris, big plays to Hill, an off day from Cousins, and KC still had to score two FG in the last four minutes of the game at home to win. That's not the kind of game that they can afford to give away - playing poorly against a really good opponent and still finding themselves with a lead in the 4th quarter. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm fine contextualizing, but even after looking on the bright side this is a bad loss. A 91 yard TD run that got past Smith and Harris, big plays to Hill, an off day from Cousins, and KC still had to score two FG in the last four minutes of the game at home to win. That's not the kind of game that they can afford to give away - playing poorly against a really good opponent and still finding themselves with a lead in the 4th quarter. 

Even on an off day, the Vikes kept it close on the road. At least they didn’t get trounced like the Patriots, who haven’t been challenged all year. 

A win would have been huge with the Packers, Bears and Lions dropping games. 

I think the Vikes have a couple clear weaknesses, cornerback play is not good an the interior OL is bad in pass protection. They will have to manage these two faults the rest of the year. Which will mean a more conservative defense and more zone coverage, and possibly more games like this from Cousins. 

I felt better about beating the Cowboys than the Chiefs, even with Moore at QB and winning 1 of 2 during this road stretch should be considered acceptable. The Dallas game is more crucial to win for the NFC playoff race anyway.

Not many offenses have the weapons that KC has and certainly, won’t find many receivers like Hill. It’s just disappointing that Waynes is showing little progress to deserve a top 10 CB contract. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

While the loss was certainly disappointing, I am actually pleased with how they played most of the game.  For me, being in the stands, it came down to the offensive line not playing very well, and some critical lapses on the defensive side of the ball.  But, I can certainly tell you there were points in the game where the Vikings fans drowned out the Chiefs' fans, who should feel extremely lucky to have gotten the victory, because they didn't play all that well at all.  They just made plays when they had to and were given short fields on some bad punts there in the 4th quarter.

Once again, the Vikings fans showed up in droves at the stadium...with arguably at least 1/3 of the stadium in purple.  And while we didn't come out of it with a W, it certainly was the best game I've seen there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

This loss, imo, just makes the Dallas game a must win game. 

Yeah. I didn't expect us to win BOTH but it was crucial to get one of the two before hosting the 3-6 Broncos with something called Allen at QB.

Going into the bye at 8-3 would be pretty good especially when Green Bay in the 2nd half with a gaggle of road games (4 of the last 8) and having to play a decent Panthers team and an unstoppable 49ers team then finishing the season with 3 straight division games (with 2 on the road).

Just stay a couple games up on Carolina/Rams/Eagles for that wild card spot at minimum.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

4 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Yeah. I didn't expect us to win BOTH but it was crucial to get one of the two before hosting the 3-6 Broncos with something called Allen at QB.

Going into the bye at 8-3 would be pretty good especially when Green Bay in the 2nd half with a gaggle of road games (4 of the last 8) and having to play a decent Panthers team and an unstoppable 49ers team then finishing the season with 3 straight division games (with 2 on the road).

Just stay a couple games up on Carolina/Rams/Eagles for that wild card spot at minimum.

I just don’t think the Packers are that good. They looked miserable against the Chargers and have had a lot go their way with some of their home wins. I think they struggle in the second half of the season with those road games. It took a couple of miracle throws by Rodgers against KC. While we’ve grown to accept that with Rodgers in his prime, I’m just not sure how sustainable it will be the rest of this season. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I just don’t think the Packers are that good. They looked miserable against the Chargers and have had a lot go their way with some of their home wins. I think they struggle in the second half of the season with those road games. 

I agree.

But they do have games against the Giants, Skins, Bears, and Lions left. You figure they beat the Giants and Skins....that's 9 wins. They'll probably win one or both of Detroit/Chicago so that's 10-11 wins. Carolina SHOULD beat them with CMC. We should beat them at home.

We're going to have to win 11 or possibly 12 games to win the division, IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

While the loss was certainly disappointing, I am actually pleased with how they played most of the game.  For me, being in the stands, it came down to the offensive line not playing very well, and some critical lapses on the defensive side of the ball.  But, I can certainly tell you there were points in the game where the Vikings fans drowned out the Chiefs' fans, who should feel extremely lucky to have gotten the victory, because they didn't play all that well at all.  They just made plays when they had to and were given short fields on some bad punts there in the 4th quarter.

Once again, the Vikings fans showed up in droves at the stadium...with arguably at least 1/3 of the stadium in purple.  And while we didn't come out of it with a W, it certainly was the best game I've seen there.  

The crowd was out of it until that TD run. That play changed the entire momentum of the 2nd half.

5 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

The crowd was out of it until that TD run. That play changed the entire momentum of the 2nd half.

I agree with that.  It was awfully quiet for most of the game.  We were louder than the Chiefs' fans were.  It was fairly quiet again though once we took the lead back.  We have had the Skol chant going up in our corner of the field.  :)

Edited by swede700

I'm just as upset as everyone with the defense. There was a 17 play, 85 yard drive, that ate up 8:56 of the clock that led to 3 points. Credit the defense, I guess, for holding them to a FG but that drive was so frustrating. Death by 1,000 cuts.

Simply put this defense needs to step up in big moments this year.

Looked like Harrison was late getting over the top on the ~40ish yard TD by Hill. Unacceptable to give up a 91-yard run on defense up the gut.

• Like 1