Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

Just now, KingTitan said:

Marcus threw 41 passes. That's hardly pounding the rock. We were behind yeah. But we threw the ball. 

Offense as a whole failed to make plays when they needed too. Whether it was Marcus converting a pass or getting a 3rd and short. 

he was 10 for 15 at the half.  murray kept running into mack, we fell behind which led to mariota throwing 41 passes.  something with this offense has to change, it looks the same as it did last year.  

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Marcus threw 41 passes. That's hardly pounding the rock. We were behind yeah. But we threw the ball. 

Offense as a whole failed to make plays when they needed too. Whether it was Marcus converting a pass or getting a 3rd and short. 

I guess I expect more verticality out of our O. It makes too much sense to me to have rishard/Davis stretch the field while decker/taylor eat up the underneath routes. 

That just seems like a no brainer for this O (but obviously it's one game so no real sample size as to what we are going to do)

24 minutes ago, footlunder said:

he was 10 for 15 at the half.  murray kept running into mack, we fell behind which led to mariota throwing 41 passes.  something with this offense has to change, it looks the same as it did last year.  

We were also limited to 3 possessions in the first half.  RBs had 11 carries in the first half.  Mariota had all 3 of his runs in the 1st as well, although one was a scramble, while 2 were designed runs.  So it's not like we ran on 60% of our plays... or even 50%.  In fact, it looks like we called 16 pass plays to 13 run plays.  That's hardly a ground and pound ratio... especially considering the score and flow of the game to that point.  

Well it is one game. And we had a chance to win even with our mistakes. 

We lost to a potential super bowl team. Most of us don't think we are a super bowl contender. But we still have the look of a playoff team. 

There are plenty of things to be critical of and second guess, just like after every lost. 

However there were some great things to. 

Corey Davis looked legit even with limited reps. Long season. 

Like the way the team is built. 

Going back to look at it.....

There were 2 drives that should have ended with a TD. We had a lot of momentum.  We moved the ball well. Wasn't a drive really where  I was like "Dang, can we do anything?"  Passes were getting complete.  Matthews, Walker and Davis was doing their thing.  A little more work together will make a big difference. 

15 minutes ago, ChiefMoccanooga said:

Why did we sign Decker if he isn't going to get open?

Decker was an Oakland defender finger tip away from a TD.  He was open and Marcus had to loft it to him off balance, due to pressure. Neal got a finger or two on the ball to tip it away. Decker was open.

Just another example of getting 3 instead of a TD. 

I really don't know what to think about this team. I'll say even though we struggled offensively and  the Jags beat up Houston the Titans could still go in there and win because Mariota is better than Savage and Watson. As far as today's game goes I have a few thoughts I'll try to go in order or keep them in order as best as I can.

Mariota was fine but the O-Line at times didn't give him a chance late in that game he was under duress a lot. 

I didn't like the play calling a lot today. There were times it looked fine but it became real obvious at certain points in that game that the Titans were going to run run pass run run pass.

The toss sweep to Murray on 3rd and 2 sucked I wish they were in shotgun and put the ball in Mariotas hands and let him decide who runs it if it's him or Murray. I think Mularkey and Robiskies game plan wasn't all that good they didn't feature the TEs as much as they should have. 

Just quick to the other positions on offense I mentioned the line wasn't good for the 2nd half of that game. 

Davis and Matthews were good today. The only thing Mariota and Davis weren't on the same page on was twice Davis cut in and Mariota threw it outside so that's something hey have to get on the same page with. 

Decker clearly wasn't in sync with Mariota and Mariota seemed to be trying to force it to him at times. Hopefully in the next few weeks it gets better. I will say if Mariota just threw it a little further before the half Decker probably comes down with a great catch.

I don't know if it was Oaklands D or Murrays health but he seems to be lacking in speed. Even with that said I still don't trust Henry to be the guy yet. Another thing I hate about the way the RBs are used is Mularkey and Robiskie seem to have it set in stone who gets what drove. For example the whole 3rd drive was all Henry. Room pointed out they probably told him no matter what happens the 3rd drive is his and to be honest I don't like hearing that. Why can't Mularkey and Robiskie figure out what Henry does well and when certain situations come up sub the backs in an out i don't get why Henry has to have designated drives just sub them.

Delanie was fine no complaints at all I'm glad when he got supplexed by Irvin that he didn't react in a negative way and negate the 15 yard penalty.

Jonnu Smith was none existent in the pass game and struggled at times blocking.

Defensivley Titans still have a ton of work to do and it doesn't feel like its close to being fixed. My true opinion based on the personnel they have and nothing against Lebeau I truely believe the Titans would be better suited as a 4-3.

The pass rush struggled and only got home twice and it was on back to back plays. I barely noticed Orakpo today. 

Jayon Brown was ok on defense obviously still has work to do but I was happy with his play for the most part.

Adoree Jackson was beat up pretty badly in here today but I think the kid showed heart if anything today. They kept throwing at him and as the game went on he got better. He just needs to really get better at tackling. I give him credit for not quitting on the team and gave it his all against a top WR in this league I feel confident going forward with him that he'll get better over time. 

McCain sucks there is no way around it he's just bad. I wish we seen Reed over him since we seen a lot of Ty Smith.

Cyprien had a rough day and next week it doesn't get any easier with Fournette.

Succop overall was a disappointment I know even If he hits the kick at the end we still lose but that was awful it was so far to the right but the bigger knock on him was when we really needed a touchback he gives Patterson a chance to return the kick and runs it out to mid field.

Special Teams was awful all day today the only bright spot was the one return Jackson had.

i think we'll be ok the loss sucks but I have faith Mariota has a big game next week kind of a redemption game from last year. The one person I hope the Titans get involved a little more is Taywon Taylor. The kid seems to always make a play with the ball in his hands and I think he only had 2 chances today I want to see more.

we just have to take it game by game and this week coming up is a big one being that it's a division game. Bortles didn't seem to play all that good today and they lost Robinson so you just never know I still have faith in the team but between the penalties which have been a thing all preseason long and the play calling at times and the lack of points on the board isn't pretty right now but Corey Davis is a special player and in time will be fun watching him and Mariota do big things together. 

Bortles played pretty decent for his standards tbh (was victimized by drops too). Against one of the best defenses in the league. Losing A-Rob sucks but it's not like we are going to be throwing the ball 40 times regardless. Hurns and Lee will need to step up in his absence. Ideally they want Bortles in that 20-25 attempt range per game. Our offense is going to be centered around the run game. Steady dose of Fournette and Ivory. 

No turnovers from Blake, run the ball and good defense. That's the Jags recipe for victory.

im eager to see our D-Line vs your O-Line. That will be a great battle. It'd be nice to be 2-0 with both wins in the division but we will see.

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Titans0021, I'm so sorry for supporting Cyprien this offseason.

You know, I hated the signing so much this offseason. But mainly because I thought it was just the exact opposite of the kind of safety that would be best next to Byard, who I continue to believe would thrive as a roving strong safety and is instead being forced into a pure free safety role. Regardless of how passionately I was against the move, even I didn't think he could be this bad to open the season.

He was just useless out there. The one thing I thought we would at least get is a guy that could come up and make a tackle in space, and he was the first guy there on I think four of the Raiders biggest plays of the day. And just totally whiffed. Repeatedly. I think there was one play where he got to the line and wrapped up Marshawn's ankles on a two-yard gain. That was, by far, his best play of the game. I genuinely think we're better off with Jayon Brown taking the role Cyprien played today.

Archived