Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

My main worry concern about this game was the lack of fire gang tackling by our D. Some of that might be the type of O run by Oakland they have a real vertical offense and spent the day running underneath routes.   

Next Mariota did not have a good second half I think moving forward we will see better routes from our WR.  I really didn't like the way we used Decker and we needed my go routes from Davis to clear the underneath 

I was also disappointed in the run game blocking seemed a little off synch with the. Backs 

i still give us a great shot at being 3-2 or   4-1.   

After sleeping on it. I still feel ok. 

We played a great offense and didn't get embarrassed. We played them tough. We got overpowered on both sides for a few plays. But they are pros too. It happens. 

We lost. We didn't get murdered. A lost can be rebounded from. 

17 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Conklin getting trucked

Correction... This was Kline, not Conklin

This has to be concerning. He ended on his back both times on 1-1 plays.

He's the weak-link of the OL. He's basically what Amano was back in the day. Definitely wouldn't be against targeting a good OL in the draft or FA. He definitely won't be back. This team wants to be a power football team but has a finesse OG at RG. Would be nice to replace him with a dominant RG.

11 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I think we need to look at incognito from buffalo if he's on the block.

but how did Conklin look against Mack. Did he need a lot of help or did he play him 1 on 1 mostly 

I think the nature of our blocking scheme is to give help to everyone. We max protect a lot.

Mack made some tackles for loss plays against the run. Didn't get a sack.

The Raiders run defense improved from last year. So give them credit for that also

16 hours ago, TitanLegend said:
16 hours ago, titans0021 said:

-hope- is right, we're being too positive. So yeah, Jonathan Cyprien is garbage. Total and complete garbage. I'd rather have Jayon Brown take every one of his snaps. We could have resigned Stafford for the minimum and got the exact same production.

It was pretty insane how many tackles he missed. THink he had 3 in the game, he had 4 all of last year.

So I have to ask, and I'm sorry, but I've held my tongue on this question for a while because I had a case of "Well maybe the team knows something I don't" after I was so critical of the Derrick Henry pick last year and he turned out well but..... why did the Titans sign Jonathan Cyprien in the first place?  They've been seeing him twice a year.  He is not a good player.  He was never a good NFL player and he got paid like he was.  I would think teams in the AFC South division would know better.  Whatsupwittdat? 

They front load all our FA contracts in the 1st year, Logan Williams & cypriean can all be cut next yr without counting significantly against the cap. 

As for cyprien I guess the titans felt he could be better in their system than he was in Jacksonville but it's just 1 game I say let us get 4 games in vs tough competition & see what we have 

fyi, for all the people calling for robiskie's head after that toss sweep on 3rd and 2...mariota checked into it. whoops. lol

i'd posit that robiskie doesn't need to be convinced that marcus needs to be entrusted with key situations like that: i think marcus does.

34 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

fyi, for all the people calling for robiskie's head after that toss sweep on 3rd and 2...mariota checked into it. whoops. lol

Dammit, Marcus!!

That said, we were told this offseason through that BR report that Marcus would have full liberty to check out of plays at the LOS and change them if he doesn't like the look. Is this a growing pain? My biggest problem with this playcall was that it was a sweep...pre-snap you have to think that DeMarco would have a chance to go full-head-of-steam for 2 yards behind that many blockers (even though the personnel wasn't ideal). The sweep to the short side of the field was the issue. 

Offense just looked out of sync yesterday as a whole. It's too early to say this, but we have the personnel to be really balanced and dynamic on offense. I'm talking about the type of O that can march down the field in 5 plays, especially through the air. We were also told that the team practiced a lot of hurry-up in TC and was moving at a very high speed. (It's only one week), but where was that? Why not do that against a defense like Oakland?

I said it at the time of the signing... Cyprien was a good signing if the intent was to play him in that hybrid LBer role.  Yesterday's issues weren't on coverage however... it was his tackling that was the issue.  If nothing else, Cyprien has been excellent at wrapping up and not missing tackles in his career.  His performance yesterday, was extremely surprising at least in that regard.  I expect a bounce back to the norm from him... and if LeBeau keeps him playing the same role he played yesterday, then he should be fine.  

As for Williams, his signing was one of the biggest head scratching move this offseason.  The scheme yesterday didn't help matters.  NTs only played 31 snaps... and the DL as a whole only played 130 snaps... that averages to less than 2 DL on  on each snap (66 defensive snaps).  That's interesting to me... considering most of us feel the DL is one of our biggest strengths...

By comparison, we had 274 linebacker snaps.... which averages to just over 4 LBers on each snap... and tells us our most common formation was a 2-4-5 Nickel line up... and we were willing to go 1-5-5 more often than we willing to go with the more traditional 3-3-5 alignment.  

Other interesting things the snap counts tell us

• Tye Smith may be above Reed on the depth chart (unless Reed got hurt on a STs play, and I missed it).  He only played 2 snaps on D, but that's 2 more than Reed had.  
  • Jonnu Smith almost tripled Supernaw's snap count (24:9).  That's very encouraging to see.  
  • Fowler only played 3 snaps.  Maybe it was the game flow in the 2nd half... but if that continues, it may be time to open up that roster spot for another position... and maybe have one of the TE's play that limited FB role when needed.  
  • Murray and Henry played on at least 1 snap together.  
  • WR snap counts were interesting... Decker - 60, Matthews - 52, Davis - 42, Taylor - 6.  Taylor needs to at least triple that number next week... eating into Decker and Supernaw snaps.
  • 6 players on D played 80+% of the snaps... and 5 of them were our "starting" secondary, to include McCain.  Searcy (11), Trawick (4) and Smith (2)  were the only others to receive snaps in the secondary.  (Morgan was the 6th player). 
  • Looking at those secondary snap counts, we had 4 plays with 3 safeties out there... 52 plays with a Nickel, and 2 in a 4-CB dime set.   

Our offense had 7 3rd and 8's or longer yesterday. Seven.

That is horrible. Outside of 2 runs Murray did absolutely nothing. Henry looked slightly better, but there wasn't much room for either of them. OL has to do a much better job. I don't think our run/pass ratio was off. The problem was that when we ran we never got more than a couple yards outside of a couple plays. 

ST penalties killed us again.

Missed tackles galore.

Those are the three biggest things for me. Mariota looked really good until he tried doing too much at the end. He did an amazing job moving around in the pocket. The fact that he wasn't sacked had a lot to do with how much better he was at working around the pocket. No running game plus an incomplete pass equals a lot of third and longs. We can't complete every early down pass and when you get to third and long the odds aren't great. We need the running game to make it 3rd and 5 in those scenarios instead of 3rd and long.

Our run defense looked bad.

When i defended the signing of Cyprien, it wasn't because I was okay with him covering Amari Cooper. I thought he'd be kept close to the LOS. Byard doesn't look near as good playing deep as he does playing close. I still woukd like to make him our all-around SS and find another FS.

I was too hard on Jackson. Stemming from me seeing him as a punt returner rather than a CB even before he was drafted. Hopefully he cleans it up, but I still don't know about him growing into an outside CB. Only time will tell.

Needs: OLB, FS, RG.

These were the vids I was trying to post earlier... wasn't able to embed them from my phone, but I was able to from my PC... I thought they were both Conklin, but in the 2nd one, Conlin is lined up between Spain and Lewan on the left side... but regardless, Conklin looked just as bad in the top vid, and directly resulted in Mariota throwing off his back foot, leaving him short just enough for the S to deflect it away from Decker.  

Archived