Week 9: Sam Darnold vs the Miami Dolphins

jetskid007

2 hours ago, TheChad said:

I feel like we needed Miami to win last week.

There's so much more pressure on every team facing the Dolphins to not lose to the Dolphins than there is for the Dolphins to actually win a game at this point.

I feel like we had a lot of distractions this week to maybe alter our mental prep for this game.

5 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So we need wins but they gotta be convincing and if they’re aren’t it’s an issue but if they are then the guys getting blamed don’t get credit because the team we beat isn’t trying to win anyway so essentially no matter what happens the dark side wins. 

Got it. 

We beat the tanking dolphins 13-10 and Sam throws 3 picks how you feel about that win? Any different? 

The needing wins part is over...we are 1-6 and a complete disaster. What we need is a rebuild and for our QB to start looking better. I’ll be honest idc what the outcome of the game is or the score...San has to look good against a tanking team to get a better feeling for this team going forward. Can’t be turning the call over against teams like the Dolphins, Giants, Redskins and Bengals. Forget just the Dolphins game. Sam has 6 games against losing teams with only the Raiders being a game that you look at their team and say they are better than we are right now. Make progress. Wins will come when this team is constructed right and players are healthy. The rest of the season has to be about Sam gaining confidence. If we win great, if we don’t, we still want to see Sam play way more mistake free football, see Q make strides in D, and see who is worth keeping around going forward. 

• Like 1

I think we do pretty well here. I'm desperate in my FF league. I have Goff on a bye and the QB WW is thin. So you guessed it I'm going with Sam Darnold!!! We need this win bad. If we do really well here winning changes things really fast. I still see us winning 6 games from here on out. We have Miami twice, redskins, Cinn, Giants and the Steelers. We also have the Raiders coming to us which is ALWAYS a hard game to win on the road. If I remember correctly we usually win here and lose there no matter what the records are. If that happens we end up 8-8 with a good momentum going into 2020. 

47 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think we do pretty well here. I'm desperate in my FF league. I have Goff on a bye and the QB WW is thin. So you guessed it I'm going with Sam Darnold!!! We need this win bad. If we do really well here winning changes things really fast. I still see us winning 6 games from here on out. We have Miami twice, redskins, Cinn, Giants and the Steelers. We also have the Raiders coming to us which is ALWAYS a hard game to win on the road. If I remember correctly we usually win here and lose there no matter what the records are. If that happens we end up 8-8 with a good momentum going into 2020. 

I’ve got Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, and Cooper Kupp on bye this week. Enter Crowder, I think this is a good game to start Sam

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

So we need wins but they gotta be convincing and if they’re aren’t it’s an issue but if they are then the guys getting blamed don’t get credit because the team we beat isn’t trying to win anyway so essentially no matter what happens the dark side wins. 

Got it. 

The dark side lol

• Like 1

All the things that everyone has mentioned are why I named it "Sam Darnold vs the Miami Dolphins"

Guys are distracted, guys are frustrated, and the team is on the brink of total division. Sam can change that. He's the calming presence this team needs. 

It's also on Gase to call designed roll outs. It's what he's most comfortable doing. 

• Like 1

32. New York Jets

Adjusted DVOA of remaining opponents: -20.6%
Adjusted DVOA of past opponents: 12.7% (2)

Similar to Cleveland, things are about to get much easier for the New York Jets. The Jets are the only team that still gets to play Miami twice, and Miami is by far the worst team in our ratings this year. (They may not beat Miami twice, but that's on them. At least they get the opportunity.) Just as with Cleveland, Baltimore (on the road, Week 15) is the only opponent left on the Jets' schedule that's currently above average in DVOA, although Oakland (home, Week 12) is close. A game at Washington is also probably harder than it looks at first glance, which is a road game off of Washington's bye week.

The Jets have the easiest remaining schedule of opposing defenses and the second-easiest remaining schedule of opposing offenses, behind only the Browns.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

Just now, jetskid007 said:

For those who don’t know about DVOA, it essentially rates teams based on their overall efficiency on a down to down basis. Jets had the 2nd hardest first half of the season, but will have the easiest second half by far- especially opponent defenses.

Again, this is why it’s all on Sam to overcome the disfunction of the first half of the season and put positive play on the field. Opponent DLines will ease up substantially, the OL should begin to gel a little more, he still has enough talent around him, and the play-calling has been much better of late despite poor results. If he can just go out and play to his ability, the Jets can at least get out of dumpster fire territory and play competitively to close out the season

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah, I don't feel good about this game. This feels exactly like last years Browns game.

Admittedly I feel the same way. There’s only one player on the field that I have faith in, and that’s Sam. Outside of a few plays, he had a solid game last week- despite dealing with all the distractions leading up to it. I hope he’s ready to put the team on his back this week. 

I never want to see us tanking but I know to lose to some of these tanking teams could result in a great pick plus force changes in the coaching staff. It could be Gase out or Gase makes changes to his staff. I'm not sure if I want someone like Pollack to look good against bad teams and get exposed next season when we upgrade the talent and still suck. We need the problems to stand out so they can be corrected this offseason. 

I also know if we can pull off some more wins, at least we'll become a more attractive destination for other coaches and free agents we're aiming for. I'd hate to see another top pass rusher not consider us because of the coaching and/or team record. We need to look like we're on track. 

So whatever happens, I might be cool with. Sam should look good in this game, but I'm not sure because he has to get his composure/confidence back.