Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

28 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

How far back would we have to trade back in the 2nd to pick up an extra 3rd?

It depends on how badly the other team wants the guy available at 33. But moving down a half round or more should get us a 3rd in a similar spot. We wouldn't have to drop as far for a late 3rd. 

45 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I have a hard time seeing Cordy Glenn coming back next year. 

Same. 

I also don't see the starting corners being Dre and WJIII. And I don't see the point in out and out cutting Dre. 

There are assets to be traded on this team, and it'd be dumb to just sit on them all. 

8 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Cordy Glenn will be back. The Bengals hold guys to their contracts till they are no longer needed. 

When he finally played last year, Glenn was our best olineman.  Not the worst thing in the world if he is back, as long as he is ready to go and not a malcontent.  I think that well is probably poisoned though.

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

When he finally played last year, Glenn was our best olineman.  Not the worst thing in the world if he is back, as long as he is ready to go and not a malcontent.  I think that well is probably poisoned though.

He fits the mold of a player I'd like to see brought in veteran,  flexible, but between the bad blood there and his health,  it's probably best for him to move on.

I'd rather move on from Turner. But if he's kept on staff, it seems unlikely Glenn is kept. The team wants Jonah Williams to be the LT and seems content with Hart at RT. Glenn is no doubt better than Hart and probably better than Williams. But he makes 9.5 mil per year and Jordan played ok at RG later in the year. So between the bad blood and cap hit, I think it's unlikely Glenn returns.

If it were up to me, we'd have hired Callahan as O-line coach and would cut Glenn and Hart and use the saved 12 mil for a top O-lineman in free agency. But that's not the Mike Brown way.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I'd rather move on from Turner. But if he's kept on staff, it seems unlikely Glenn is kept. The team wants Jonah Williams to be the LT and seems content with Hart at RT. Glenn is no doubt better than Hart and probably better than Williams. But he makes 9.5 mil per year and Jordan played ok at RG later in the year. So between the bad blood and cap hit, I think it's unlikely Glenn returns.

If it were up to me, we'd have hired Callahan as O-line coach and would cut Glenn and Hart and use the saved 12 mil for a top O-lineman in free agency. But that's not the Mike Brown way.

Turner actually did a good job this year, hard to fire a guy after dealing with the injuries and lack of talent,  having them playing at the level they were at the end of the season. They were not great,  but showed impressive improvement. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Turner isn't responsible for the pool O-line play due to lack of talent. But somehow Tobin gets a pass too? Do you guys just not believe anyone is accountable for their results? That's a very Mike Brown attitude.

He's just saying that everyone on staff and in the front office would have been fired already if given your druthers. Good luck trying to find competent replacements with that kind of reputation after one year.

That's some serious loser talk right there. There are only 32 NFL teams and a lot more coaches and GM candidates than that. It was time to move on from Marvin and we tried hiring a boy wonder. Instead of turning things around, he flopped massively. The proper thing to do would be to admit with the benefit of hindsight, Zac Taylor wasn't ready to be an NFL head coach and find someone who is qualified. Jim Caldwell or Rex Ryan are former coaches who want back in and have had success in the past. Either of them would be a considerable upgrade from Taylor and they have the credibility to hire good assistants.

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Turner isn't responsible for the pool O-line play due to lack of talent. But somehow Tobin gets a pass too? Do you guys just not believe anyone is accountable for their results? That's a very Mike Brown attitude.

Yeah, Tobin should have known better about Jonah Williams requiring season-ending surgery, Cordy Glenn's lingering concussion symptoms, and Clint Boling's retirement. What an idiot.

• Like 2