Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yes I do know it’s 97% unlikely. Only chance is if Burrow pulls an Eli. His dad says he won’t but it’s way to early to know. Besides the Chargers (Eli and multiple players) the only other team I could see someone refusing to play for is the Bengals. Mike Brown has been notorious for not caring about winning and selling tickets/running the Bengals purely as a business. He wants a winning product for the business to be successful and get revenue every year. But winning a title? I really don’t think he cares. Same thing in Houston with Bob McNair. He keeps Bob around because he puts out a product that sells tickets/merchandise. Even though Bob is one of the worst coaches in the league. 

Bengals OL is in shambles and Mike Brown is famous for not spending money in FA. Even with Jonah back I don’t trust that line and it could ruin Burrows career from the get go. I just don’t see Mike Brown putting Burrow in a position to succeed. 

Eh, most of what you're saying is only because the Bengals lost 14 games last year.  No one was saying this stuff in 2015.  They were praising Mike Brown for finally turning things around and building a team the right way.

The fact is that no QB being drafted in the Pick 1 slot is going to a good team.  And the fact is that for a team to be good, they need a good QB.  So we'll see what happens if Burrow is as advertised.

Also...Burrow was by far and away the best college passer last year when under pressure.  And the Bengals line was certainly not the worst in the league, even though they started some real scrubs at LT.  Burrow will be fine behind that line.

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

Eh, most of what you're saying is only because the Bengals lost 14 games last year.  No one was saying this stuff in 2015.  They were praising Mike Brown for finally turning things around and building a team the right way.

The fact is that no QB being drafted in the Pick 1 slot is going to a good team.  And the fact is that for a team to be good, they need a good QB.  So we'll see what happens if Burrow is as advertised.

Also...Burrow was by far and away the best college passer last year when under pressure.  And the Bengals line was certainly not the worst in the league, even though they started some real scrubs at LT.  Burrow will be fine behind that line.

Did you have injures during the Raider game? Our 4th Rounder got four sacks and feasted. 

And Mike Brown has been notorious for not spending money on FAs and he also kept Marvin Lewis way to long. Has nothing to do with this season. If he wanted to win a title, both of those things wouldn’t be true. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Did you have injures during the Raider game? Our 4th Rounder got four sacks and feasted. 

And Mike Brown has been notorious for not spending money on FAs and he also kept Marvin Lewis way to long. Has nothing to do with this season. If he wanted to win a title, both of those things wouldn’t be true. 

John Jerry was the starting LT that game.  And Finley was the QB.  Recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes, that was just a disaster of a game as @INbengalfan said.

Re the last comment: literally nobody complained about that when they won 12 games in 2015.  If they win 12 games this year, the same thing will happen.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

@BayRaider Just to add onto this, Burrow will make the line look much better than it is. Unlike Dalton, he has the ability to make plays under pressure, escape collapsing pockets, avoid rushers, and keep the play going off script. Same thing with Watson in Houston. It takes pressure off the OL and keeps the offense rolling.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I heard Joe Goodberry talk about how Burrow was actually pressured on a higher percentage of drop backs than Dalton was.  I'm sure some of that was a function of them holding the ball longer, but it was still a fun stat.

What most people don't realize is that pressures and sacks are partially owned by the QB too.  It's lazy analysis to look at sacks and pressures and call a line bad.

Is the Bengals line bad?  yes, no doubt.  But can Burrow hide some of that with his pocket presence?  Yes.  

I'm not concerned about the line, particularly if they manage to replace 1 or 2 starters.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

What most people don't realize is that pressures and sacks are partially owned by the QB too.  It's lazy analysis to look at sacks and pressures and call a line bad.

Is the Bengals line bad?  yes, no doubt.  But can Burrow hide some of that with his pocket presence?  Yes.  

I'm not concerned about the line, particularly if they manage to replace 1 or 2 starters.

My dreams of Mekhai Becton at 33 for RT seem to already be gone.  Saw someone put him in the top 10 yesterday.  A national guy

Edited by THE DUKE

I don’t know why everyone says player X should refuse to play for this team because they’re bad. How was Indy before Peyton? How was NE before Brady? How was Denver before Elway? Miami before and since Marino? If a guy can is truly elite, he shouldn’t run from a challenge. He should want to be the reason that team has a history. Sure the Bengals have largely been bad my entire life. But we have won before. We can win again. 

Indy, NE, Denver, and Miami played in the Superbowl or conference championship games a decade or less before the QBs mentioned arrived.  Cincinnati can't say that. The Bengals can certainly win again, just not in Mike Brown's lifetime (or control of the team). 

57 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Indy, NE, Denver, and Miami played in the Superbowl or conference championship games a decade or less before the QBs mentioned arrived.  Cincinnati can't say that. The Bengals can certainly win again, just not in Mike Brown's lifetime (or control of the team). 

The reality is Mike Brown is 84 years old. He’s not gonna have much time left 

tenor.gif?itemid=16068039Too soon for the nickname “Smokin Joe” Burrow?

other options include:

Joe “White Claw” Burrow

Tiger Joe

The Louisiana Luger

The Prodigal Son

Skyline Joe

The Queen City’s King

Joey “BigDik” Burrow

Neo 

Backshoulder Burrow

9-Lives (since he always escapes bad situations, # 9, plays for a cat like team)

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

My dreams of Mekhai Becton at 33 for RT seem to already be gone.  Saw someone put him in the top 10 yesterday.  A national guy

I just ran this one.  Hope it makes you feel better! 

1 Joe Burrow, QB
33 Mekhi Becton, OT
65 Thaddeus Moss, TE
97 Devin Duvernay, WR
129 Jordan Fuller, S
160 Justin Strnad, LB
192 Calvin Throckmorton, OT