Midseason NFL Awards

Chargers

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't get triggered,  but Jimmy G might get it. Not necessarily due to having a better season as a QB than Kupp is as a receiver, because he isn't. However, since he plays QB, and is on a team that may pile up a huge win total he's probably going to be in the conversation. 

Jimmy G could win it if the stats get better. The wins will certainly help though. Like right now his stats arent even remotely off the charts. The Niners dont even ask Jimmy G to throw alot and when he does he turns the ball over. If he plays like he did on TNF then yeah I can see him having a very strong chance of winning. I think Kupp right now has all the momentum because if you look at the Rams offense you can make a case that nothing has gone right for them except for Kupp. You cant say that about Jimmy G in the Niners offense except for the TNF game where he had to play great for the Niners to win because the defense struggled and the running game wasnt there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The OROY is going to be the QB who has won OROW 6 times in 8 weeks, Gardner Minshew.

Maybe, but Baker won 7 and Barkley won 1 last year. Baker also had a rookie of the month and Barkley didn't.

That said, a RB probably has to win the rushing title or come really close or have a 2000 yard total offense year to win over a valid QB candidate. Nick Chubb had more rookie of the week wins than Barkley and a better ypc and wasn't even in consideration for OROY. Obviously it helps to be in a big market or to be a big name college guy which isn't working for Minshaw or Jacobs really so who knows. Maybe Daniel Jones wins it just because New York or Murray because of college hype.

Edited by Thomas5737

30 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

No..but what is your definition of a casual fan? If they aren't even aware of Josh Jacobs..then what are they even aware of is kinda my point 

Barkley was the 2nd overall pick. Jacobs was the 24th, without the hype train. Barkley was the guy ESPN wouldn't stop talking about leading up to the draft.

I can easily see a casual fan aware of Barkley, but not Jacobs. There have always been plenty of players that have received accolades and praise based on hype regardless if their play warrants the recognition. The Pro Bowl, largely voted on by fans, a lot who are casually invested, is a good example of this. The reverse works the same with players getting left in the dark even if they play their butt off. If Jacobs is left on the cutting room floor despite a great year, he won't be the first, nor last to fall victim to this dynamic. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Barkley was the 2nd overall pick. Jacobs was the 24th, without the hype train. Barkley was the guy ESPN wouldn't stop talking about leading up to the draft.

I can easily see a casual fan aware of Barkley, but not Jacobs. There have always been plenty of players that have received accolades and praise based on hype regardless if their play warrants the recognition. The Pro Bowl, largely voted on by fans, a lot who are casually invested, is a good example of this. The reverse works the same with players getting left in the dark even if they play their butt off. If Jacobs is left on the cutting room floor despite a great year, he won't be the first, nor last to fall victim to this dynamic. 

To be fair to Jacobs, outside Zeke I can't think of many RB's that have reached Saquan's Hype level. There is still a lot of football left to be played and the raiders are still very much in the thick of it. The Oakland Raiders aren't just a throwaway brand, I feel like as of late Jacobs has indeed gained some attention around him.

He shouldn't be an unknown talk or commodity by the end of the season even among casual circles. Then I'd start questioning the credibility of the NFL to market it's own players which I have already started doing to be fair. 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

5 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

To be fair to Jacobs, outside Zeke I can't think of many RB's that have reached Saquan's Hype level. There is still a lot of football left to be played and the raiders are still very much in the thick of it. The Oakland Raiders aren't just a throwaway brand, I feel like as of late Jacobs has indeed gained some attention around him.

He shouldn't be an unknown talk or commodity by the end of the season even among casual circles. Then I'd start questioning the credibility of the NFL to market it's own players which I have already started doing to be fair. 

70% of those who tune into NFL and makers of their ratings don’t know who Josh Jacobs is. You are giving the “casual” fan way too much credit. Why do you think we are all on this forum?

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

70% of those who tune into NFL and makers of their ratings don’t know who Josh Jacobs is. You are giving the “casual” fan way too much credit. Why do you think we are all on this forum?

Josh Jacobs is the starting RB for the Raiders. If you don't even know that how can you call yourself even remotely interested in the NFL or to even deem yourself one.

Those people aren't casual fans , they just aren't fans.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Just now, canadaluvsdallas said:

Josh Jacobs is the starting RB for the Raiders. If you dont even know that how can you call yourself even remotely interested in the NFL or to even deem yourself one.

Those people aren't casual fans , they just aren't fans.

They make up the ratings. They are fans. 70% of fans are like that, trust me. Those ones that seem dumb and can only name the QB and one other star player on opposing teams, those are most fans and dominate the ratings. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They make up the ratings. They are fans. 70% of fans are like that, trust me. Those ones that seem dumb and can only name the QB and one other star player on opposing teams, those are most fans and dominate the ratings. 

Most guys that I talk football in passing with might not be diehard fans, but they have a pretty good knowledge of skill position players because of fantasy football. Where Jacobs was drafted rather highly coming into the year. The good production only helps that. Plus he and his story was featured a decent amount during draft coverage because he was the top RB prospect, and he also played at the most covered college in America, and he also had a big SEC championship game and that highlight play in the playoffs where he bulldozed the Oklahoma DB. I think even the casual fan has some idea who he is. Especially in comparison to Minshew who has been a big story but also plays in Jacksonville and isnt leading them to a bunch of wins. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Most guys that I talk football in passing with might not be diehard fans, but they have a pretty good knowledge of skill position players because of fantasy football. Where Jacobs was drafted rather highly coming into the year. The good production only helps that. Plus he and his story was featured a decent amount during draft coverage because he was the top RB prospect, and he also played at the most covered college in America, and he also had a big SEC championship game and that highlight play in the playoffs where he bulldozed the Oklahoma DB. I think even the casual fan has some idea who he is. Especially in comparison to Minshew who has been a big story but also plays in Jacksonville and isnt leading them to a bunch of wins. 

Most people you “talk to”. 70% of sports fans that make up the ratings can’t even start a football conversation.