Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

5 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Live with our poor decisions? We don’t have the window to do that. We need to win now. If Freddie isn’t the right guy move on. Don’t f around like we did with hue

I'd rather not witness us hire the new shiny coordinator with no Head Coaching prowess just to make the same mistake again.. and again..and again... it's insanity... when does it end..

I've had enough of the groundhog day...

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Good head coaches aren’t available 

this is always the craziest thing I don’t get. 

You can’t hire head coaches with previous success not named Mike McCarthy because they don’t lose their jobs. 

Andy Reid doesn’t happen that’s a once in 100 year thing  

and even then the eagles eventually do when a SuperBowl after hiring a coordinator. 

I want Stefanski I love his mentality and his offense. 

I've made the point multiple times on where coaching searches have to go to get head coaches with previous success....

On 11/4/2019 at 10:50 PM, Mind Character said:

The Coach is the culture setter and visionary. That person needs to be a builder, elite teacher, and programmatic learning designer/administrator, and lead teacher.

We need an elite Program/Culture leader Head Coach.

The best ones in the football landscape are in college football due to the numbers of college programs. In the NFL, such coaches are few and far between due to a limited amount of positions and scarcity, as well as lack of a Head Coach training program for young coaches due to staff turnover.

We just need a better coach and not some hot name coordinator.

Why Stefanski?? I mean really. He was my favorite out of the last coaching search but what qualities does he have to be an elite Head Coach?

Can Stefanski effectively lead an organization, can he inspire next level commitment from players of various backgrounds and personalities, lead and coach coaches, is he detailed and organized, is he a constant learner, is he a master teacher, can he design/lead a program that effectively trains habits of thought and behavior?

If so, cool then I'm down to consider hiring him; however, I don't give a damn about his "Offense"  ... we have to stop thinking that a coordinator is a good Head Coach candidate because of the offensive success when success at the Head Coaching position requires different skillset.

15 hours ago, Mind Character said:

we have to stop thinking that a coordinator is a good Head Coach candidate because of the offensive success when success at the Head Coaching position requires different skillset.

I completely agree with this.

This honestly is why I liked Dave Taub as the head coach.

He can bring in OC and DC to be successful, but I like him as a leader of men and a situational decision maker.

Every time he talks hes able to talk intelligently on the game situations.

Big fan of hiring special teams coordinators.  I think they are more set up to be head coaches than OC or DC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

I completely agree with this.

This honestly is why I liked Dave Taub as the head coach.

He can bring in OC and DC to be successful, but I like him as a leader of men and a situational decision maker.

Every time he talks hes able to talk intelligently on the game situations.

Big fan of hiring special teams coordinators.  I think they are more set up to be head coaches than OC or DC

Taub probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't hate it either.

That's the problem if we do fire Freddie. Besides maybe Lincoln Riley, who still wouldn't be a sure thing, I don't think there's a HC candidate who would be a home run hire.

If we couldn't get Riley, I'd probably try to hire McCarthy. The end of his tenure with Green Bay was uninspiring, but he did a great job at helping Rogers develop and was their head coach for many great seasons. Like Andy Reid in Philadelphia, sometimes a change is just needed for both the team and the HC, but that doesn't mean that the HC is a bad coach.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Taub probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't hate it either.

That's the problem if we do fire Freddie. Besides maybe Lincoln Riley, who still wouldn't be a sure thing, I don't think there's a HC candidate who would be a home run hire.

If we couldn't get Riley, I'd probably try to hire McCarthy. The end of his tenure with Green Bay was uninspiring, but he did a great job at helping Rogers develop and was their head coach for many great seasons. Like Andy Reid in Philadelphia, sometimes a change is just needed for both the team and the HC, but that doesn't mean that the HC is a bad coach.

Understandable, but even Riley is far from a sure thing.  He has never coached at this level.

McCarthey is uninspiring in general.  I never liked his play calling.  I don't know that I wan't more of passing when we should run...

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

If there’s a home run hire (Riley, Dabo, etc) I think you consider it obviously.

That said, I can’t see any of those type of dudes coming here.

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I mean, maybe, yeah, but his offense looked dated as hell the last few seasons with arguably the goat as far pure passing ability/arm talent.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If there’s a home run hire (Riley, Dabo, etc) I think you consider it obviously.

That said, I can’t see any of those type of dudes coming here.

I mean, maybe, yeah, but his offense looked dated as hell the last few seasons with arguably the goat as far pure passing ability/arm talent.

I think he has just been overwhelmed, but I have a hard time cutting Freddie after 1 season or less.

I don't have a hard time taking play-calling away from him however.

Not having a play ready.

stupid decisions like not letting the clock run at the end of the half.

Going for it on 4th and 9.

NOT going for it on 4th and 11 but then getting a penalty and going for it on 4th and 16....

For Freddie to be successful he needs to be involved in less.  I would get a good OC to call the plays and let Freddie be the head coach.

The reason we brought him on as HC is originally because of his play-calling, no one knows where that dude went, but hes not here anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I think he has just been overwhelmed, but I have a hard time cutting Freddie after 1 season or less.

I don't have a hard time taking play-calling away from him however.

Not having a play ready.

stupid decisions like not letting the clock run at the end of the half.

Going for it on 4th and 9.

NOT going for it on 4th and 11 but then getting a penalty and going for it on 4th and 16....

For Freddie to be successful he needs to be involved in less.  I would get a good OC to call the plays and let Freddie be the head coach.

The reason we brought him on as HC is originally because of his play-calling, no one knows where that dude went, but hes not here anymore.

Yeah I think it’s a lot to expect out of any coach, no matter their experience level.  Add to that the fact he’s only coordinated for half a season before this and now has a whole new role as well and it’s easy to see a steep learning curve.

I’m firmly in the wait and see camp.

If he’s able to get things rolling offensively, cool, had some growing pains and has moved past them. Continuity is your friend at this point.

If not, it’s either going to cost him his play calling duties or his job, depending on how things go.

I just feel like we haven't done anything different this year up until last week. We have no wrinkles in our offense. We don't go with tempo to get vanilla looks. We don't smash Chubb enough. We don't roll Baker out of the pocket.

Maybe those things aren't typically a part of your ideal offense, but when you're struggling offensively, you have to try something else. If we don't at least reinvent ourselves offensively over the next few weeks, Kitchens is a goner.

Give me Lincoln Riley or give me a seasoned veteran coach. Those are my two ideal candidates.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I think it’s a lot to expect out of any coach, no matter their experience level.  Add to that the fact he’s only coordinated for half a season before this and now has a whole new role as well and it’s easy to see a steep learning curve.

I’m firmly in the wait and see camp.

If he’s able to get things rolling offensively, cool, had some growing pains and has moved past them. Continuity is your friend at this point.

If not, it’s either going to cost him his play calling duties or his job, depending on how things go.

Agreed.  We NEED to be consistent.  Obviously there is a worry that keeping guys who aren't succeeding with as much talent as we have is wasting the few years that we have that talent. 

That being said the reason we have been so bad for so long is because we don't let anyone stay and improve with the team.

Honestly I know its a cop out answer, but I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision...

56 minutes ago, DawgX said:

God no not McCarthy. He’s Jeff Fisher if Jeff Fisher had an all time great QB carrying him. I’d take jim Caldwell over McCarthy. 

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I just feel like we haven't done anything different this year up until last week. We have no wrinkles in our offense. We don't go with tempo to get vanilla looks. We don't smash Chubb enough. We don't roll Baker out of the pocket.

Maybe those things aren't typically a part of your ideal offense, but when you're struggling offensively, you have to try something else. If we don't at least reinvent ourselves offensively over the next few weeks, Kitchens is a goner.

Give me Lincoln Riley or give me a seasoned veteran coach. Those are my two ideal candidates.

Yeah the creativity of the offense has been BAD.  We have too many good players not to get creative and have some fun.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah the creativity of the offense has been BAD.  We have too many good players not to get creative and have some fun.

I really wish I knew what changed between the second half of last year and the first half of this year...

It seems like all that creativity is gone.  Granted I REALLY liked what I saw with the 2 backs in the last game, but we just have been in a rut.