Team Building the FUTURE is now!

thebestever6

10 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

A rookie QB's best friend is a talented team. This idea that there is a single, specific position that can make or break a rookie QB's career is bananas.

Two things make a good young QB.

1) Talent

2) Talent around him

That's such a generic answer though. An I'm not saying a specific position lol I'm saying an elite ground game. You do the math in what goes into that.

I know the successful organizations know the formula. 

1) Pat's- Michel, Damian Harris always have a beastly oline.

2) Eagles - Goedert, Top 5 oline, top 3 te group.

Howard rd6 Sanders rd 2.

3) Niners the money they invested into the rbs plus rd 2 pick on Jimmy g, and the draft capital investment into trench play the last couple of years.

4) Raiders - invest in the oline and te group, draft Jacob's round 1 and playoff team? Possibly?

5) Seattle- Line play the last couple of years, 1st on Penny, 7th On the steal they got in Chris Carson. All the tes they've aquired.

I know DK Metcalf is a cap piece but that run game opens everything up for him.

Only stopping bc my fingers hurt...m

Dallas

Edited by thebestever6

32 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

We’re not good enough to not draft BPA - but in the early rounds if BPA happens to be RB, TE, OLB, or S we need to be REALLY sure the value justifies the investment. 

Smartest thing you've said today ! And rookie contracts when you go BPA you wanna decent bet the guy will be worth his rookie deal post round 1.

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

That's such a generic answer though. An I'm not saying a specific position lol I'm saying an elite ground game. You do the math in what goes into that.

I know the successful organizations know the formula. 

1) Pat's- Michel, Damian Harris always have a beastly oline.

2) Eagles - Goedert, Top 5 oline, top 3 te group.

Howard rd6 Sanders rd 2.

3) Niners the money they invested into the rbs plus rd 2 pick on Jimmy g, and the draft capital investment into trench play the last couple of years.

4) Raiders - invest in the oline and te group, draft Jacob's round 1 and playoff team? Possibly?

5) Seattle- Line play the last couple of years, 1st on Penny, 7th On the steal they got in Chris Carson. All the tes they've aquired.

I know DK Metcalf is a cap piece but that run game opens everything up for him.

Only stopping bc my fingers hurt...m

Dallas

What elite ground game ?

When your  OL is good your RB is always good.

Olandis GARY 1999=1159 yds

Mike ANDERSON 2000=1487 yds

Clinton PORTIS 2002=1508 yds

Clinton PORTIS 2003=1591 yds

Reuben DROUGHNS 2004= 1240 yds

Mike ANDERSON 2005 = 1014 yds

Tatum BELL 2006= 1025 yds

Edited by French Fan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, French Fan said:

What elite ground game ?

When your  OL is good your RB is always good.

Olandis GARY 1999=1159 yds

Mike ANDERSON 2000=1487 yds

Clinton PORTIS 2002=1508 yds

Clinton PORTIS 2003=1591 yds

Reuben DROUGHNS 2004= 1240 yds

Mike ANDERSON 2005 = 1014 yds

Tatum BELL 2006= 1025 yds

Clinton Portis and Tatum Bell were second round picks you're absolutely right but lets not act like those men were chopped liver talent wise.

Also didn't Mike Anderson drop in his draft due to being on the older side?

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Clinton Portis and Tatum Bell were second round picks you're absolutely right but lets not act like those men were chopped liver talent wise.

Also didn't Mike Anderson drop in his draft due to being on the older side?

Anderson was drafted in 2000 at 26 years old !

Portis was a great RB but after Denver Tatum Bell was never the same at Detroit when he was traded in 2007 one year after his 1000 yds. And in 2008 Detroit running back Rudi Johnson said Wednesday that the player who was waived to make room for him on the Lions' roster -- Tatum Bell -- took his luggage from team headquarters. His career was over.

A Rb is a product of his OL. When your OL is good your RB seems good . I have no problem to sticking with Lindsay/Freeman even Booker as emergency. The TOP priority is ILB and OT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

Anderson was drafted in 2000 at 26 years old !

Portis was a great RB but after Denver Tatum Bell was never the same at Detroit when he was traded in 2007 one year after his 1000 yds. And in 2008 Detroit running back Rudi Johnson said Wednesday that the player who was waived to make room for him on the Lions' roster -- Tatum Bell -- took his luggage from team headquarters. His career was over.

A Rb is a product of his OL. When your OL is good your RB seems good . I have no problem to sticking with Lindsay/Freeman even Booker as emergency. The TOP priority is ILB and OT

True story. I bought my first cell phone from Tatum Bell when he was working at the T-mobile store.

18 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

We’re not good enough to not draft BPA - but in the early rounds if BPA happens to be RB, TE, OLB, or S we need to be REALLY sure the value justifies the investment. 

BPA is very unlikely to be those positions Rd1.   At Rd2 the gap is going to be so small (unless someone drops insanely) that it’s not likely to be enough to justify it.

Overall BPA principle works to ensure teams don’t pass on significantly better talent players.  Like taking a 80 grade player instead of 90 due to need.   But taking a 82 guy at WR/ILB over a 84 guy at RB/S?   Absolutely justifiable.  The difference in talent has to be significant.  Arguing BPA means the talent difference is not just a guy at the top of the list but a guy who’s in a different tier of talent.  Those are far easier arguments on Day 1.  On Day 2 it’s usually the reverse - taking a mediocre top 50-75 guy Rd2 out of pure need.  

The other part about Day 2 drafting though is the talent pool at each spot.    You can justify getting a 80 grade ILB/WR over a 83 grade RB Rd2 if in Rd3-4 you have a 75+ RB, and 50-60 grade players at WR/ILB by waiting.   Positional depth really factors into Day 2 when the talent differences aren’t nearly as high.  

It’s why the idea of taking the top guy off your big board isn’t an absolute if the 3-4 guys at the top are so clustered the difference is negligible - or the top guy on the board is followed by a talent pool so deep at that position waiting 1-2 rounds gets you a talent that’s only marginally lower.   It’s the sound argument to waiting on RB Rd3-4.   And I say all of that as a huge BPA proponent. But BPA implies the difference matters.   That isn’t always the case.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2