The Myles Garrett incident

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'll push back ever so slightly on the "chose" part. In these situations, its fight or flight and Level 1 thinking takes over.
Its part of what preserves our lives and it does not involve thinking or choosing, just reacting.
A kick to the gonads releases neurotransmitters and immediately alerts the brain to the serious threat.

That's not to excuse anything that happened, but its a little off to suggest there was any "choosing" or "thinking" going on in that melee.
If there was, it probably wouldn't have happened. The adrenaline was flowing and the amygdala was calling the shots at that point

And then we sit behind our keyboards and try to make sense of it all with Level II thinking and no threat to our safety.
Again, not excusing anything -  I'm just trying to offer a little insight on the "why" part

I disagree strongly with this.  This was not just a reaction.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

He’s not getting off light.

Mike Evans laid almost an identical hit (worse maybe) on Marshon Lattimore and got one game as well. 

1 game is the standard

I definitely agree.  I think I said before the suspension came down that it should be 1 game.  But the hitting then running is kinda funny.

An “indefinite” suspension for Garrett, which is likely lifted a either prior to or just a game or two into the 2020 season is entirely appropriate. I probably only would have given Pouncey a game, 2 at most, but I won’t quibble with three. He was defending a teammate after an abhorrent act, yes, but he still kicked and punched a guy who was on the ground. 

I don’t say this often, but the NFL got this right. 

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I disagree strongly with this.  This was not just a reaction.  

Agreed.  I've heard the "blackout" defense get thrown around quite a bit today.  And I don't know, I just ain't buying it TBH.  It feels to me like "temporary insanity" argument.  Like you are still in control.  That was a choice to keep ahold of the helmet like a weapon then to use it that way.

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I don’t ever watch hockey. Is this how people respond to fights in hockey or when someone purposely gets whacked across the face with a stick?

Yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi–Steve_Moore_incident

In fact there was a criminal trial too for assault.

EDIT:

Actually 2 times -

https://thenhl.fandom.com/wiki/The_Donald_Brashear-Marty_McSorley_Incident

Edited by warfelg

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

I don’t ever watch hockey. Is this how people respond to fights in hockey or when someone purposely gets whacked across the face with a stick?

The fights in hockey?  No.  If someone purposely hits someone in the face with a stick?  Yes.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Agreed.  I've heard the "blackout" defense get thrown around quite a bit today.  And I don't know, I just ain't buying it TBH.  It feels to me like "temporary insanity" argument.  Like you are still in control.  That was a choice to keep ahold of the helmet like a weapon then to use it that way.

I'd buy it more for Pouncey than Garrett.  

• Like 1