Weekly Bets Thread

BStanRamFan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah I saw that, but here's the thing - every one of those picks was a team that was so bad they earned the final pick, or they were bad enough to be close enough to trade up.     Chicago fell into 1.1 - and their D is top 10, the OL play has really improved, and we know the skill position upgrades they got outside of QB.

When looking at trends, 3 Q's apply:

-Is there enough of a sample size?   In football terms, that's not a bad one at all.

-Is there an explanation beyond random chance?   I think the explanation above is hard to dispute, so let's go yes.

-Does the same explanation apply to my case here?   That's the rub.   CHI isn't close to the group of past 1.1 teams here.

Teams that qualify for 1.1 usually are so bad, the 1.1 pick is far from good enough to make a difference in year 1, let alone Week 1.   In CHI's case though, Caleb doesn't even need to be a savior yet - he just needs to be functional enough to make the league-average plays for CHI to cover this week, and succeed in general. 

The final part to the equation - TEN's O is also on a new system / HC / OC.   Against CHI's D, that's a massive problem.  

CHI at 1.1 is a unicorn situation - QB was a massive reason they finished at the 10 spot.   Their OL play was actually OK, and their D was excellent.   QB really killed them last year (and lack of WR skill outside of Moore didn't help, but mostly it was on the QB).    Given CHI filled their 2 biggest holes in a big way,  I don't mind standing against the trend here, given I don't see CHI as nearly the same as any of the 1.1 teams before.

I made the exact same argument when my friend mentioned it to me. Chicago is far from the typically awful #1 overall pick having team

• Like 2

Ja’Tavion Sanders currently +650 to score.

EDIT: Ian Thomas already ruled out. Tremble dealing with back/hamstring issues. Potential for both to miss week 1.

EDIT2: Tremble missed practice again Thursday. Availability for Sunday now in doubt.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on GB/PHI tomorrow? I have some money on GB ML.

@N4L @Broncofan

I lean that way as well.   The key to a PHI win is how their DL plays vs. GB’s excellent OL.   Because the GB WR are a problem for PHI secondary.     Gettinh pressure on Love is the easiest way to negate that.    GB’s OL is really good though.    Why I think Love will thrive.  

PHI’s stud WR should never be discounted and I think we’re going to see Saquon Barkley have a ton of success with that OL.    But Kelce retirement and more reads now on Jalen Hurts, that gives me pause.    

Continuity-wise PHI is the team with a new system and OC/DC.    Kelce’s retirement is really big.    So I do lean GB ML.  

Added 2 plays to Watson rec yds & Love TD plays tonight:  

GB ML +110 2U - reasons given above. 

Saquon Barkley o16.5 rec yds 2U - the 25+ yard alt line isn’t being offered on FD and DK/Bodog’s aren’t great.    If you can get 25+ in the +200 range on B365 it’s worth it IMO.    

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Added 2 plays to Watson rec yds & Love TD plays tonight:  

GB ML +110 2U - reasons given above. 

Saquon Barkley o16.5 rec yds 2U - the 25+ yard alt line isn’t being offered on FD and DK/Bodog’s aren’t great.    If you can get 25+ in the +200 range on B365 it’s worth it IMO.    

+160 barkley I'll pass.