Week 13 SNF: Pats @ THE Houston Texans

HoboRocket

Epic game coming up on Sunday, between Tom Brady and his deflated arm and Deshaun Watson and the BOmB Squad!

The biggest bomb on the field is, of course, Nuk the bomb, who will have some snaps up against lock-down corner Stephon Gilmore, who is currently championing the Pats' No Fly Zone. The Texans are also armed with a supersonic cruise missile in Will Fuller V, a player that is coming off about as impressive of a game as you could imagine. Don't forget the Texans' own package of C4 in Carlos Hyde, who is rejuvenated this season, and aside from two bad games, is averaging 5.2 yards per carry on the season. Even if you factor in those two games, he's averaging 4.8 yards per carry and this Patriots defense has been gashed against the run at times this season. And we can't forget the man who holds the launch codes, Deshaun Watson, the franchise QB himself. Finally, the Texans have an array of other weapons in their arsenal in runningback Duke Johnson, WR Kenny Stills, TE Darren Fells, a few more young TEs in Akins and Thomas, and potentially WR Keke Coutee.

Now, this is a Texans team that has dealt with its share of injuries in recent weeks with Will Fuller only just getting healthy, Keke Coutee inactive last week, as well as Bradley Roby, Justin Reid, and Lonnie Johnson. Hopefully at least one of the DBs will be good to go against the Pats to take advantage.

I'm absolutely hyped. What about you?

• Like 1

Wondering if they’ll line Gilmore up against Fuller, then double Hop. If so, Stills could have a day. I think we match up really well. 

The Pats O is borderline terrible. OL sucks, which isn’t helping Brady. Their WR’s are all possession guys, with no down the field threat, and their run game is decent, but nothing we can’t handle.

Looking for Deshaun to put on an MVP performance and get the dub, 27-21.

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Don’t do it guy!!! Don’t believe we can win this game! We will be out coached from the get go. The Pats D will be 3 steps ahead of us. The offense will nickel and dime our secondary to death. 

this is a 27-13 loss for us. Don’t do this to yourselves. 

We had them last time till we left to much time on the clock for Brady 

• Like 1

They have a deep secondary, that's for sure. It'll be very hard for us to establish the pass. But I think the blueprint is there for BOB. We have two good backs and the Pats keep giving up good rushing efficiency. And then, if they blitz against the run, that's where having a mobile QB with a trio of viable receivers is a huge advantage. As far as the defense goes, we match up really well. We have a few good pass rushers and Brady this year hasn't been Brady. He's looked... shaken when he faces the blitz.  Bucky Brooks wrote that Brady is rated like 27th against the blitz this year. We could just blitz the heck out of them. I'd take a few "big" plays from Edelman and Sanu over allowing rushing yardage and giving Brady time in the pocket.

• Like 1

I've heard this story so many times. The Texans will beat the Patriots THIS season because... and every time, the Texans lose. This goes back to the Kubiak days, even in years we have been in the best possible position to win... we lose.

I'm not expecting much different against a 10-1 Patriots team. 

This is a scary game for us. The Pats have 37 sacks on the season and we will be vastly out coached. They could pile on 6-8 sacks. 

they also nearly double up the nearest team in turnovers with +19

they only allow 158 yards passing per game and 98 yards rushing. 

basically you can’t do anything on their D. Which means you have to hit big chunk plays and be perfect with turnovers to have a chance. 

Only the Ravens have done anything on them offensively. Even in that game Jackson was largely held in check. 163 yards passing and a 3.2 rushing average though he did throw for 1 and ran for 2. 
mark ingram found success rushing for 115 yards but 53 came on one busted play. They also only sacked Jackson 1 time for a 1 yard loss. The ravens scored on defense as well. 

basically if you are going to beat the patriots you have to take what you can get and play close to perfect. 

This is one of those games I think we'll be able to call within the first 5 minutes.  If the Texans come out flat, run twice into brick walls, then Watson gets antsy and runs himself into a sack we're doomed.  I recommend the Texans go over to Rice Stadium and pretend to play their usual first quarter, then show up at 7p with a sense of urgency as we aren't coming from behind against this team.  Come out with some creative looks, get Stills and TE's involved early, throw to Duke, we've got a shot.  From there, we can actually run the ball which to me is absolutely critical.  Fuller isn't going to run wide open like he did against the Colts and you know Gilmore isn't going to fall asleep or count on safety support on Nuk like the Colts did.  For god's sake, don't bother with the stupid fake jet sweep look and Belichick's defense NEVER falls for fakes and gadget plays are always punished.

This Pats offense shouldn't scare anyone as they are devoid of playmakers, have an obvious weak link with Newhouse at LT, and Michel just gets what the defense gives him which is usually just volume while protecting leads the defense gave them.  The Pats seemingly find new ways to beat us every time (Gronk, Cooks, D. Lewis, Brissett/Blount, Bolden etc) but this season's MO seems to be, let the other guy beat themselves.  The one team that just boldy took their game to the Pats was the Ravens who let their QB make plays with his feet and ran the ball down their throats.  When under the gun it was the Pats who made mistakes including special teams. 

That being said, I feel better about this game than I did about the Ravens or playing the Pats in Foxboro.  If O'Brien and the guys come out loose and play relatively mistake free, I think we have our best shot since the Brissett game.  If we do stupid stuff like Carter fumbling (have felt an awful one coming for weeks now), or Watson forcing balls deep instead of patiently working underneath, NRG will turn on this team fast.  I don't anticipate us doing much to disrupt Brady as Scarlett is the only one sniffing the QB these days and the Colts and Ravens have exposed our run defense.  Losing Cole is a much bigger loss than most anticipate as it means McKinney or Kalambayi will be out there covering RBs and if I'm McDaniels this is the game where the trinity of Michel, White, Burkhead do 75% of the damage with Edelman good for the rest.  My gut says O'Brien/O'Brien's and we lose 28-24, but my heart says Texans win 24-17.   

Well aren't we lucky that for some reason we've established the rush this season and Bill LOVES to rush it in stupid situations.

The Patriots are looking ridiculously bad against the rush, we're lucky to have a mobile QB who is durable (yeah, I said it, Watson takes so many hits and still stands up, it counts as durable in my book) because sure they have Gilmore but we have Houdini who can scramble out of the pocket, and Hyde who can bulldoze himself over their petty-looking d-line.