Glass is half full

Golfman

7 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Our best hope is that this blowout loss (and the one to the Chargers) are somehow products of having a first-year head coach. That could be part of it, but the Packers sure looked like they were outclassed in terms of talent. The 49ers have been sucking for years and stockpiling high draft picks, and it showed. Our offensive line couldn't handle their front seven even before Bulaga went down. The Packer defense kept them in the game for awhile before the dam broke just before halftime. 

In the end, this was a lot worse than the loss to the Chargers. I could understand them getting surprised by a Charger team that is very up-and-down but can be quite good at times. The 49ers are a lot better than the Chargers, but the Packers were coming off a bye week and had no excuse not to be ready for them. While I think the offensive line was the biggest problem, one would hope for the coaches to be able to work around it to some extent with quick-hitting plays and for Aaron Rodgers to be able to make a couple of great plays to inspire his teammates, none of which happened. 

Right now it's clear that the Ravens and Patriots are the dominant teams in the AFC, and the 49ers and Seahawks are the dominant teams in the NFC, with the Vikings and Saints having a chance to get into that conversation. The Packers are in that next tier, along with the Cowboys and Rams. 

they should have a record closer to the Cowboys and Rams so i agree with you on those tiers. 

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Agreed.  His confidence in the OL in that game showed, and he was seeing things unfolding before him.  Intense pass rush and pressure disrupts his confidence, trust, and focus, and he’s unable to slow all the moving parts down enough to make the right decisions.

Totally agree.  He's been hit and hurt often the past couple of years and getting older doesn't help the aches and pains.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I've been using it for a year and a half now

Kind of sad really how your thought process on Rodgers has "ate you up".  You can't seem to just relax and enjoy things as they are.  Everybody has their thoughts about what can and can't be done, how things should and shouldn't be.  However, your dislike of Rodgers is over the top.   We get he isn't playing like he used to and for whatever reason can't "see the forest from the trees" in adapting to dumping off his throws, holding onto the ball to long, not hitting certain receivers.  To actually insinuate he's a coward for not wanting to get hurt is simply put ... goofy.  A little bit chicken, getting softer, etc maybe the correct thought process.  Coward, sorry my friend ... way overboard.   

Edited by coachbuns

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There were a half dozen plays last night that had open receivers over the middle.

Although I didnt see them during the game - the followup analysis has indicated openings were there. The way I've been voicing myself is: "Throw the damn ball!"
Not as exact or analytical as some others - but the intent / meaning is the same.

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How do you conclude this is a LaFleur issue? This is every but as obvious a Rodgers issue as the playclock.

Well....in one world.....a HC recognizes an issue or problem and gets the player to address it for the betterment of the team.
We've been down this road before "discussion-wise" and you cited AR's veteran status and contract certainty to point out MLF's got no shot to change him.
Probably so....although I congratulate you on how you related it: the waffles matter. Got a good laugh yesterday when I read it and was still good today when I typed it.

However, we cant be an offense relegated to compressing everything between the hash marks and sideline. They call them seam and post patterns for a reason and far as I can tell, they work when properly executed. Hell - Edelman and Brady LIVE off the short in's. Short, quick, easy, beyond the LOS as opposed to some "sideways" completions - then Edelman run's like hell.

43 minutes ago, Leader said:

Although I didnt see them during the game - the followup analysis has indicated openings were there. The way I've been voicing myself is: "Throw the damn ball!"
Not as exact or analytical as some others - but the intent / meaning is the same.

Well....in one world.....a HC recognizes an issue or problem and gets the player to address it for the betterment of the team.
We've been down this road before "discussion-wise" and you cited AR's veteran status and contract certainty to point out MLF's got no shot to change him.
Probably so....although I congratulate you on how you related it: the waffles matter. Got a good laugh yesterday when I read it and was still good today when I typed it.

However, we cant be an offense relegated to compressing everything between the hash marks and sideline. They call them seam and post patterns for a reason and far as I can tell, they work when properly executed. Hell - Edelman and Brady LIVE off the short in's. Short, quick, easy, beyond the LOS as opposed to some "sideways" completions - then Edelman run's like hell.

Our QB will not throw short ins. He'll take a sack first.

If we ran one more short out, I was going to have to buy the bar a new TV. That is all we ran.

Have you seen that throw chart? That's the throw chart of a sophomore highschool QB playing in his first varsity game.

The 49ers dared us to beat their DBs all damn night. Our WRs weren't great, but they did enough to make a game of it. Our QB wasn't here for it. 

If he's going to throw a tantrum and not throw to Allison, or over the middle because of one drop, the least he could do is tell the coaches so they can plan around that. 

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Kind of sad really how your thought process on Rodgers has "ate you up".  You can't seem to just relax and enjoy things as they are.  Everybody has their thoughts about what can and can't be done, how things should and shouldn't be.  However, your dislike of Rodgers is over the top.   We get he isn't playing like he used to and for whatever reason can't "see the forest from the trees" in adapting to dumping off his throws, holding onto the ball to long, not hitting certain receivers.  To actually insinuate he's a coward for not wanting to get hurt is simply put ... goofy.  A little bit chicken, getting softer, etc maybe the correct thought process.  Coward, sorry my friend ... way overboard.   

QB1 is still a football player.

We'd all hate a WR not competing for a ball because he knows he's going to get hit by a safety.

We all hated a bunch of DBs for making business decisions.

Why is QB1 different? The man's making business decisions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We'd all hate a WR not competing for a ball because he knows he's going to get hit by a safety.

Why you gotta hate any of these guys? It's football. We're 8-3. The thread is literally called "glass is half full." Some of us are just trying to live.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does any of that justify being called a coward?  He doesn't fit your profile of what a qb should do/be and he's a coward?  Way over the top - way over the top.