NFL 100 team

3rivers

11 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Not hard to figure out for some... but some of the younger fans don't seem to realize how hard it was to pass back in the day. 

Harder to pass back then because your receivers were nonathletic slugs who couldn't run routes to save their lives. Put today's athletes on those teams with those rules and you'd still see 4,000 yard passers.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Harder to pass back then because your receivers were nonathletic slugs who couldn't run routes to save their lives. Put today's athletes on those teams with those rules and you'd still see 4,000 yard passers.

Or it was because you could mug the WRs for most of NFL history. 

15 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Football was generally much better back then.  

It was more entertaining, being more centered around the running game. 

And all the hits were legal.  That's what real football is.  

Football is not "better" because you can get away with physical assault on the field. Hate this narrative. Targetting someones head does not improve the game. Diving at the QB's knees does not improve the game. Some of the rules on defence and what is a catch are frustrating, but the safety rules aren't, the big problem remains the consistency of application from the refs, however the refs and officiating are fans biggest gripe with modern NFL.

Same argument we see here in Europe with regards to soccer. "It was so much better when you could slide in with two feet! The good old days". Absolute nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Football is not "better" because you can get away with physical assault on the field. Hate this narrative. Targetting someones head does not improve the game. Diving at the QB's knees does not improve the game. Some of the rules on defence and what is a catch are frustrating, but the safety rules aren't, the big problem remains the consistency of application from the refs, however the refs and officiating are fans biggest gripe with modern NFL.

Same argument we see here in Europe with regards to soccer. "It was so much better when you could slide in with two feet! The good old days". Absolute nonsense.

You really sound like a child that has no idea whatsoever what real football is.  

4 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Football is not "better" because you can get away with physical assault on the field. Hate this narrative. 

^^^ Yeah, you hate the narrative because you're too young to understand it.  

These were guys who played the game the way it was meant to be played and didn't get paid barely anything for it.  

Nowadays, the players are being paid ridiculous amounts of money, so it would seem like the big hits and injuries should be even more fair game than it was back then. 

Even the football players themselves are so physically smaller than what they used to be.  

NFL corners and safeties look like high school players on the field now.  

No, it's not "physical assault" either.  That's how your sheltered mentality looks at it. 

Most football players make hits like that to win over plays,.  They don't do it to intentionally take that player out of the game (yeah, you have a few bad apples, but you'll have that anywhere).  

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Bro, those are the pads. Generally the players are all bigger. 

No, not true at all.  

Take Pittsburgh for example.  

Fitzpatrick isn't near Polamalu's size.  

Neither is Bud Dupree or TJ Watt to somebody like James Harrison or Lamar Woodley. 

Those guys were definitively bigger football players.  

Even on the line.  

Aaron Donald is incredibly small (which does give him the advantage) compared to guys like Warren Sapp.  

It would only make sense too, since the league has shifted from running to passing, as well as the overcooked player protection rules.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

21 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

You really sound like a child that has no idea whatsoever what real football is.  

^^^ Yeah, you hate the narrative because you're too young to understand it.  

These were guys who played the game the way it was meant to be played and didn't get paid barely anything for it.  

Nowadays, the players are being paid ridiculous amounts of money, so it would seem like the big hits and injuries should be even more fair game than it was back then. 

Even the football players themselves are so physically smaller than what they used to be.  

NFL corners and safeties look like high school players on the field now.  

No, it's not "physical assault" either.  That's how your sheltered mentality looks at it. 

Most football players make hits like that to win over plays,.  They don't do it to intentionally take that player out of the game (yeah, you have a few bad apples, but you'll have that anywhere).  

I have no idea what "real football" is. This coming from the guy who thinks the following:-

• Mike Tomlin refused to play James Harrison because "reasons"
  • Think Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfields situations in 2019 are comparable.
  • Think Kyler Murray won't be successful due to the Cardinals record this year ignoring context because "all of those weapons he has", because Big Ben once went 15-1 as a rookie.
  • Think's Julius Pepper should be considered for the 2010 All Decade Team
  • Think Brees is better than Brady by a country mile. (and I'm a huge Drew Brees stan but lol at this take)
  • Do not think Brady is "anywhere near the best QB of all time." because he can't run, has no pocket movement and got carried by Moss/Gronkowski despite winning 3 SB's before either got there.
  • Think the Rams should get rid of McVay and Goff.

Seem to me your the one whose got no idea of the sport we watch.

21 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I may have only watched football since 2008, but if this is your stance then there is no point having the discussion. I'm done.

Offensive lineman are way bigger than they used to be. I wonder if there is a starting line with someone below 290 pounds. Because in the 80s that was normal. Checking Montana's 1984 squad with Paris, Ayers, Cross, Quillan, and Fahnhorst, they'd get killed now if they went straight up against a squad. Everyone except Paris was around 260 to 270. No one is that light now, and starting on an offensive line I don't believe. 

Edited by PapaShogun

13 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

I may have only watched football since 2008,

From your long list of ridiculous complaints, this is the one sentence fragment that I paid attention to.  

And, it's the only part of that post that needs to be read.  

I rest my case.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Offensive lineman are way bigger than they used to be. I wonder if there is a starting line with someone below 290 pounds. Because in the 80s that was normal. Checking Montana's 1984 squad with Paris, Ayers, Cross, Quillan, and Fahnhorst, they'd get killed now if they went straight up against a squad. Everyone except Paris was around 260 to 270. No one is that light now, and starting on an offensive line I don't believe. 

Larry Allen debunks your case.  

19 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, not true at all.  

Take Pittsburgh for example.  

Fitzpatrick isn't near Polamalu's size.  

Neither is Bud Dupree or TJ Watt to somebody like James Harrison or Lamar Woodley. 

Those guys were definitively bigger football players.  

Even on the line.  

Aaron Donald is incredibly small (which does give him the advantage) compared to guys like Warren Sapp.  

It would only make sense too, since the league has shifted from running to passing, as well as the overcooked player protection rules.  

These are all players from the same era (or very close).... This is a terrible example. How about this:

2008 superbowl steelers:

NT 6'1 325

LB 6' 242

S 5'10 207

1979 Superbowl steelers

NT 6'4 275

LB 6'4 220

S 5'11 190

The height to weight ratio all favor the 2008 team. And I bet the same is true from 2008 to 2019. Players get bigger, faster, stronger every year.