NFL 100 team

3rivers

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

No, the passing environment has become so friendly that it just seems like all the best QBs have been in the past 15 years. There was no illegal contact rule before 1978, and even then it wasn't really enforced until the 90's. Recently we have seen the player safety rules completely open up the middle of the field, which was previously a death zone for WRs. Head shots were completely acceptable, the QB had to avoid throwing in those areas or else you run out of receivers by week 3. 

The kind of precision offenses that Manning pioneered and Brees has run were unthinkable in past environments. 

Well yeah, that's not hard to figure out.  

That's why passing yardage and completion percentage are at an all time high. 

Edited by RamblinMan99

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

I personally wouldn’t have Elway over Brees (Staubach yes and I can’t believe that is a question). But

1. Even if I took Elway off, Young deserves to be there before Brees Imo

2. People who actually watched Elway think he’s a god for some reason. So it’s not surprising he made it 

Your crazy man. Staubach is a Mt Rushmore QB at best, top ~7 at worst. 

Poor Jets. Their best chance was probably Maynard or Revis, and that was a super long shot. Namath wasn't going to make it. Jaguars and Panthers are in the same boat, but their franchises are only about 25 years old.

BTW, I guess Titans fans are at a crossroads. Bruce Matthews is pretty much the only one that played in Tennessee that is on the list I think. And that was 3 years. I could see Texans fans being happy their old guys in Oilers uniforms made it.

Edited by PapaShogun

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Poor Jets. Their best chance was probably Maynard or Revis, and that was a super long shot. Namath wasn't going to make it.

Meanwhile, Mark Gastineau and Joe Klecko were the better half of the New York Sack Exchange and neither one of them got in.  

They're not even in the Hall of Fame either.  

The whole thing is nothing but a popularity contest.  

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Not hard to figure out for some... but some of the younger fans don't seem to realize how hard it was to pass back in the day. 

Football was generally much better back then.  

It was more entertaining, being more centered around the running game. 

And all the hits were legal.  That's what real football is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

. I could see Texans fans being happy their old guys in Oilers uniforms made it.

If I was a Houston fan, I'd be glad to have Earl Campbell represent my city on the top 100, regardless of whether or not he played for the Texans.  

He's the best power running back of all time.  

On 12/27/2019 at 6:55 AM, ChazStandard said:

The mythology of Peyton “coach on the field” Manning is so weird. He had no more input than every elite QB has. If he was the true OC someone should have told the Colts, because they wasted a lot of money paying Tom Moore to do absolutely nothing.

All great QBs audible. Waving his arms a lot and walking back from under centre doesn’t make Peyton an OC.

Arent you a Pats fan? Here is what *YOUR* coach had to say:

“When you play against Peyton Manning, you play against the quarterback and the game-planner and the offensive play-caller,” Belichick said. “… He’s playing you, he’s under center, he’s got the game plan, he’s going to handle the protections, he’s going to make the adjustments and he’s going to call the plays, and he’s going to execute the plays. You’ve got to really figure out how he sees the game, because in the end, that’s going to trump everything else. It’s unusual to see a quarterback like that. He’s a little different than any of the other ones. 

“Call it a chess game, call it a matchup, but he was all those wrapped up into one. You’ve got to know the play-caller, you’ve got to know who’s making the game plan, and you’ve got to know how the quarterback thinks — and that was all Peyton Manning.”

SO are you right, or is Billy B correct about this "myth"?

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Arent you a Pats fan? Here is what *YOUR* coach had to say:

SO are you right, or is Billy B correct about this "myth"?

Matts, BB has glowing pre-game words for everyone on the opposition - like Miami this week.. It's a BB tactic. Not saying BB was blowing smoke because Peyton was damn good. But don't take everything he says verbatim. 

2 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Matts, BB has glowing pre-game words for everyone on the opposition - like Miami this week.. It's a BB tactic. Not saying BB was blowing smoke because Peyton was damn good. But don't take everything he says verbatim. 

Can you tell me all the other QBs he called "the game planner, coordinator and play caller"?

Is there even 1 in Bills like 50 years in the NFL? Just 1.