NFL 100 team

3rivers

13 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Since Rodgers was a starter most people would have put him over Brees every year but 09, 17, 18, and 19. Maybe 08... but he was lighting it up as a first tear starter. 

So basically this entire decade until his 17 injury Rodgers was considered better and quite frankly Brees in those years simply got better a team and had the load taken off of him more. 

Rodgers is much more likely to make the all decade team than Brees for instance and outside of two years, they almost exclusively overlapped this decade 

I still got Brees in 08 and 2013 also.  

Edit:  Perhaps 2015.  Not sure about that one.  I remember Packer fans complaining wildly about Rodgers in 2015 and the first half of 2016.  And honestly, his comp% was terrible in 2015.  Brees wasn't all that special either though, so not sure.

Edited by Jlowe22

58 minutes ago, RussianJag said:

Meh Brees is a stat padder. Never been the best QB. Maybe I’d replace Elway with Brees, but Elways been to 5 SBs and won 2 of them. And pretty sure still has more wins and an MVP. 

Really don’t know how some people call him the GOAT... 

Imagine choosing John Elway over Drew Brees.  

Wow.  

8 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Elway and Staubach over Brees? No friggin way. 

I personally wouldn’t have Elway over Brees (Staubach yes and I can’t believe that is a question). But

1. Even if I took Elway off, Young deserves to be there before Brees Imo

2. People who actually watched Elway think he’s a god for some reason. So it’s not surprising he made it 

12 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I still got Brees in 08 and 2013 also.  

Edit:  Perhaps 2015.  Not sure about that one.  I remember Packer fans complaining wildly about Rodgers in 2015 and the first half of 2016.  And honestly, his comp% was terrible in 2015.  Brees wasn't all that special either though, so not sure.

I mean even then 2013 was an injury year for Rodgers so it’s kind of a toss up. Likewise 08 was his first starting year. I really don’t see the point in comparing years where you kinda have one guy at a handicap as though it’s a one to one comparison 

Best way to say it is, Rodgers was considered the better QB once he started getting going until his injury now 2017

Terry Bradshaw got snubbed so bad.  

He wasn't the most accurate passer, but he's one of the best in history for his range.  

Admittedly, he didn't have worry about accuracy.  If he threw the football into the stands, Lynn Swann would be there to catch it.  If he threw it too high,  John Stallworth had the arms to grab it out of the air.  

But he was Super Bowl MVP in two of the four Super Bowls he won.  

Where Bradshaw is truly one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time is his consistency in the postseason.  

Whenever this guy went to the Super Bowl,  he won the Super Bowl.  He was all about showing up when it counted.  

I would take Bradshaw over half of those guys on that list.  

18 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Imagine choosing John Elway over Drew Brees.  

Wow.  

Didn’t say that I’d choose him over Brees. Wouldn’t choose him over Rodgers either. I mean if I had to take someone off for Brees then it’d be Elway. But I’m not mad they chose Elway over him because he’s won more games, had more playoff success, and won an mvp. People just sound like they left off Brady or Manning. 

Edited by RussianJag

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I mean even then 2013 was an injury year for Rodgers so it’s kind of a toss up. Likewise 08 was his first starting year. I really don’t see the point in comparing years where you kinda have one guy at a handicap as though it’s a one to one comparison 

Best way to say it is, Rodgers was considered the better QB once he started getting going until his injury now 2017

I would say, Rodgers was better 2010-2012, 2014, 2016. (Brees also hurt in 2010).  

2 minutes ago, RussianJag said:

Didn’t say that I’d choose him over Brees. Wouldn’t choose him over Rodgers either. I mean if I had to take someone off for Brees then it’d be Elway. People just sound like they left off Brady or Manning. 

Really don't agree with your statement that Brees is a stat-padder.  

That's some real hogwash right there.  

The guy is two years younger than Brady and has five more TD passes than he does.  

Brees is easily one of the all time best.  

10 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Terry Bradshaw got snubbed so bad.  

He wasn't the most accurate passer, but he's one of the best in history for his range.  

Admittedly, he didn't have worry about accuracy.  If he threw the football into the stands, Lynn Swann would be there to catch it.  If he threw it too high,  John Stallworth had the arms to grab it out of the air.  

But he was Super Bowl MVP in two of the four Super Bowls he won.  

Where Bradshaw is truly one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time is his consistency in the postseason.  

Whenever this guy went to the Super Bowl,  he won the Super Bowl.  He was all about showing up when it counted.  

I would take Bradshaw over half of those guys on that list.  

No way Bradshaw deserves it over any of those guys... Shoot there's like 5 or 10 other guys I'd put in there before Bradshaw even. He got carried to his SB wins by roided up Steelers team. 

4 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

No way Bradshaw deserves it over any of those guys... Shoot there's like 5 or 10 other guys I'd put in there before Bradshaw even. He got carried to his SB wins by roided up Steelers team. 

Wow, just wow.  

You do know that Bradshaw called all of his own plays, right?  

Chuck Noll would get in fights with him on the sideline, because Terry always wanted to call the plays on his own, and he did.  Never listened to Noll. 

That goes for the Super Bowls as well.  He did depend on his offensive weapons, but he won 4 Super Bowls in just 6 years because he called all the shots.  

He was not what you call the "regular season franchise" QB.  That's not who Bradshaw was, nor was he the most talented guy on his team.  

But, if you wanted to win a Super Bowl, Bradshaw's the best guy because he never crumbled under that kind of pressure.  

"Franchise" QBs like Dan Marino and Peyton Manning were naturally talented QBs, but they would choke in the biggest game in football. 

You definitely don't know anything from that era of football, but that's ok. 

That's why I'm here to educate you.  

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

He was not what you call the "regular season franchise" QB.  That's not who Bradshaw was, nor was he the most talented guy on his team.  

But, if you wanted to win a Super Bowl, Bradshaw's the best guy because he never crumbled under that kind of pressure.  

Sorry but if you want to be one of the greatest QBs ever, you have to dominate the regular season. 

If you want to talk most clutch QBs of all time, then Bart Starr goes in before Bradshaw anyways. 

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Sorry but if you want to be one of the greatest QBs ever, you have to dominate the regular season. 

If you want to talk most clutch QBs of all time, then Bart Starr goes in before Bradshaw anyways. 

Yeah, by NFL standards, not by the general consensus of how far a QB can really go with his career and how singular his vision can be.  

That's exactly why QBs like Marino and Manning are selected over guys like Starr and Bradshaw.  

Yeah, they were better regular season QBs.  They might have gotten their teams to the playoffs, but they were chokers who don't get the same respect (Granted, Manning won one on his own, the other handed to him;  Marino didn't win any).  

That's why winning at least one Super Bowl is such a big deal, especially if a QB is named Super Bowl MVP (one of the most underrated awards).  

The quarterback is the on field leader, and if a quarterback doesn't have the leadership skills to take his team all the way at least once, then it's a wasted career.  

That's why Bradshaw and Starr both deserve to be on the list, but aren't.  

But, going from your comment about Starr over Bradshaw,  I agree that Bart Starr is an absolute legend, but Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls, 2 consecutive Super Bowls twice (still a record), all within just 6 years and was named Super Bowl MVP in two of them.  

Bradshaw should  be taken first over Starr.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wow the best QB of the 1950's?!? What an incredible accomplishment!

There should be major recency bias with QB's IMO because the best QB's to ever play the position have played within the last 10-15 years for the large majority. That same thing can't be said about other positions like RB, S, CB, etc. where guys like Jim Brown, Walter Peyton, Ronnie Lott and Deion all played in the 80's or earlier. 

No, the passing environment has become so friendly that it just seems like all the best QBs have been in the past 15 years. There was no illegal contact rule before 1978, and even then it wasn't really enforced until the 90's. Recently we have seen the player safety rules completely open up the middle of the field, which was previously a death zone for WRs. Head shots were completely acceptable, the QB had to avoid throwing in those areas or else you run out of receivers by week 3. 

The kind of precision offenses that Manning pioneered and Brees has run were unthinkable in past environments. 

Lol y’all arguing over nothing. There’s been 100 years of the NFL, so celebrating 100 years and focusing on modern day QBs is a disservice to the whole premise. This isn’t necessarily the 100 best players to play the game. They’re essentially doing it by era. Best players in each era per se. It has to be looked at relatively. If this was a top 100 list like they did 10 years ago then I’d understand. But whose to say Otto Graham or Johnny Unitas wouldn’t thrive in modern eras too? 

Now with that being said I definitely putting Rodgers on list ahead of Favre and Elway. Brees too.