NFL 100 team

3rivers

7 hours ago, showtime said:

I was actually going to say this.  Even though he should be on the list, I have doubts that Rodgers makes it for some reason.  I could also see Brees not making it even though that was be a crime.

Also, I have Steve Young in my top 6 QB's ever, but I've noticed a decent amount of people have Elway or Favre above him for some reason.

I called Young, Brees and Rodgers all potentially not making it.  Insane.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I got no problem with it, I think the point of it is to represent all eras.  

But stuff like this is largely meaningless anyway.

I have a problem with it since I think Rodgers, Brees and Young are three of the top six QBs to ever play the game.

Just now, showtime said:

I have a problem with it since I think Rodgers, Brees and Young are three of the top six QBs to ever play the game.

Yes, but I think a list of top ten to ever play shouldn't include hardly any of the older guys.  So I see a 100 list a bit differently.

6 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, but I think a list of top ten to ever play shouldn't include hardly any of the older guys.  So I see a 100 list a bit differently.

No disrespect to the older guys, but they're just not as good as players in this era for the most part.  It's kind of like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA.  Chamberlain averaged like 50 points per game and 25 rebounds per game.  Wouldn't come close to those numbers in today's game.  He just played in an era with a bunch of athletes he vastly outclassed and was way bigger than most people.  I respect those guys for everything they did and building the foundation of the league, but I digress.

I hear what you're saying, though.

Just now, showtime said:

No disrespect to the older guys, but they're just not as good as players in this era for the most part.  It's kind of like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA.  Chamberlain averaged like 50 points per game and 25 rebounds per game.  Wouldn't come close to those numbers in today's game.  He just played in an era with a bunch of athletes he vastly outclassed and was way bigger than most people.  I respect those guys for everything they did and building the foundation of the league, but I digress.

I agree, I don't think any of the older guys are as good.  The lone exception may be Unitas, but even that is questionable.  But I wasn't around to watch them play, so maybe I'm wrong.

The only QBs I firmly, without any doubt or question, put over Brees are Brady, Manning, Montana.  Personally I have a few other guys over Brees, but I can see arguments for Brees over almost any of them.  With Young, I put him fringe top 5 close to Brees, ahead or behind doesn't matter.  Rodgers I think is top 5 worthy ability wise, but I'm not sure how many guys I can put his career over.

I think Rodgers, Brees, and Young are all better than Favre also.  Favre had a crazy peak, but if I had to choose a guy to be my team's QB for 20 years, I'm taking all three over Favre.  But Favre's legacy is just as much about his iron man streak and entertainment value as it is ability, so I can understand why he was chosen.  

I'd put Staubach somewhere in the top ten also.

Elway, I'd put several guys over, but people love Elway and his superbowl trips, so I understand his inclusion.

34 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

You have to compare guys against their era. Otherwise you'd have a top 100 player in NFL history list of nothing but guys from the 2000s onward. How stupid and pointless would that list be? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, showtime said:
38 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Thats true for virtually all athletes aside from QBs. I think they would do better in this era. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

You have to compare guys against their era. Otherwise you'd have a top 100 player in NFL history list of nothing but guys from the 2000s onward. How stupid and pointless would that list be? 

Well comparing across eras in general is pointless.  The game has changed too much.  If we want a 100 list representing all eras, then that's fine, I got no problem with it, which was my point.  But it shouldn't be the same as a top ten list of the best. 

I don't think Andy Dalton is better than Otto Graham, but i do think the top 3-4 from this era are better than the top 3-4 from eras long past.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think that's part of what makes guys like that so special. Dominating your competition in such a way that you're an outlier for a decade is incredible and should be acknowledged. And should be considered one of the best of all time.

49 minutes ago, showtime said:

QUARTERBACK (10): Sammy Baugh, Tom Brady*, John Elway, Brett Favre, Otto Graham*, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana*, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas*

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001091999/article/nfls-alltime-team-tom-brady-joe-montana-top-quarterbacks

This list is pretty solid IMO. The QB position really became more important in the modern era once they changed the rules regarding illegal contact in 1978. So they got the QBs the were utterly dominant in the earlier eras in Baugh, Graham, Unitas, and to a lesser extent Staubach, but focused on the great players of the 80s and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well comparing across eras in general is pointless.  The game has changed too much.  If we want a 100 list representing all eras, then that's fine, I got no problem with it, which was my point.  But it shouldn't be the same as a top ten list of the best. 

I don't think Andy Dalton is better than Otto Graham, but i do think the top 3-4 from this era are better than the top 3-4 from eras long past.

But Otto Graham wasn't just the top 3-4 from his era, he was far away the absolute BEST of his time. 7x all pro, with 7 championships as well. Same is true of Baugh and Unitas. 

Brees has 1 all pro and one chip, by comparison. Never the best of his era. Steve Young has more of an argument, IMO, but didn't have as long a career as the other modern players. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

But Otto Graham wasn't just the top 3-4 from his era, he was far away the absolute BEST of his time. 7x all pro, with 7 championships as well. Same is true of Baugh and Unitas. 

Brees has 1 all pro and one chip, by comparison. Never the best of his era. Steve Young has more of an argument, IMO, but didn't have as long a career as the other modern players. 

Yet Montana, and now Brady are considered GOATs instead of Graham.  Either that kind of dominance is much harder to achieve in later eras, or Graham was the best QB to ever live, and likely to live.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

QUARTERBACK (10): Sammy Baugh, Tom Brady*, John Elway, Brett Favre, Otto Graham*, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana*, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas*

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001091999/article/nfls-alltime-team-tom-brady-joe-montana-top-quarterbacks

I'm surprised Manning wasn't unanimous. He should have been.