2017-18 Offseason Talk

Glen

Maybe Brooklyn isn't looking at it for this year, or next year, but 3 years down the line.  Look at the deals they took with Mozgov and Crabbe, both are 3 years away.  DRuss, has 2 years, and a qualifying offer.  Carroll is 2 years.  So they take on contracts for 2 years, they make themselves a middle of the road team, probably near bottom playoff in the East, they need to make sure to sell Russ on their plan, spend these 2 years, improving, winning more games than he won in LA, make it to the playoffs, even if it's a first round exit, get him excited about it.  If Russ develops like they hope he will, they'll have plenty of money, and hopefully a great young player, possibly some other pieces develop, and a ridiculous amount of cap space to try and lure a top FA or two. I think Brooklyn could be a destination, they just need to show they can field a winning/competent team and have a desireable player to join.

The Brooklyn deal can be looked at as paying $12.5 million a year for Crabbe considering they got rid of a guy making $6.5 million who was never going to play a second for them.  It also matches up with their bad contracts already.  They currently have 0 money guaranteed for 2020 and beyond.  

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

The Brooklyn deal can be looked at as paying $12.5 million a year for Crabbe considering they got rid of a guy making $6.5 million who was never going to play a second for them.  It also matches up with their bad contracts already.  They currently have 0 money guaranteed for 2020 and beyond.  

opportunity cost of not having space available for a better/more rewarding dump tho

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

opportunity cost of not having space available for a better/more rewarding dump tho

It's a situation where Brooklyn loves Crabbe.  They gave Crabbe the contract in the first place and just saw him have his best season yet.  They don't view this as a dump; they got a player they wanted for the cost of Andrew Nicholson.

11 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's a situation where Brooklyn loves Crabbe.  They gave Crabbe the contract in the first place and just saw him have his best season yet.  They don't view this as a dump; they got a player they wanted for the cost of Andrew Nicholson.

Yeah, not a fan. They should have gotten something with that contract. A bad contract is a bad contract no matter what team you are.

This sucks for the teams competing out west giving the Blazers a get outta jail free card. 

1 hour ago, coors said:

There's something to love about Crabbe?

He's one of the best 3P shooters in the league, good size, competes on defense, and is still young.  I'm a Crabbe fan (not at his price, though) and think he can become a JJ Reddick level player if given a bigger role, which he'll have in Brooklyn.

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's one of the best 3P shooters in the league, good size, competes on defense, and is still young.  I'm a Crabbe fan (not at his price, though) and think he can become a JJ Reddick level player if given a bigger role, which he'll have in Brooklyn.

i agree with your views on Crabbe completely

22 hours ago, Raves said:

Maybe Brooklyn isn't looking at it for this year, or next year, but 3 years down the line.  Look at the deals they took with Mozgov and Crabbe, both are 3 years away.  DRuss, has 2 years, and a qualifying offer.  Carroll is 2 years.  So they take on contracts for 2 years, they make themselves a middle of the road team, probably near bottom playoff in the East, they need to make sure to sell Russ on their plan, spend these 2 years, improving, winning more games than he won in LA, make it to the playoffs, even if it's a first round exit, get him excited about it.  If Russ develops like they hope he will, they'll have plenty of money, and hopefully a great young player, possibly some other pieces develop, and a ridiculous amount of cap space to try and lure a top FA or two. I think Brooklyn could be a destination, they just need to show they can field a winning/competent team and have a desireable player to join.

You're putting a LOT of your eggs into a basket of a player who isn't the most reliable player.  I'm not saying D'Angelo isn't going to turn heads this year, but the consistency wasn't Russell's strength.  I think the Nets are trying to be competitive.

23 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

Could've been like one of a few teams w/ money to throw at guys and they're getting rid of that opportunity for like nothing. At least w/ Carroll they got picks, they just erased 18m in cap space for a real solid bench guy. I was alright w/ Carroll, but w/o getting any additional value makes it way harder to justify these kind of moves as good ones. If we're being real, Crabbe (in the current climate) is a ~8m guy? Probably would've got something like that this offseason? Why you would take on ~18m for 3 years w/ no added value in that deal? Banana's iyam. 

But yeah like you're saying, kudos to PRX for bailing themselves out on part of the top 3 silly offseason's in the last 5 years. That sentence probably doesn't make sense, but f it. 

I'm sorry but there is absolutely a zero percent chance that Allen Crabbe would command $8M a year "in this current climate"

He shot 44% from 3 last year behind only Pau Gasol...

The Nets traded their worst contract, Andrew Nicholson, who made $6M a year the other way which nets Crabbe, a starter, at $12M a year 

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're putting a LOT of your eggs into a basket of a player who isn't the most reliable player.  I'm not saying D'Angelo isn't going to turn heads this year, but the consistency wasn't Russell's strength.  I think the Nets are trying to be competitive.

I wouldn't do it, but considering the Nets have put themselves in a poor position from back when they made all those moves for Deron Williams and then the guys from Boston they got, they've been bleeding assets and needed to start somewhere.  It's not the best position, but at least they seem to have a direction they are looking to follow, that's better than what they were doing.

Archived