Packers Release LaDarius Gunter, RJF

packfanfb

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd be very surprised if Jones was brought back. I may very well be wrong but the impression I got was that there was not a good relationship by the end of Jones' time here.

Yea wasn't there a story about Jones saying the Packers just changed his position without consulting with him and he wasnt happy about it, etc...

1 hour ago, packerjmf said:

Should there be a new thread for these moves? Was a bit confusing to figure out what's happened.

Absolutely.  Feel free to post any news as a new thread.  Threads that don't have activity will eventually fall to the bottom of the forum.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yea wasn't there a story about Jones saying the Packers just changed his position without consulting with him and he wasnt happy about it, etc...

The story that I've got 3rd hand was that the Packers wanted Jones long term to play at Mike Daniels' current position.

Jones didn't want to put on the weight and play inside. He wanted to be an edge rusher.

Neither side was willing to budge until Jones came into camp at 270 when the staff wanted him at 305. Without a ton of other options he got put at OLB, but that was basically the end of any long term future Jones had in GB.

Like I said, 3rd hand information but that's what I've heard.

17 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Any chance Gunter begged his way out? He could play somewhere.

Certainly possible.  Likely that GB sees Gunter as at best the #5 CB behind House, King, Randall and Rollins and likely pushing for time with Hawkins.  Not to mention the group of safeties that GB can roll out.  There was just no path to him seeing playing time barring a huge rash of injuries.   With his limited upside due to his lack of speed, maybe the staff felt it best to move on from him and let him try to catch on elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From Jason Wilde:

Just last week, Francois was talking about how he’s told many of the young players that the Packers take better care of their players than other NFL teams he’s played for.

“Everything you get here? Many organizations don’t do that. Here, they take care of players — physically, mentally, rest, food, whatever,” Francois said at the time. “They take care of them. Many organizations don’t do that. That’s why you have a team that’s been to the playoffs so many years — eight, nine years in a row."

Honestly, that might be part of it.  He only got 6 snaps this week against the Seahawks, and he figures to see his snaps decrease when Adams is healthy and Dial gets exposed to the playbook more.

36 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Any chance Gunter begged his way out? He could play somewhere.

Possible, but unlikely.  I think it's more that they didn't really think much of him long term.  He was never more than a #4 CB with his lack of long speed, and he was pushed into a role last year he quite frankly shouldn't have ever been.  They probably view Josh Hawkins and Lenzy Pipkins as better long term options.  And they probably offer more ST value as well.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Possible, but unlikely.  I think it's more that they didn't really think much of him long term.  He was never more than a #4 CB with his lack of long speed, and he was pushed into a role last year he quite frankly shouldn't have ever been.  They probably view Josh Hawkins and Lenzy Pipkins as better long term options.  And they probably offer more ST value as well.

Seems fair. Odd timing again though kind of.

Archived