Xbox Series X

showtime

Apparently be major issue with 343 has been two things:

1. To cheapen costs, they hire a ton of short-term contractors. People that work work for 4-9 months and then get released. This allows them to be flexible with their spending and keep tighter annual budgets. The downside is that, out of those 4-9 months, the onboarding process likely makes it so only the last 2-3 months actually sees the contractor working efficiently, and still not 100% at that. Doesn't help either that 343 uses an in-house engine, which probably takes new hires some time to learn. Which leads me to

2. Apparently a huge woe throughout the development of Infinite has been them updating/modernizing the Infinite engine, Slipspace. I read that they had a lot of coding "debt" from early on that had to deal with when trying to update it. This made updates incredibly time consuming and difficult, much more so than if the debt didn't exist. If you don't know coding, imagine having a massive bundle of wires that are all tangled together and nothing is labeled or colored properly. Working with that birds nest will be so much more difficult/annoying than if everything was neat and orderly. That's essentially how their engine was at it's core. Once they worked through that is when Infinite started to become the Halo that most people were hoping for.

Lots of rumors seem to point to them using Unreal Engine 5 for future Halos. Unfortunate if they fixed the Slipspace issue, but would likely make their contractor issue much less pronounced as people would be able to really hit the ground running with a ubiquitous engine such as UE5.

• Like 3

If there's one thing I hope that a whole bunch of companies ****ing finally realize. stop trying to save a buck by making your own **** engine. And just use Unreal 5.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danger said:

If there's one thing I hope that a whole bunch of companies ****ing finally realize. stop trying to save a buck by making your own **** engine. And just use Unreal 5.

I always really enjoy Ubisoft games but they all start to feel the same and get stale about halfway through. Good thing I wait until the games are 10 or 15 bucks because that's about what they are worth

48 minutes ago, adamq said:

I always really enjoy Ubisoft games but they all start to feel the same and get stale about halfway through. Good thing I wait until the games are 10 or 15 bucks because that's about what they are worth

I... admittedly enjoyed Odyssey and Valhalla, not worth a replay though. Pretty formulaic gameplay.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Danger said:

I... admittedly enjoyed Odyssey and Valhalla, not worth a replay though. Pretty formulaic gameplay.

Valhalla I played all the way through.. Odyssey I got quite far on but just stopped one day and eventually Uninstalled for space 

I agree @Danger, most of them should just use it or make a team to specifically make a competing engine. UE5 is crazy easy to use though, I’ve poked around in it a bit for work.

Been very in or out on AC, I’m the same way where it needs to grab me or I’m out. Only one I circled back to was Odyssey as a Covid era thing. Origins is the only one I’m not sure why I didn’t play it much.

1. Assassin’s Creed (2007)

2. Assassin’s Creed II (2009)

3. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

4. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (2011)

5. Assassin’s Creed III (2012)

6. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)

7. Assassin’s Creed: Rogue (2014)

8. Assassin’s Creed: Unity (2014)

9. Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (2015)

10. Assassin’s Creed: Origins (2017)

11. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey (2018)

12. Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla (2021)

13. Assassin’s Creed Mirage (2023)

Excited for AC: Red / Shadows this fall in Japan

On 5/12/2024 at 8:49 PM, adamq said:

Valhalla I played all the way through.. Odyssey I got quite far on but just stopped one day and eventually Uninstalled for space 

Odyssey was fabulous as a spring/summer of 2020

it had waaaaaaay to much to do, but when nothing else was going on I played the hell outta it

• Like 1

Call of Duty: Gulf War officially launching Day One on gamepass

Rumors too that a new structure to the gamepass tiers are coming too

This is a big deal for getting gamepass to work at a higher threshold 

I think I have Game Pass paid for until end of 2024 or 2025. Feel pretty confident they're about to skyrocket the price. If video streaming services are approaching $20, I can't imagine what a game service will be soon. Likely $30-40 a month in the next year or so.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

I think I have Game Pass paid for until end of 2024 or 2025. Feel pretty confident they're about to skyrocket the price. If video streaming services are approaching $20, I can't imagine what a game service will be soon. Likely $30-40 a month in the next year or so.

Is it worth it, at that point?  I've never had gamepass, so I don't actually know.  That's the price of 6 new games a year, of your choice.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Call of Duty: Gulf War officially launching Day One on gamepass

Rumors too that a new structure to the gamepass tiers are coming too

This is a big deal for getting gamepass to work at a higher threshold 

What time period are we talking about for "Gulf War"

90s?

18 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Is it worth it, at that point?  I've never had gamepass, so I don't actually know.  That's the price of 6 new games a year, of your choice.  

yeah, at that point likely not. i only buy 1-3 games a year. game pass i only use a few times a year. but with the skyrocketing cost of development, it seems inevitable that Game Pass will follow suit with cost. i think $20-$25 is my max. if it goes beyond that i will probably not renew.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

yeah, at that point likely not. i only buy 1-3 games a year. game pass i only use a few times a year. but with the skyrocketing cost of development, it seems inevitable that Game Pass will follow suit with cost. i think $20-$25 is my max. if it goes beyond that i will probably not renew.

I think we’ll get a new $20 tier

They’ll incentivize it further than Ultimate where you get cod points, blueprints/operator skins every month like they did with Halo.

It’ll probably come to with early access to all the games the Friday before, other stuff like that.

If it is $25 they are gonna need to sell the he’ll outta it. Like talking EA into adding sports in Day 1 or something that will be a value add for a lot of people.

I just cancelled game pass the other day, not worth it to me. I play a couple games a year maybe and put a lot of hours into them, and replay old games as well.

With the supposed price hike incoming, was the perfect excuse to get myself to cancel finally

• Like 1