Report: Shohei Otani will be posted and play in the MLB next year

JammerHammer21

Don't expect to win but at least we still have a chance...

Ultimate power move would be to show up at his meeting with a newly signed Yu Darvish. Kinda like how the Suns showed up to their LaMarcus Aldridge pitch with a newly signed Tyson Chandler, except for Yu Darvish is actually good at his sport. Would be lit.

27 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Don't expect to win but at least we still have a chance...

Ultimate power move would be to show up at his meeting with a newly signed Yu Darvish. Kinda like how the Suns showed up to their LaMarcus Aldridge pitch with a newly signed Tyson Chandler, except for Yu Darvish is actually good at his sport. Would be lit.

I read something the other day that Ohtani doesn't want to go to a place that has a japenese star on it or was on it. Said he doesn't want to fallow in their footsteps and wants to create his own legacy. Would make sense because Yankees have Tanaka and had Matsui... So if you show up with Darvish it could actually hurt

2 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

The final 7 confirmed

Dodgers and Cubs on the list and they aren't small market. Looks like Ohtani isn't worried about playing in a big city, he just hates New York.

Well this is just all sorts of fantastic, despite the presence of the Dodgers and the slim chance the Cubs actually have. 

12 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Tears.....they are salty.

Actually not salty at all. If he went to a rival like Redsox or Mets I would be pretty upset. Heck if he went to Baltimore, Toronto, or Tampa I'd be upset. It just doesn't make any sense... Padres? Giants? Angels? Mariners? Rangers? Out of his top 5 none of them were over .500 this year. Seems like he just wants to be on a mediocre team and be forgotten about. He could have been great and become the face of all of baseball. And I'm not saying he should have signed with the Yankees. There are just far better options... Yanks, Redsox, Cubs, Houston, Dodgers, Arizona, Rockies... He would have been a better fit on all those teams. The fact that they won't even listen to what the better teams had to say is odd.

Guessing he ends up on the Giants. Their bench coach speaks 7 different languages including Japanese. 

4 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Seems like he just wants to be on a mediocre team and be forgotten about. He could have been great and become the face of all of baseball.

Yeah, everyone forgets about Mike Trout all the time.

5 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

There are just far better options... Yanks, Redsox, Cubs, Houston, Dodgers, Arizona, Rockies... He would have been a better fit on all those teams. The fact that they won't even listen to what the better teams had to say is odd.

Dodgers and Cubs are both on his list. And if we’re talking about going somewhere to be the face of baseball and rack up titles, those two are the destinations for that, far more so than New York or Arizona or Boston. 

He’s about to uproot his entire life, move to a foreign country where he knows basically no one, and completely start over with nothing but what the city offers. Of course he cares about more than just “big city, big payroll, big win total”.

It’s relatively easy for American athletes to move across the country and still have a network of people they know, particularly when they came up in minor leagues or college systems and met guys all across the country who landed with basically every team in baseball. Ohtani is going to know almost nobody, and is expected to just show up and fit into that city and that locker room with nobody he’s ever met before. No matter where he goes, he’s going to feel like an outsider and there’s going to be real hurdles to him finding a groove for his own personal happiness. That stuff likely weighs large on his decision. Trying to find the balance between the personal side and the baseball side is tough to navigate. This idea that he wants to be on a mediocre team and be forgotten about is really missing the nuance to this decision. And given that this is largely the response of New York fans, it’s not hard at all to understand why he scratched them from his short list; New York fans don’t seem to get it, and the team may not either.

30 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Actually not salty at all. If he went to a rival like Redsox or Mets I would be pretty upset. Heck if he went to Baltimore, Toronto, or Tampa I'd be upset. It just doesn't make any sense... Padres? Giants? Angels? Mariners? Rangers? Out of his top 5 none of them were over .500 this year. Seems like he just wants to be on a mediocre team and be forgotten about. He could have been great and become the face of all of baseball. And I'm not saying he should have signed with the Yankees. There are just far better options... Yanks, Redsox, Cubs, Houston, Dodgers, Arizona, Rockies... He would have been a better fit on all those teams. The fact that they won't even listen to what the better teams had to say is odd.

Guessing he ends up on the Giants. Their bench coach speaks 7 different languages including Japanese. 

Luckily for him he's not signing up to play for the 2017 version of those teams

11 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Dodgers and Cubs are both on his list. And if we’re talking about going somewhere to be the face of baseball and rack up titles, those two are the destinations for that, far more so than New York or Arizona or Boston. 

He’s about to uproot his entire life, move to a foreign country where he knows basically no one, and completely start over with nothing but what the city offers. Of course he cares about more than just “big city, big payroll, big win total”.

It’s relatively easy for American athletes to move across the country and still have a network of people they know, particularly when they came up in minor leagues or college systems and met guys all across the country who landed with basically every team in baseball. Ohtani is going to know almost nobody, and is expected to just show up and fit into that city and that locker room with nobody he’s ever met before. No matter where he goes, he’s going to feel like an outsider and there’s going to be real hurdles to him finding a groove for his own personal happiness. That stuff likely weighs large on his decision. Trying to find the balance between the personal side and the baseball side is tough to navigate. This idea that he wants to be on a mediocre team and be forgotten about is really missing the nuance to this decision. And given that this is largely the response of New York fans, it’s not hard at all to understand why he scratched them from his short list; New York fans don’t seem to get it, and the team may not either.

Don’t kid yourself, the Cubs are not better positioned to compete than the Yankees over the next 5-10.  Dodgers are maybe even. Maybe.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Oh as a Bills fan I get it. Small market team. Fans are awesome. Much more of a community atmosphere. I just don't agree that it's smartest thing for him to do. He is just limiting himself. The smartest thing for him to do if he wanted to only have 7 interviews is pick 3 cities he really liked, pick 3 current winning organizations, and use the last one on a team of his choosing. All from different location. That would really open up his options and him a chance to see what all teams have to offer. Moving half way across the world he doesn't really know America. It would be best to find different teams from throughout the country to see exactly what he wanted and see we're he fits best.

To be honest with you I think the best option for Shoehi would be Arizona. They are a young good playoff team, doesn't have to be in the bright lights, near the west coast, seems he is favoring warmer teams, may have a spot in lineup available with JD possibly moving on, they could use another pitcher, Arizona is mid pack with international money. To me Arizona just seems like they offer the best of both worlds. Fits what Ohtani wants and he can go to a franchise who has world series potential.

I just think he is limiting himself and it's not the best thing for his baseball career.

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

It would be best to find different teams from throughout the country to see exactly what he wanted and see we're he fits best.

Yeah, he probably should have sent out a questionnaire and allowed teams to pitch their area, including how they would integrate him in.

11 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Luckily for him he's not signing up to play for the 2017 version of those teams

I mean he kinda is. None of those teams are much different currently. He is not gonna be able to see who each of those teams sign so he can only base his decision on the year previous.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah, he probably should have sent out a questionnaire and allowed teams to pitch their area, including how they would integrate him in.

Come on man... You know better than this. Did you go to college? If so think of it like that... What would make you decide to go to a certain college. Would it be the little piece of paper you got in the mail that showed what they had to offer or would it be actually visiting, talking to the people first hand, and seeing what they had to offer. 

It's hard to sell anyone on a questionnaire that will be read. First hand knowledge of all the different locations and see what each location is about is way better than some piece of paper telling you.

Just now, marshawn lynch said:

Come on man... You know better than this. Did you go to college? If so think of it like that... What would make you decide to go to a certain college. Would it be the little piece of paper you got in the mail that showed what they had to offer or would it be actually visiting, talking to the people first hand, and seeing what they had to offer. 

It's hard to sell anyone on a questionnaire that will be read. First hand knowledge of all the different locations and see what each location is about is way better than some piece of paper telling you.

I did. I eliminated the overwhelming majority of colleges that I would have been competitive for without seeing them in person.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

By the way, it's definitely worth noting that in a signing that was going to be notoriously corrupt, one of the biggest scumbags in baseball (Preller - fight me greenie) has his team as a surprise favorite.

The Rangers have been in on Ohtani for 6 years now. There's a previous relationship there with Preller, not that surprised they're a finalist.

Archived