Honest question, did the Redskins miss Brandon Scherff today?

turtle28

‪Honest question, did the Redskins miss Brandon Scherff in either of the games he missed this year due to injury?

Because I don't think they did.

I’m still leaning towards franchise tagging Scherff and trading him for a draft pick or 2 - even if that isn't a first - re-signing Ereck Flowers to continue to be our LG, rolling with Wes Martin as our starting RG next year and drafting another mid-round guard to develop as Flowers’ & Martin’s back up.

• Like 1

No, I don't think so.  No sacks were given up today, and we were going up against Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox, maybe one of the best pass-rushing tandems in the NFL.  Heading into the game, the Eagles were 11th in sacks, so it's one of the better units overall as well.  The Redskins also don't help their cause, as they went into the game ranked sixth in sacks given up.  

Peterson averaged 4.1 yards per carry, not far off from the 4.3 average he came into the game with.  Dwayne Haskins also had his best game as a Redskin, throwing for 261 yards, two touchdowns and not turning the ball over until the final play of the game.  

If you know what you are looking for, you know that Haskins and Roullier were able to work together extremely effectively to set assignments and make adjustments.  Flowers continues to do well in his role, and the Redskins really controlled the interior which is the Eagles strength.  

I think if the team re-signed Ereck Flowers, started Wes Martin and drafted Andrew Thomas, that this could be the offensive line for years to come aside from eventually replacing Morgan Moses.  But seeing this performance without Scherff is big to see, even with the caveat of it being a Jim Schwartz defense, and that he does not do very many elaborate blitzes and prefers to rush his front four.  But that means we won the one-on-one battles against superior talent as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think if the team re-signed Ereck Flowers, started Wes Martin and drafted Andrew Thomas, that this could be the offensive line for years to come aside from eventually replacing Morgan Moses. 

If they fire Bruce, you could do all that and just replace Moses with Thomas for 2 or 3 years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brian23 said:

If they fire Bruce, you could do all that and just replace Moses with Thomas for 2 or 3 years.

I would still get an additional draft pick for Williams if possible.  I don't think it's going to be a second but anything is better than nothing.  

Also I am running on the assumption that Bruce is coming back until it's said otherwise.  

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I would franchise tag Scherff this offseason.  Let him get healthy in the offseason, get him into camp and see how he and Martin look.  If we find that Martin can really replace him we can always trade Scherff before the deadline next year.

Maybe, it's going to much harder to trade a player mid-season then it will be in March-July, especially when teams think he’ll be a free agent the next March and they can sign him then w/o giving up a draft pick.

I think the chance of a tag and trade are infinitesimal . I don't think that anyone is giving up a draft pick and then extending him to the huge deal he'll be looking for . Well likely tag him and he'll have to play for us next year then he'll walk in 2021. 

Maybe next year some top team that gets hurt and needs a guard will give us a crumb of a pick to take him off our hands.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I think the chance of a tag and trade are infinitesimal . I don't think that anyone is giving up a draft pick and then extending him to the huge deal he'll be looking for . Well likely tag him and he'll have to play for us next year then he'll walk in 2021. 

Maybe next year some top team that gets hurt and needs a guard will give us a crumb of a pick to take him off our hands.

I guess we’d get a 3rd round compensatory pick in that case like MKnight & Mike23MD were suggesting and I can live with that too. I’d much rather tag him and trade him in March or April and get a 2nd round pick though then to have to wait until 2021 for an end of the 3rd round comp pick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I would franchise tag Scherff this offseason.  Let him get healthy in the offseason, get him into camp and see how he and Martin look.  If we find that Martin can really replace him we can always trade Scherff before the deadline next year.

Let him walk now and get the third round compensation pick, or run the risk of franchising him and getting a season ending injury?  I'd rather not take the chance at this point.  Only franchise him if there is a view that he is a long-term piece.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Let him walk now and get the third round compensation pick, or run the risk of franchising him and getting a season ending injury?  I'd rather not take the chance at this point.  Only franchise him if there is a view that he is a long-term piece.  

That third won't be until next year anyways, sure there's a risk but we'd also get to utilize him for several weeks before we trade him.  He's also a versatile piece.  Are we really going to hang our hats on Ereck Flowers (who btw isn't under contract for next season), Wes Martin (who's unproven) and Morgan Moses (who's played worse than Scherff)?  Scherff in theory should be able to start at any of those spots.  

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That third won't be until next year anyways, sure there's a risk but we'd also get to utilize him for several weeks before we trade him.  He's also a versatile piece.  Are we really going to hang our hats on Ereck Flowers (who btw isn't under contract for next season), Wes Martin (who's unproven) and Morgan Moses (who's played worse than Scherff)?  Scherff in theory should be able to start at any of those spots.  

Well, I'd also draft a player to compete with Flowers, Martin and Ross P. And yes, if we have to pay Scherff $16 million for good but not elite play, I'd rather use that money elsewhere on the roster and roll with Flowers, Martin, Ross P and another mid-round draft pick.