Week 17: Dolphins at Patriots

SBLIII

22 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Fully expect to get stomped out by TEN. This offense just can't get going, and it's too little too late at this point frankly.

The defense deserves alot of blame too as they couldn't close the deal against the Dolphins and almost let the Bills tie the game late as well. The pass rush is all but gone since the 9-0 start as they don't have anyone got near to double digit sack totals. The secondary can be had and especially if Gilmour is off b/c no one else can cover in the back end as early in the season the secondary was aided by a pass rush.

18 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The defense deserves alot of blame too as they couldn't close the deal against the Dolphins and almost let the Bills tie the game late as well. The pass rush is all but gone since the 9-0 start as they don't have anyone got near to double digit sack totals. The secondary can be had and especially if Gilmour is off b/c no one else can cover in the back end as early in the season the secondary was aided by a pass rush.

I am not sure what changed on defense, man. The first half of the season we were making good pressure, and forcing the QB to throw fast. Perhaps because rookie QBs are easy to fool? Not sure... And anytime they did throw, we were getting picks like crazy.

It seemed like during the Browns game, teams figured out they could run right through us. Then I'd say it was sometime shortly after the Eagles game, we tightened up a fair bit on the run defense, but now literally every other aspect of our defense seems like it's gotten worse.

If our offense was a capable offense, it wouldn't be as noticeable... but the defense has been the best thing going for us and now it's cracking apart too.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1

I know when I say this people will quote snap counts and sack numbers at me, but they should never have let Bennett go. Productive or not, compare the defensive numbers before/after his release and it’s two different teams. Team chemistry is a tricky thing, and when a unit is rolling cutting a name player is bad mojo.

The same can be seen with Brown/Gordon and the O.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lolsurebro said:

I am not sure what changed on defense, man. The first half of the season we were making good pressure, and forcing the QB to throw fast. Perhaps because rookie QBs are easy to fool? Not sure... And anytime they did throw, we were getting picks like crazy.

It seemed like during the Browns game, teams figured out they could run right through us. Then I'd say it was sometime shortly after the Eagles game, we tightened up a fair bit on the run defense, but now literally every other aspect of our defense seems like it's gotten worse.

If our offense was a capable offense, it wouldn't be as noticeable... but the defense has been the best thing going for us and now it's cracking apart too.

Yea I here ya. It's both the offense & defense not being good enough as no complimentary football exists. If we had an 03 & 04 type defense then maybe it could carry them to another SB win but that's not the case. Teams like the 2000 Ravens, 2005 & 2008 Steelers, 2002 Bucs were all defensive units better capable of carrying a lacklusture offense. 

I think the pass rush issue is also about wrapping up the QB as I've noticed them getting near the passer but not wrapping up and bringing down. Also tackling has been a huge issue since the 9-0 start.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I know when I say this people will quote snap counts and sack numbers at me, but they should never have let Bennett go. Productive or not, compare the defensive numbers before/after his release and it’s two different teams. Team chemistry is a tricky thing, and when a unit is rolling cutting a name player is bad mojo.

The same can be seen with Brown/Gordon and the O.

I agree with this 100%. Chemistry is everything and if there is one thing we clearly don't have this year, it's chemistry.

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

You’re right, Every time someone mentions the most realistic outcome for this team Several people do throw tantrums 

It has little to do with the most realistic outcome. Its the fire Belichick and Brady sucks post that get aggravating.

The odds of this team making the super bowl are not good (20 to 1 or something like that) but does that mean that they are as horrible as some people here make them out to be? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

I think it's because inward-cutting routes are open, and QBs are taking it. Gilmore is always playing with outside leverage if the WRs are in tight, the safety is high, the LBs are usually stunting or blitzing, or faking and dropping - there's just a lot of opportunity for WRs who crank it inside quickly. Notice how many slants FitzPrick completed? It was obscene.