Week 2 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

Man, I miss complaining about Vernon Davis not being able to catch a ball unless it hits him in the numbers.  And, other seemingly petty-in-comparison things, I suppose.  It's going to be a long season, but I hope to at least see some changes here and there so I know they're open to fixing things.  If even just to look competitive. I'm not expecting many wins. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure it was against Seattle, but he's a stud. 

He was fantastic this afternoon.  He really jumped off the screen.  Really looking forward to watching him on primetime against the Rams on Thursday and I am expecting him to have another big game.

By the way, the big adjustment we made in nickel situations was moving Armstead instead or putting Thomas inside when Armstead was out and leaving Lynch/Dumervile on the edges. That's the way Saleh has to do it. Armstead isn't nearly the pass rusher from the edge as he is on the inside, even with the weight loss. On base downs, he could stay at DE and dominate in the run game. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Its a process. We elected to focus on defense this year, with a good amount of success so far. Offense will get its time

True it's a process. But this offense looks even worse so far than it did last year or the year before. Brian Hoyer coming in as the unquestioned starter was insane to me as well.

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We ran it more than last week, but still not enough. Didn't get it going until late in the 2nd quarter. Shanny needs to adjust the offense until the passing game gets going a bit.

Yea Shanny loves passing the ball. apparently even when his qb and offense overall is terrible. we definitely should lean the on the running game much more until we get a capable passing offense.

33 minutes ago, Miami49er said:

True it's a process. But this offense looks even worse so far than it did last year or the year before. Brian Hoyer coming in as the unquestioned starter was insane to me as well.

Not much you could have done in the Hoyer situation unless we drafted a guy at #2 or #3, and I didn't want a quarterback at the top of round 1, didn't think that they were worth it. Any veteran quarterback would have been the same, or worse. The best possible alternative was Jay Cutler, and I really don't think that he would have wanted to come here. I could be wrong, but he seemed content to retire had the Dolphins not come calling - I think he was looking for a better situation than the one he would have been given here.

The rest of the alternatives were Kaepernick (whom Shanny could have kept if he wanted, so we know he didn't want him), Fitzpatrick, Glennon, Brock Osweiler...I mean, there's nothing really better than Hoyer. I think we were definitely making some trade overtures regarding Cousins, but obviously that wasn't going anywhere. Jimmy G would have been far too expensive had New England wanted to unload him. Barkley is certainly worse than Hoyer. I know some people like Beathard, but I wasn't a fan of his coming out, and quite frankly, he didn't impress me all that much in the preseason. He was quite brutal in the last two games. So I don't think that's a "better" alternative. Do you give him a shot later in the season? Yeah, of course. But right now, entering the season? There really wasn't anything other than going into the season with Hoyer as the unquestioned starter.

Yeah, there really isn't a go-to quarterback in this context.  Hoyer's experience probably trumps Beathard's upside/ceiling/potential/whatever you want to call it.  Although, if we're going to lose anyway, Beathard can get some experience under his belt.  Just thinking out loud here and not really married to any quarterback at this point.  

Overall, I think that this was a decent game by the offensive line. Brown hasn't given up a hurry in pass protection so far this year, i believe, and Staley is just fine. Tomlinson apparently gave up two hurries, but I'll take that as a massive improvement over what we were getting from Beadles, not to mention the former is a superior run blocker by quite a bit.

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not much you could have done in the Hoyer situation unless we drafted a guy at #2 or #3, and I didn't want a quarterback at the top of round 1, didn't think that they were worth it. Any veteran quarterback would have been the same, or worse. The best possible alternative was Jay Cutler, and I really don't think that he would have wanted to come here. I could be wrong, but he seemed content to retire had the Dolphins not come calling - I think he was looking for a better situation than the one he would have been given here.

The rest of the alternatives were Kaepernick (whom Shanny could have kept if he wanted, so we know he didn't want him), Fitzpatrick, Glennon, Brock Osweiler...I mean, there's nothing really better than Hoyer. I think we were definitely making some trade overtures regarding Cousins, but obviously that wasn't going anywhere. Jimmy G would have been far too expensive had New England wanted to unload him. Barkley is certainly worse than Hoyer. I know some people like Beathard, but I wasn't a fan of his coming out, and quite frankly, he didn't impress me all that much in the preseason. He was quite brutal in the last two games. So I don't think that's a "better" alternative. Do you give him a shot later in the season? Yeah, of course. But right now, entering the season? There really wasn't anything other than going into the season with Hoyer as the unquestioned starter.

Cutler retired because nobody seemed to want him. He didn't retire right away. It was until he sat around on the free agent market for a while and realized nobody wanted him and retired. I don't like Jay Cutler, but he's much better than Hoyer. Hell I don't know why he didn't want Kap. he's not the greatest but again he's better than Hoyer. But since he didn't want him, why not go for Cutler. bringing in Hoyer, a career back up and journeyman, as the clear cut starter is insane to me. It seems that Lynch and Shanahan are content with tanking this first season.  

Just now, Miami49er said:

Cutler retired because nobody seemed to want him. He didn't retire right away. It was until he sat around on the free agent market for a while and realized nobody wanted him and retired. I don't like Jay Cutler, but he's much better than Hoyer. Hell I don't know why he didn't want Kap. he's not the greatest but again he's better than Hoyer. But since he didn't want him, why not go for Cutler. bringing in Hoyer, a career back up and journeyman, as the clear cut starter is insane to me. It seems that Lynch and Shanahan are content with tanking this first season.  

I would have been fine with Cutler. We don't know that calls were made or weren't made, so it can't be said. We could have called the agent, asked if he was interested in playing here, and gotten a no and that was the end of it. We could have just not had any interest, and I would have understood that as well. Perhaps Shanny wanted someone he was familiar with, which is what he had in Hoyer, particularly if he was looking at this through a lost season lens and really just believing we needed someone out there to take the beating, so to speak. I mean, maybe he didn't feel Cutler's personality would mesh well with this type of rebuilding situation. But Cutler was probably the only "real" option for an improvement at the starting quarterback position once we decided we didn't want Kaepernick. And in fairness to Hoyer, His last 17 games or so (over 2 seasons), he was actually far better than both of those guys.

And truthfully, if they are content with tanking their first season (and they should be, given the 6 year deals), I don't hate them for that either. Not an ideal way to start, obviously, and as a fan, kind of hard to swallow, but I completely understand it.

Also, it wasn't lack of interest that spurred Cutler to retirement.

The former Chicago Bears gunslinger announced Friday he is leaving the NFL and joining FOX Sports.

The 34-year-old is married to former reality TV show star Kristin Cavallari. Cutler and Cavallari have three children. The big-armed quarterback previously talked with the New York Jets and Houston Texans before making the move, according to ESPN.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/05/05/QB-Jay-Cutler-snubs-Jets-Texans-to-join-FOX-Sports/5891493993912/

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Cutler talked to the Jets and Texans about continuing to play prior to taking the job with FOX.

38 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Here's an interesting note - PFF has Trent Brown as the second-highest ranked tackle through 2 weeks. Nothing I've seen would contradict that, but it's impressively high. 

He's one heck of a pass blocker and seems to be holding his own in the run game for once. Good to see. Our tackles are definitely the least of our problems. 

I know some of us were worrying if we could surpass the Bengals 4.5 PPG average through two games. Well, we did. Barely though, as we are averaging 6 PPG through two games. 

Not the worst offense in the league!!!! 

I turned the game off after that failed drive with 5 minutes remaining. I knew they were going to lose at that point. I think for the rest of the season I'll just check the box scores on my phone or watch highlights if they do indeed get a win. Not gonna waste 3 hours watching a lackluster team trip over itself while it tries to grow. Ain't got time for that BS anymore. Even as a young team with a head head coach I thought they'd be competent enough to invest time watching this season. Guess I was wrong.

Oh and Hoyer is just awful. Even if he gets some decent protection on plays he can't throw a quality spiral. Also, Goodwin can't catch. Too bad Hyde's career is being wasted on a terrible squad. 

Archived