Packerraymond 2020 Mock Offseason V1

Packerraymond

-Packers will finish the season 13-3 and pick somewhere between 26-32.

-We carry over 9.2m to give us a projected 26m in cap space.

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham (8m gained)

Lane Taylor (4m gained)

Now have 38m in cap

Extensions:

Corey Linsley (2/15, converts a majority of his 7.5m base into a signing bonus that pushes his 2020 cap hit down to 6m, leaves 3/25 left on his deal. He's been pretty good this year, with Bulaga coming back might as well lock down the OL for years to come)

Now have 42m in cap

Re-signed: 

Brian Bulaga (4/44m ; 6m year 1)

Mason Crosby 2/7m ; 3m year 1)

Marcedes Lewis (1/2m)

BJ Goodson (1/2m)

All ERFAs (no cap hits due to rule of 51)

Down to 29m left

Free Agency:

Arik Armstead DL San Francisco (4/50m ; 8m year 1): Here's the big one, 49ers paid Jimmy G, they paid Ford and now they have a choice to pay Buckner or Amrstead, and I'm sure they'll choose Buckner. Armstead becomes a mainstay on the DL with Clark. Lowry moves to the bench as a situational guy with Adams and the base 3 becomes Clark-Armstead-Lancaster. This FA class is loaded. The money needs to be spent here.

Nelson Agholor WR Philidelphia (1/3.5m): Agholor has been marred with injuries and inconsistency and has been a bust for Philly. He's get separation ability and YAC prowess like no one on the roster, which buys him an invite to camp. Agholor gets a year of Rodgers to try and make it and cash in as a 27 year old in FA. If his bad hands and injuries continue worst case we cut him and pay about half this deal in dead cap.

Rashard Higgins WR Cleveland (1/2.5m): Another dart throw to put a guy in that room that has growth potential. Higgins fell out of favor with Kitchens after having an awesome preseason and week 1. Love to see him in our camp with a real coaching staff and see what's there.

Jatavis Brown ILB Las Angeles (2/6m): Loved Brown coming out, bummed we didn't get him and his rookie year showed the kind of player I though he was. Kind of fallen out of favor with Bradley as the DC there and hasn't done anything this year. Run and chase ILB who you need to keep clean, there's 4.4 speed there and some explosion. Worth a look to replace Blake on the cheap.

Leaves us with 12m for the draft picks, carryover or Clark extension.

The Draft:

Round 1: With OT and DL taken care of, EDGE, QB and DB all with enough assets sunk into them, the premiums are locked in for 2020. Gute gets an offer for a team that wants that 5th year option for their guy and moves back to the mid 2nd for a 3rd rounder.

Round 2: Hunter Bryant 6'2 240 TE

School: Washington

Gute gives Rodgers the first move TE he's had since Cook and Finley. Rodgers loves separators, he loves putting the ball in a spot where completion/incompletion are the only options and your classic box-out TE's aren't that. Bryant has improved every year at Washington, he can play anywhere on the field and is going to be a pass game weapon. Run game is not going to be his strong suit but he can grow into it. Having Marcedes in the room will go a long way to helping him there.

Round 2: Jalen Reagor 5'11 195 WR

School: TCU

This class is legit deep and someone is going to fall, There's going to be a lot of late 1-late 2 graded guys and a few are going to make it to the bottom of their tier because teams at the top will have already grabbed Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Higgins etc.. I'll put the  money  on Reagor because he didn't have a QB who could get him a lot of great tape this year. He consistently gets separation though and I think he could be a true slot/outside type guy like Jennings was. He'll come into a crowded WR room with Adams and a bunch of guys hoping to step up and be #2. Adams, Agholor, Higgins, MVS, Lazard, Kumerow, EQ and Reagor is a hell of an 8 deep to go into camp with having only 5-6 spot available.

Round 3: Ezra Cleveland 6'6 310 OT

School: Boise State

I just don't trust Alex Light long-term as the backup LT/RT. Cleveland is a high level athlete with 41 career starts, he can back up both spots while he grooms to take over for Bulaga. also allows Light to learn some OG to be the top backup there.

Round 3: Eno Benjamin 5'10 210 RB

School: ASU

Being one step ahead is always better than playing the reactive game. Both our RBs are FA after next year. Dex gets another year and we add Eno to the fold. 2021 might be a Williams-Williams-Benjamin backfield as a imagine Jamal will come cheap, Aaron will not.

Round 4: Evan Weaver 6'3 235 ILB

School: Cal

Profiles very similarly to Blake Martinez, so he'll do a decent job here and everyone will hate him, perfect fit for a Packers ILB.

Round 5: Levonta Taylor 5'10 185 CB

School: Florida State

#1 DB in his class as a HS senior, looking for a slot guy to replace Tramon. Will need another DB in the mix this year. Taylor has some skills worth getting to your camp.

Round 6: Tremayne Anchrum 6'3 315 IOL

School: Clemson

With Taylor and Patrick gone in FA, we'll need to re-stock the IOL depth. Anchrum has played a lot for Clemson, and has outside experience which we look for a lot in our inside players.

Round 6: Michael Divinity Jr 6'2 240 ILB/EDGE

School: LSU

Divinity has snaps inside, strongside and hand in the dirt for LSU. He's a glue guy for them and not a star so he'll fall into the later rounds, but a guy who can be a backup to the interior LBs and the EDGE players while contributing to STs in a good guy to have.

Round 7: Tarik Black 6'3 215 WR

School: Michigan

Black has entered the transfer portal, most guys with draft eligibility in there end up just trying to see if they make it in the NFL. Black has a serious skillset, but injuries, lack of QB play and an offense that doesn't really feature him have caused him to not make much of himself at UM. Get another body in that WR room.

Round 7: Tanner Muse 6'2 230 S/LB

School: Clemson

Muse has that hybrid skillset that we like to have on the field. With Greene back for 2020 we let Campbell hit the market, Muse steps in to be the backup there while trying to crack the 53 on ST.

Round 7: Calvin Taylor Jr 6'9 300 DL

School: Kentucky

Started as an OT, moved to DL, played some EDGE, got 7.5 sacks this year in the SEC. I know nothing about him, but that sounds likethe weird type of guy you want in your camp in the 7th round.

• Like 2

My only issue is out of all the receivers you brought in, 0 are going to be +blockers. It seems to me that's a major emphasis for MLF and Gute. I'd think the small guy 100% has to bring return/ST ability with him. I'm thinking theres been a shift in emphasis on our WR room.

Also this is off 1 year and I could be totally wrong.

22 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Is this right? After we cut them, we're gonna have 38m in cap space???

I'm not big on a lot of the guys that were drafted, but I'm not mad at the positions you addressed. 

Technically yes, we won't spend 6-8 of it and we'll need 2-3 of it for picks. So it's more like 26-28 actually available.

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

My only issue is out of all the receivers you brought in, 0 are going to be +blockers. It seems to me that's a major emphasis for MLF and Gute. I'd think the small guy 100% has to bring return/ST ability with him. I'm thinking theres been a shift in emphasis on our WR room.

Also this is off 1 year and I could be totally wrong.

Blocking is nice, I don't think LaFleur is trading receiving prowess for blocking skills. He's going to want guys there that get separation and allow his pass concepts to flow better. 

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Blocking is nice, I don't think LaFleur is trading receiving prowess for blocking skills. He's going to want guys there that get separation and allow his pass concepts to flow better. 

No doubt. But pending board and FA I'd assume the lean goes to a guy who can block over a little more speed. 

Also, not saying there isnt a spot or 2 for smaller guys but the 3 relevant ones you brought in are all slighter guys. Like instead of Higgins maybe a Pharoh Cooper who can handle returns has solid hands and is aggressive in blocking

Edited by HighCalebR

Obviously, you don't understand Agholor's stone hands issue so I won't address that because I like the rest of what you did with FA even though Armstead isn't leaving SF. Instead, I'll point out the massive reaches you have throughout this mock, even though I like trading down out of the first round given your logic. I'm just curious as to where you're getting your rankings; serious inquiry, not trying to dig at you here. 

3 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Good job! I was thinking about what the niners would be willing to trade for Solomon Thomas. I'd give up a 4th for him.

This is the more realistic target if we were to get anyone off that SF DL.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Obviously, you don't understand Agholor's stone hands issue so I won't address that because I like the rest of what you did with FA even though Armstead isn't leaving SF. Instead, I'll point out the massive reaches you have throughout this mock, even though I like trading down out of the first round given your logic. I'm just curious as to where you're getting your rankings; serious inquiry, not trying to dig at you here. 

This is the more realistic target if we were to get anyone off that SF DL.

Nelson Agholor WR Philidelphia (1/3.5m): Agholor has been marred with injuries and inconsistency and has been a bust for Philly. He's get separation ability and YAC prowess like no one on the roster, which buys him an invite to camp. Agholor gets a year of Rodgers to try and make it and cash in as a 27 year old in FA. If his bad hands and injuries continue worst case we cut him and pay about half this deal in dead cap.